Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Prophet or Specialized FSR Stumpjumper

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, I know we're all tired of comparing bikes, but I guess that's one of the reasons for a forum like this, so here goes another comparison. I'm actually going to my LBS after work today to pick up a new Mountain Bike. I'm kind of a newbie, doing a lot of research, now I've finally gotten it down to two bikes. The Cannondale Prophet 600, or the Specialized FSR Stumpjumper.

I'll be using the bike pretty aggressively, but nothing too big. Small drops nothing over 5 feet, and jumping. As well as trail riding, which is one of the reasons I didn't want a downhill rig. I'll also be doing some freeriding and trying to perform light stunts. But I'm a lawyer who doesn't have too much time to practice anything too advanced. I just want a bike that will be durable enough to take some hits, but nothing extremely drastic.

I know the Cannondale won bike of the year last year, and I also know there are a lot of Specialized fans on here, so please give me your best unbiased opinions of the bikes. Thank you...
Old 03-09-06, 11:24 AM
Eschew Obfuscation!

Bikes: 2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX, Surly Crosscheck, 2000 Enduro Expert (sold), 1999 Rockhopper, 1984 Trek 520 (STOLEN-but recovered!), $7 rigid MTB from a police auction (broken, then stolen)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The stumpjumper is a cross country bike. It is not designed for jumping, freeriding, and 5 foot drops. The Prophet is a pretty solid all-mountain bike, and might be a good choice. It is similar to the Specialized Enduro line.
Old 03-09-06, 01:37 PM

Bikes: 1997 Trek Multitrack 730, 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara, 2003 KHS Flite 800, 2005 Santa Cruz Chameleon, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2011 Santa Cruz Butcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you set on a FS bike? I myself have been looking at some freeride hardtails, particularly the Santa Cruz Chameleon, and it looks to be able to do the things you mentioned. Just a thought......*sigh*, I wish I had 2 grand just lying around somewhere.
Old 03-13-06, 02:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The new Stumpys have 120-130mm of rear travel. That should be enough for what you want to do. Although I believe it should handle your 5' drop I don't know as to how many it can if you do it on a regular basis. I hear a lot of guys with XC bikes and 4" of travel are doing 4-6' drops all the time without problems. Also depends on your weight and how well you know how to land.
Old 03-13-06, 05:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went with the Cannondale Prophet, both were sweet bikes, but I liked the fact that you can change the geometry of the frame for some downhill duty. That was the deciding factor. I also like the idea of the Lefty, it reacts with no friction whatsoever...
Old 03-13-06, 07:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just received my Rush frame with RP3 shock. Got most everything I need for build, except front fork is on backorder.
Old 03-13-06, 08:24 PM
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cayman
I went with the Cannondale Prophet, both were sweet bikes, but I liked the fact that you can change the geometry of the frame for some downhill duty. That was the deciding factor. I also like the idea of the Lefty, it reacts with no friction whatsoever...
Pics!!!!!!!! Gosh!Bodaggit!