Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

FOX FORK Prob.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

FOX FORK Prob.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-06, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FOX FORK Prob.

I just bought a 05' stumpjumper used and the front fork feels really odd. I was riding a rockhopper with Manitou and it feels similar to that when it was going out. I tried adjusting it on the top, still clicking as if something is loose inside but only when I hit something ( not all the time). I then tried tightening the bottom nut it broke completly off. POS. come to find out the entire bolt is hollow aluminum, just snapped! I only put probably 40lbs on it.

So, what are my options?
hope someone can help.

thanks
Donna
Old 03-16-06, 10:24 PM
Always find my way home

Bikes: Madone, 8500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few dtails plz...Which model fork? And what did it feel like? What do you mean by going out? If it feels loose, i.e. when you rock the bike b/f with the frnt brake locked, you may have bushings needing replacement. As for the bolt you can order replacements. Still, id like to know more details about the fork.
Old 03-16-06, 10:52 PM
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the bottom nuts on the Fox is left hand thread, looks like operator error. For the RL models anyway, they come on the Stumpies.
And, is the headset adjusted. The Fox forks are pretty noisy but I have yet to see one that is loose.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 03-17-06, 01:34 AM
Banned.

Bikes: MTB's & a Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rocketdog
I just bought a 05' stumpjumper used and the front fork feels really odd. I was riding a rockhopper with Manitou and it feels similar to that when it was going out. I tried adjusting it on the top, still clicking as if something is loose inside but only when I hit something ( not all the time). I then tried tightening the bottom nut it broke completly off. POS. come to find out the entire bolt is hollow aluminum, just snapped! I only put probably 40lbs on it.

So, what are my options?
hope someone can help.

thanks
Donna
Some people should not have or touch any sort of tools...
Old 03-17-06, 07:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey thanks to those who offered ideas. yeah seems funny that I'm a car mechanic yet break a stupid bolt off my new bike
The fork model is a F80 RL. There's not slack or movement in the headset when rocking b/f with brake on or anywhere else. You said that these shocks are noisy- this is my first FOX Shock. Well it feels smooth most of the time except when I hit a root say I feel a "click" instead of a natural roll. If this is normal great, I guess I'll take it in and have someone go through it. If I can replace that rod-bolt that goes through the right shock it would be great.
Old 03-17-06, 08:31 PM
Banned.

Bikes: MTB's & a Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you get the strut out ?
Old 03-17-06, 10:18 PM
cptn. x-chains sidekick

Bikes: stumpie, xtr, sid, ultimate sd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its because of the the internal lockout most likely
Old 03-17-06, 10:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is the right side, it sounds like you broke the "base valve" at the bottom of the damper cartridge. You'll need a replacement base valve, crush washer, bottom nut, and I'd recommend a new dust wiper kit, fork oil, and a flout fluid pillow pack (do do a standard service while you have the fork apart. Call Fox 1-800-fox-shox ext 6550 to talk to the service department and order the parts if you want to do it yourself. Downloadable manuals are available at www.foxracingshox.com. You can also take it in to any shop and they should be able to fix the problem and do a service while they're at it.
Old 03-18-06, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ndelaude
You can also take it in to any shop and they should be able to fix the problem and do a service while they're at it.
Most shops will probably send it to Fox. Those in my area will for sure. I'f you don't want to do the work, I'd send it to Fox directly. You'll save the middle-man charge and a lot of time.

By the way, what's a flout fluid pillow pack?

Al
Old 03-18-06, 11:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al.canoe
By the way, what's a flout fluid pillow pack?

Al
It is a one-time-use packet of 5cc's of float fluid. It looks like a pillow, hense the name.
Attached Images
Old 03-19-06, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ndelaude
It is a one-time-use packet of 5cc's of float fluid. It looks like a pillow, hense the name.
OK. Got one. Fox told me to use the fluid when reassembling my fox rear shock for the 40 hr maintenance instead of the grease called for in the manual. I ordered one with the the seal kits I ordered for the shock. I also use it to lube the foam rings of the fork that you are supposed to oil periodically. I store it upright, so it lasts a long time.

Al