Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Terry Gambit 17" - Good for Boy?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 01:37 PM

Bikes: 83 Nishiki Prestige, 2005 Fetish Cycle SAC with /9 speed 105, 2007 Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Trying to find an inexpensive road bike for my 7 year old boy. He's 4'6", 70 pounds and growing like a weed. My LBS has really nice kids road bikes for about $600. I was looking for something cheaper. There's a Terry Gambit 17" for sale for $250. Is that a possible solution?

Thanks
Old 03-07-06, 01:51 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
If he does not mind the scheme of the bike and it fits, sure why not. Terry as you likely know is a female specific brand (at least it was last time I heard).

I normally am not an extreme color scheme person but I know how important it can be to a 7 year old.

You can get decent bikes for cheaper. 4'6" sounds tall for a 7 year old (I don't have a chart handy or remember how tall mine is). I am not sure if a 20" or 24" will fit him (wheel size). If a 24" will do then check out forum member Dirt Devil. He has a sweet 24" that any boy or mountain biking parent would like for $300. I would think you would be able to find something new for $350 or less. That is what the 20" at least were going for at Performance as recently as Dec. I did not check the 24" prices. Fit should be the first factor in whatever choice you make.
Old 03-07-06, 03:41 PM

Bikes: 83 Nishiki Prestige, 2005 Fetish Cycle SAC with /9 speed 105, 2007 Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks masiman. Yeah, he's tall for a 7 year old. He just turned 7... I really like the Trek KDR 100, but it's $660. Are DirtDevil's 24" bikes road or mountain bikes?

Thanks
Old 03-07-06, 09:46 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
That KDR 1000 is really a nice looking bike. But $660 really is quite a bit of money for a kids bike. If you can afford that without difficulty then why not. For me to spend that kind of money (a significant amount for us), our 6.5yr would have to be racing or doing serious riding with a club. It essentially would need to be their sport. Even then I would pause. It would definitely push me to purchase it if one of the younger siblings was also into riding and could inherit the bike. For $660, you may get 2-3 years of riding out of the bike (best guess before he outgrows it). Just something to consider before purchasing.

Dirt Devil was offering a mountain bike for sale. I assumed you were looking at a mountain bike. There are not alot of kids that are ready for road bikes at that age, especially since many of their friends will have mountain bikes and will want to do trail and trick riding. Your son would not be able to do very many of those things. He likely would want to and eventually would try his bike in the same way. I know I did when I was a kid. My mom bought me a very nice Schwinn 5 speed cruiser type bike when eveyone else had banana seat durable frames. I eventually started jumping the same ramps as the others. It did not take long to trash that bike.

Check out this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-family/177548-why-kid-s-bikes-so-heavy.html (Part way down the page is a picture of his kids mountain bikes and he mentions that he wants to sell it. His son just graduated to a 26" bike)

Additionally here is Dirt Devils member page, you may be able to send him a PM (private message).
https://www.bikeforums.net/members/dirt-devil-34768.html

Other good threads about bikes for kids:
https://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-family/156585-trek-vs-haro-vs-diamondback-kids-bike.html (manufacturer opinions)
https://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-family/176960-bikes-gifts-kids-sizes.html (sizing bikes)
https://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-family/141472-practical-child-s-bicycle.html (practical bike)
https://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-family/148541-cost-bikes-kids.html (cost of bikes)
Old 03-08-06, 11:59 AM
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Kona Unit, Orbea Volata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Massiman is right, the KDR1000 is a very nice kid road bike but has a hefty price tag if you're looking for a starter bike.

My son has been riding and racing mountain bikes for almost 3 years now, last summer he got a KDR1000 as a birthday gift and fell in love with it rigth away. He also got a new Gary Fisher Marlin for this year's MTB racing season. He will be racing road and dirt on our local kids leagues as long as the event don't conflict with each other, in the case of conflict the road events are his choice.

Getting back to the bikes I would recomment a MTB to get started and if the kid shows real interest and commitment then spend the big bucks on a nice bike. Search the forums for kid bike related threads, there's a lot of info on age/bike size and kids bikes.

As Massiman mentioned I'm selling my son's former ride, it's a Diamondback Octane 24 heavily upgraded. The only original items on it are the frame, headset and rims; everything else has been upgraded.

This is the bike that Massiman is talking about that is for sale, asking $300 O.B.O. plus shipping.

He's riding this ones now

Trek KDR1000, no upgrades so far but some are coming.

Gary Fisher Marlin GS, 1 week old and the stem and handlebar were replaced.

Here's the kid on the bike's maiden ride.

Feel free to PM or email me for further info, will gladly reply.
Old 03-08-06, 12:53 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
If that Diamondback does not go soon I may have to pick it up and store it for a year or two . What height, inseam range is recommended for it?
Old 03-08-06, 01:36 PM
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Kona Unit, Orbea Volata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't have that info, I took the kid to the LBS and he tried it before purchasing. I had to put a DH stem (0mm) at the begining and the saddle all the way down.

This is how it looked when new

Here's Diamondback's specs for the 2003 Octane 24.
https://www.diamondback.com/items.asp?deptid=8&itemid=12

Since 2004 they changed the top tube in order to increase the standover clearance.

Let me know what specs of the bike you want to know so I can take the measurements and pics.

Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 03-08-06 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-08-06, 02:20 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Ya, I should just get over to one of the area shops to see how the fits of a 24". It will give me an idea of how much growing needs to be done. The 20" for this birthday should fit okay, maybe a bit big. I am pretty sure it would be about 2 years before a 24" would fit.

I'll let you know.