Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Piranha vs Marlin

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Piranha vs Marlin

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Piranha vs Marlin

So I went to my LBS yesterday and finally got to check some bikes out. They didn't have the Marlin in my size built yet but the guy that helped me had me ride a Pirahna because it was the same frame to see how i liked it. The genesis geometry seemed really nice for where I rode at least. I also got to ride a base Rockhopper but they only had a 15" built and I'm going to need a 17" because that was too short. I'm going to go back on Tuesday to ride the new Rockhopper again and the Marlin. My question though is would it be worth spending $70 more on the Piranha than the Marlin if I decided to go fisher? They have the Piranha for $600 and I think the Marlin is $530 or so. The Pirahna has a better crankset, better shifters, and disc brakes (Hayes MX-2) to name a few things. Would it be worth paying the extra $70 or so now to get that over the Marlin do you think? The only thing I wasn't thrilled about was the frame. And also my a$$ hurts from riding only a short while so I'd probably switch out the saddle.
Old 03-12-06, 11:48 AM

Bikes: doesnt matter. just ride.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm... are you not thrilled about the frame because of the paint job? otherwise, i would definitely spend 70 bucks more to get all of those things upgraded. furthermore, the genesis geometry is fantastic. i own an 06 tassajara that i have upgraded the hell out of. it climbs great and is sturdy on the downhill. you should get the pirhana
Old 03-12-06, 11:49 AM
Custom User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why weren't you thrilled about the frame?
Old 03-12-06, 11:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh sorry to not make that clear. Just the paint job. Not the most appealing to me but it's really not a deciding factor. I just meant to say that's the only thing I didn't really like about it besides the saddle.
Old 03-12-06, 12:01 PM
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then just get it dirty and you won't have to worry about it!
Old 03-12-06, 12:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing I'm kind of worried about with either of these bikes is the Manitou fork. I've heard it wasn't too good. The shop guy said the Judy J3 on the Rockhopper wasn't really much different but it does have rebound adjust.
Old 03-12-06, 12:33 PM
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I could check my self but which Manitou fork is it? I don't have any experience with a J3 but I think you aren't going to get much more at that price point.
Old 03-12-06, 12:38 PM
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking to spend around $600, this bike is an excellent deal for the parts it has on it:

https://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/sc.13/ca...t.A/id.6763/.f

But you'd have to buy it online...which would be okay if you could find someone with one locally to try out.
Old 03-12-06, 12:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a Manitou Axle Elite. It has lockout but no rebound adjust or preload adjust I don't think. It could have preload but I can't remember offhand. Maybe there's no big difference between it and the Judy, I mean they're both low end but I've just read so many bad things about Manitou on here. The more I think about it though, since it's my first bike maybe if it is worse I can start lower so I'll appreciate any newer bike I'll get more.
Old 03-12-06, 01:14 PM
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't too impressed with the Axel Elite that came on my Rockhopper but I'm not sure how it would compare to a J3.

The IH Warrior I linked above comes with a RS Pilot which is definitely a step up.
Old 03-12-06, 01:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't seem like there are any IH dealers around here. $600 is a strech for me already so tossing in $80 S&H and not getting a deal on a helmet and some other stuff probably pushes that out of my range unfortunately. Hopefully I can make my decision Tuesday between the bigger Rockhopper they're building and the Piranha.
Old 04-10-06, 08:02 PM

Bikes: Gary Fisher - Piranha 2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Piranha, and it hurt my ass at first, then i readjusted the seat, and it is fine. Disc brakes and the lock out TPS is totally worth the 70.
Old 05-16-06, 02:38 AM
Team Katana

Bikes: None /cry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the Hardrock Sport, the Rockhopper, and the Kaitai (think 29" wheel version of the piranha) I am totally sold on the Kaitai right now and just looking for a shop that has a Piranha to ride to see if I like it just as much.

Between the two for me I would say the Hopper was more rugged but less stable. the kaitai in this case had a much more comforable saddle, better shifters and derailers, and better geometry. I was on my way to go buy the Rockhopper when I decided to visit this other shop, so I really like the Rockhopper too, and for me to feel that this bike outclasses the Hopper by so much really means somthing.

But each person has a diffrent want in a bike and a diffrent fit, so really you just need to ride them back to back and see wich you like better.

Make sure you have the same size frame and the seat is adjusted the same so you get a more equal comparison.