Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

tubeset suggestions?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

tubeset suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 09:49 PM

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
tubeset suggestions?

The "compact geometry" thread got me thinking. I am about to buy the tubeset for my first frame, and thought I'd troll for suggestions on tubesets. This will be my first "scratch built" frame, TIG welded steel, compact geometry, a 54 cm or so size. My goals are for the frame to be inexpensive (in case I screw anything up, and because I'm going to race on it), reasonably light, and stiff (I weigh 192 lbs).

I have some of the components for the bike; it'll use a carbon fork w/1" crmo steerer, mostly Ultegra parts (derailleurs/shifters/brakes/cranks). I have some reasonably light wheels; it needs an inexpensive stem and seatpost, and I should have enough parts to build my "race mutt".

I would like for it to come in under 20 lbs. Is that a reasonable goal for my less-than-exotic parts and a reasonably priced tubeset? Suggestions? I'm talking $100-150 here, if possible. I've previously bought some stuff from Nova and will probably go there for the tubes.
Old 03-02-06, 06:57 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
light, cheap or stiff. Pick two
Old 03-02-06, 12:06 PM

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While probably true, that was less than useful.

I would like to hear some weights for built-up bikes; I know 17-18 lb bikes have been built with the newer tube sets, but I'd like to hear what a "typical" weight is with similar components and say, Zona tubing.
Old 03-04-06, 12:49 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Call some of the sources you are considering for tubesets. Henry James is a reputable dealer in S. CA. At 190 lbs, a lightweight frame may not be your most durable racing solution.
Old 03-04-06, 01:54 PM

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Call some of the sources you are considering for tubesets. Henry James is a reputable dealer in S. CA. At 190 lbs, a lightweight frame may not be your most durable racing solution.
Go to www.Novacycles.com. They sell to hobbists. Also, there is a tome which covers bike building by Tim Paternak (see https://www.henryjames.com/patman.html). You need to educate yourself on the trade offs of material then make a decision. Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-06, 04:35 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wildwood,

I'm doing exactly that next week; I have talked to Lon at Nova at length and I've been trying to get Bringheli on the phone.

Deanster04,

I've read the tubeset recommendations on Henry James' site, as well as most of the metallurgical and mechanical properties info I can find online. Currently, I am leaning toward a butted but not super thin choice like the Dedacciai 858 tubeset (.8/.5/.8) that Nova offers. Just thought I might get some info from a few people who've "been there, done that", as well as the suppliers.
Old 03-06-06, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also in the same boat. Going to be building my first frame and I know tubing selection is critical. 170 lbs 54cm track frame for NYC streets is the plan
Old 03-06-06, 05:59 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by KendallF
Wildwood,

I'm doing exactly that next week; I have talked to Lon at Nova at length and I've been trying to get Bringheli on the phone.

Deanster04,

I've read the tubeset recommendations on Henry James' site, as well as most of the metallurgical and mechanical properties info I can find online. Currently, I am leaning toward a butted but not super thin choice like the Dedacciai 858 tubeset (.8/.5/.8) that Nova offers. Just thought I might get some info from a few people who've "been there, done that", as well as the suppliers.

Bringheli is way cheaper than Nova. Regarding the tubing, that .8/.5/.8 tubeset is called ZeroUno or Com12.5. It's a nice tubeset but too thin for a 190 lb'er in my opinon. I have a similar frame and can get derailleur rub at will, and I'm 165 lbs. I'd suggest using ZeroTre for the down tube and chain stays, that should firm up the bottom bracket quite a bit, and ZeroUno for everything else.

Good luck.

Ed
Old 03-06-06, 07:53 PM
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stiffness is a result of tubing diameter, not wall thickness though. If you're building your first frame, wall thickness is an issue because it gives you a margin of error if you fry the tubes. Thats the reason to go thicker walled.
Old 03-06-06, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Get in line for Bringheli. Must be a busy time.
Old 03-07-06, 01:11 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I talked to Bringheli today, and sent him an email to order a Zero (Sat 14.5?) tubeset. I understand it should be stiffer than the Zero Uno set (extra heat treat). Any input regarding this choice, Ed, Thylacine?

I am a new to bike frame building but I'm an experienced welder and have done a lot of thin tubing work (headers, intercooler piping), so I don't anticipate too much difficulty welding it up.

As far as stiffness in the bottom bracket area, I have seen a few people putting gussets on their frames at the bottom bracket area. I do this on race car stuff frequently; any reason not to consider it here?
Old 03-07-06, 02:25 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Thylacine
Stiffness is a result of tubing diameter, not wall thickness though.
Diameter has a greater influence than thickness, but thickness most certainly DOES affect stiffness. Why do you think manufacturers make different tubesets, with different thicknesses? At any rate, look up something called the "area moment of inertia". This is a shape factor that affects stiffness, you will see from the equation that thickness matters.
Old 03-07-06, 02:28 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by KendallF
I talked to Bringheli today, and sent him an email to order a Zero (Sat 14.5?) tubeset. I understand it should be stiffer than the Zero Uno set (extra heat treat). Any input regarding this choice, Ed, Thylacine?

I am a new to bike frame building but I'm an experienced welder and have done a lot of thin tubing work (headers, intercooler piping), so I don't anticipate too much difficulty welding it up.

As far as stiffness in the bottom bracket area, I have seen a few people putting gussets on their frames at the bottom bracket area. I do this on race car stuff frequently; any reason not to consider it here?
The stiffness of the metal is not effected by heat treatment, only the shape factor. Given this, Zero tubing is MORE flexable than the others because it's thinner. Zero is so thin you are not going to be able to do much cold setting to straighten the frame after welding so make sure you keep it straight during the build.
Old 03-07-06, 05:00 PM
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which is stiffer - a ø35 tube at 0.7/0.5/0.7, or a ø31.8 tube at 0.8/0.6/0.8? I'm not a Physicist Nessism, but if you want a stiffer frame, I know which tube I'd select, and it isn't the latter.

I wouldn't worry about gussets, Kendall. Most are poorly designed and actually do the opposite that they're supposed to do and are pretty unnecessary on the road bike, even if you are 190lbs.
Old 03-08-06, 12:12 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Thylacine
Which is stiffer - a ø35 tube at 0.7/0.5/0.7, or a ø31.8 tube at 0.8/0.6/0.8? I'm not a Physicist Nessism, but if you want a stiffer frame, I know which tube I'd select, and it isn't the latter.

I wouldn't worry about gussets, Kendall. Most are poorly designed and actually do the opposite that they're supposed to do and are pretty unnecessary on the road bike, even if you are 190lbs.
The 35mm tube will be stiffer, no doubt. But if both tubes were the same diameter, the thicker one would be stiffer.