Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sore sit bones need some advice

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-14-06, 11:53 AM
Day Tourer

Bikes: 93Univega/Carisma/Cromo/7spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just switched from a Serfas RX saddle, (lots of gel), to the Performance forte pro slx. All adjustments are good; height, saddle angle, and fore/aft adjustment. Went out for a 10 mile test run and all was fairly comfortable, no pain anywhere. Very firm support on the forte and considerably lighter as well. The next day though my sit bones were sore as heck. Now, two days later, still sore. Does it take awhile to break in these firm saddles? I am riding about 10-35 miles twice a week, but would like to go up to 40-60, that's why I switched saddles.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old 03-14-06, 01:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blue steal
I just switched from a Serfas RX saddle, (lots of gel), to the Performance forte pro slx. All adjustments are good; height, saddle angle, and fore/aft adjustment. Went out for a 10 mile test run and all was fairly comfortable, no pain anywhere. Very firm support on the forte and considerably lighter as well. The next day though my sit bones were sore as heck. Now, two days later, still sore. Does it take awhile to break in these firm saddles? I am riding about 10-35 miles twice a week, but would like to go up to 40-60, that's why I switched saddles.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Not only the Firm saddle- the sofy flabby butt needs adjusting too. Even if you thought it was firm before- the new saddle is finding unconditioned bits.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-14-06, 01:19 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stop being a weight weenie. Get it over with and get a Brooks!
Old 03-14-06, 02:16 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
With the Brooks, he'd still have soreness until the saddle was broken in, at which point he'd probably also be in good enough shape, sit-bones-wise, to tolerate any saddle.

OP, your sitbones will get used to the saddle. As long as you aren't going numb anywhere or having pain where you shouldn't, you'll be fine.
Old 03-14-06, 03:29 PM
Bent_Rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My advice, (after 20 years on a road and mountain bike) is to ride this.
Be prepared to go fast. And finish every ride tired, but without butt/hand/wrist/neck pain.
And if someone tells you recumbents cannot climb, be advised that I have finished the 5 pass Death Ride 6 times on a recumbent. In fact my average speed went up, because I was in much better shape due to my ability to train better without constant pain.

Old 03-14-06, 07:31 PM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I think you should stick it out for at least a couple hundred miles. Then if you still have pain, try another saddle.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-14-06, 07:51 PM
Day Tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think since I have all the other adjustments okay, I'll continue riding and see if I can break it in. Never ridden on a firm saddle before, always had a soft gel type, 12+ years.
I have noticed though on the soft type that on longer rides some numbness is there.
Old 03-14-06, 08:54 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blue steal
I think since I have all the other adjustments okay, I'll continue riding and see if I can break it in. Never ridden on a firm saddle before, always had a soft gel type, 12+ years.
I have noticed though on the soft type that on longer rides some numbness is there.

Yep, what tends to happen with a gel saddle is the body's soft tissue takes a beating after a while. The gel, while good a first, tends to put pressure on your soft tissue, less pressure on your sits bones, and after some hours in the saddle, this pressure cuts off circulation to this soft tissue. A harder saddle, if properly shaped and adjusted, places the vast majority of the pressure more completely on both sits bones. So, until you toughen up this concentrated sits bone area, you'll be pretty sore, and it could take several hours in the saddle before you get there. In the long run, however, you'll be better off.

For years experts have said we should have 3-point contact on our bikes; feet, hands and butt. I say 6-points, left hand, right hand, left foot, right foot, left sit bone, right sit bone.
Old 04-03-06, 05:19 PM
Day Tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update on sore sit bones. Well I have put in over a hundred miles on this saddle. I kept increasing the mileage on 5-6 different rides, (now at 35+ miles), and the saddle feels okay. No numbness or pain in the groin area.
On a pain scale of 1-10, I would say I'm at a 2 for some mild discomfort, only in the sit bone area post ride. I will continue to increase the mileage up to 40, 50, and beyond and report back. I wish I would have switched over to a firm saddle long ago.

Last edited by blue steal; 04-03-06 at 05:24 PM. Reason: add some more information