Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

what's the bike world coming to? (rant)

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 06:26 PM
Coolest Chick You Know

Bikes: trek 330 (ss), schwinn caliente, schwinn cruiser, a plethora of bike parts that could probably make another bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to rant a tad.

I was on my way to get something to eat with my friend Mike a little under an hour ago. After we ate we were planning on heading out seperate ways. Now, Mike has a bmx and comes to play crazy bike games with us randomly but he's by no means a biker/bike kid/cyclist/what-have-you. So we walked there. However, I was planning on riding back home as it's my usual means of transportation - so I walked my bike with us.
And a couple minutes into our short-anyway journey, two kids on bmx bikes roll by in the street and I hear "Get the **** on it and ride *****!!!". And they're both starin me down like it's their job. I tried to see if it was someone I knew which would make that event funny. But alas, just two large men on little bikes yelling their heads off.
Point is - it's kind of sad to me to see a fellow bike-enjoyer haggle me as I cater to my friend's speed. I mean sure, I know the fixie and single speed kids can get elitist too. But ****, I'm not riding to impress anyone here. I see anyone on any bike and I think "Hey, you're neat. Nice bike." Granted, I laugh if it's an IRO (the new black). But mostly, I just enjoy the fact that there's another person on a bike out there and I don't try to find the "un-cyclist" like things about them.

Wow. This got a lot longer than I intended. Oh well. I feel a little better being able to vent.

Meh...
Old 03-02-06, 06:32 PM
Hello.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
cyclist or not, there's always gonna be those ******* ********** white trash mother****ers out there. sweating them is pointless, so i usually try to laugh it off.

edit - damn there's a lot of asterisks in there. i need a filter between my brain and my fingers.
Old 03-02-06, 06:33 PM
Back to being a Clyde....

Bikes: Giant OCR1(specialized carbon seatpost,Terry Fly sadle, Syntace C2): Leader TT frame, Easton EC70fork, Aerolite bars, nashbar bullhorn, Titan Wheels: Fuji Track Pro(2003)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I saw the exact opposite thread to this here a couple weeks ago..

A dude riding a fixie was laughing about a roadie walking his bike instead of riding it...saying what an idiot he was to be walking his bike..

To each there own...

Oh yeah, the "I know what is right for you" attitude sucks!!!
Old 03-02-06, 06:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enough with the ranting! Get the **** on your bike and ride*****!!!
Old 03-02-06, 06:43 PM
Rolling the Hard 6

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^
HAHAHAHA

but seriously... I hate **** like that but there's nothing you can do about it except rant so I hope you feel better now... if you don't go out and ride
Old 03-02-06, 06:44 PM
hullo.

Bikes: 74 paramount track, 80s maruishi track, 70s chesini track.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what i love is the car-bashing that goes on in the more urban city of san francisco among the younger and hipper sets. then going to the suburbs where my mom lives and seeing the bike-bashing that goes on there by the younger and hipper sets in the burbs... (i have had water balloons thrown at me on my own damned street by kids i went to highschool with when i was home once, and riding my bike around at night. they, of course, yelled some homophobic slur as well! as if being on a bike means being gay...) anyhow, so we assume that the dudes that through the water balloon from their sweet muscle car in the burbs in an anti-bike proclamation are "jocks"... well, huh, what are the dudes who shout anti-car junk and throw locks through windows at dudes in cars called when they are in the more urban city? "jocks!" we are all the same, we are one stupid thing. wah.
Old 03-02-06, 06:48 PM

Bikes: 3Rensho, Moser, Inmaculada

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drac_vamp
. . . we are all the same, we are one stupid thing. wah.
Quote/signature worthy.
Old 03-02-06, 06:50 PM
dances with bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RVAbatman
Granted, I laugh if it's an IRO (the new black).
Well, looks like you had it coming...
Old 03-02-06, 06:51 PM
Coolest Chick You Know

Bikes: trek 330 (ss), schwinn caliente, schwinn cruiser, a plethora of bike parts that could probably make another bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 46x17
Well, looks like you had it coming...
Haha well my boyfriend has an IRO and it's so weird because since this semester began you'd think that the IRO's across campus are finding each other at night and multiplying. I use it as fuel to mess with him. We love each other like that hahaha.
Old 03-02-06, 06:52 PM
Coolest Chick You Know

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by masterlink
Enough with the ranting! Get the **** on your bike and ride*****!!!
+1
Old 03-02-06, 07:38 PM
anarchy burger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did you make that apple/punisher skull, batman?
Old 03-02-06, 08:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RVAbatman
Point is - it's kind of sad to me to see a fellow bike-enjoyer haggle me...

I mean sure, I know the fixie and single speed kids can get elitist too...

the end.
Old 03-02-06, 08:02 PM
1>2
N.VA's Finest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A side note: call me an idiot (for I accept the fact that I am) but i assumed RVAbatman was a dude. However I am happy that youre not, for there really is nothing better than a chick on a bike. And i mean nothing. Keep on trucking RVA, love from Philly.

P.S. Do you go to VCU?
Old 03-02-06, 08:59 PM
Coolest Chick You Know

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesse M
the end.
Point is - it's kind of sad to me to see a fellow bike-enjoyer haggle me...

I mean sure, I know the fixie and single speed kids can get elitist too...

LoL nicely done but what I was saying was that I had no idea that other parts of the bike world were as elitist as the ss/fg kids tend to be. Maybe I just didn't see it before but I thought that everyone else were the nice ones and we were the dejected or something.
And the IRO thing - I think they're nice bikes, I ride Suzy's when I have a chance. But like I said before - last semester they didn't exist on campus and now there's tons of them - and I don't scream weird things at kids on IRO's. If I did I think my boyfriend would ulock me to the face eventually.

Secondly, no I didn't creat the apple punisher myself. I found it googling one night but I don't remember what I was originally looking for.

Thirdly, I am and as far as I know always have been a girl. But I happen to be a girl with a large fascination for Batman (comics, blankets, cape, posters). I have jokingly been called Batman many a time by people in or around my mass of all things Batman . It's a problem haha. Oh, and yes - VCU student.