Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Not taking it easy to recover?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-24-02, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know guys, I've overtrained and am recovering from it. However, I wasn't exactly really taking it easy yesterday, so I went out rather hard. What I did was that I rode to a max of 160+ because I was having some problems with the heart rate transmitter not having enough contact with my chest. Thus, I ended up playing around, going fast as I like it to be.

Then, definitely my heart rate took longer to recover. However, after some time, I used to low intensity workout method to recover. I work at lower than 130 by jogging for about 15 minutes. I recovered very quickly. At night, I took my heart rate again and it was low indeed. Also, when I stand up, my heart rate will reach 80+ compared to 90+ before I went for this hard workout.

Today, I took the polar fitness test and it was higher than the reading I took 2 weeks ago. Now, I'm wondering if it is possible that some hard workout will aid recovery from overtraining. What I have read was to be involved with some light recreational activities to recover. I find that perhaps the method of working out hard followed by a low intensity workout might aid recovery by doing them once in a while.

Does anyone have any opinion on this method of recovery from overtraining because it has led to be believing that it does help. However, there are no research to say that this method of recovery helps as I think people are afraid of overtraining again with hard workouts.
Old 11-24-02, 07:58 AM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I can say is that everyone will react differently to training and recovery.
I know for my self, when I am training 6 days a week and find myself to be over training I drop down to 3 days a week but I keep the same intensity. I have found that to work for me.

Slainte
Old 11-24-02, 08:19 AM
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it is very hard to think how tool along at 14-15 mph helps you....but in the long run it does. not only in heart rate but it also helps with the physical stress you put on your body long term (and consequently your risk of injury)

going slower helps me ultimately go faster. it does such a dis-service to read the race mag's and follow the pro's ---because THEY ARE PRO'S - i need the messages and chiropractors and nutrition that they get. . but i don't.

of course i never go as slow as i should during slow days and never go as fast as i should during my fast days....

but you have to remember to factor in life's stresses in addition to the bike time