Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring > Hosted Travelogs and Stories from the Road > Dave through the Americas
Reload this Page >

11.25.02 Moving to new accommodations, Thievery Corporation concert

Notices
Dave through the Americas Fallow Dave as he rides his bike from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, Argentina.

Old 11-29-02, 09:52 PM
In Banff, AB

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Worksman Trike (customized for hauling)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had an easygoing morning. I packed up my things and watched a little TV. I made some calls to try to figure out where I’d be staying tonight. Practically nobody was home. I finally got in touch with a Servas host named Nancy who lives in southeast San Fransisco. She said I was welcome and gave me directions to get to her place by bike. I said goodbye to Elena’s housemate, Mark, and took to the road. It was a nice sunny day and I enjoyed being back on the bike. The San Fransisco hills were a bit tough, but luckily there were only a couple on my way. Actually, stopping for all the stop signs and lights and watching out for cars was more annoying. I pedaled my way through some industrial parts of the city before reaching an area where some people might lock their car doors while driving and try to get through as quickly as possible. After a short climb, I reached Nancy’s home. She welcomed me inside and I met her daughter Nina and 3 grandchildren Tanisha, Antonio, and Adrian. Tanisha is 7, Antonio is 4, and Adrian is an infant. It was clear to me from the start that Nancy is into cooking. She had her two oldest grandchildren helping her crush ginger bread cookie to make the crust for a holiday pumpkin cheesecake. I got my hands right into it as well. When Nancy left in the afternoon for a workout, I played with Tanisha and Antonio. I think they got almost every game out in the house to try out from monopoly to dominos. We had the most fun stacking dominos into a large tower and then making the tower crash down. We also entertained ourselves with music videos on TV. We listened to the latest hip-hop and R&B music videos on the BET channel. While spending some time with Nancy’s family, I learned a bit about this amazing woman. All of her 3 children are adopted and are of a different race than her own. Most of her family lives in Sacramento, a few hours East, where she will be relocating soon because of her job as a technician for a phone company. Nancy has had around 500 Servas guests in the past 10 years and feels that not getting as many visitors in Sacramento will be the biggest drawback of the move. I could tell that Nancy’s grandchildren had benefited from these visits over the years as it was easy for them to warm up to strange new guests like myself. By the evening, I had made new nicknames for the youngins, Isha and Onio. They had no problem responding to their shortened names. I met Ninas husband Antonio, who stopped by to look after the children while Nina went to nursing school. Antonio works for Tower Records in the security department. They keep all the sticky fingers from taking off with the goods. When Nancy returned from her workout, we all collaborated on a nice pasta dinner. It was a learning experience for me to let the kids in on the cooking. They are so into it but it takes patience to deal with the lack of hand eye coordination and flying lettuce. How do you let a 4-year old help you chop with a sharp knife? We worked it out. After dinner, I discussed the details of public transit that would get my butt downtown to see the show. I got changed and departed on the quest. I made it downtown easily but was then confused by the streets that weaved a complicated network amongst tall buildings. I stopped in a dark street to take a puff from the peace pipe before eventually finding my way to the show. I checked out the Roxy Skye theater which had a nice balcony and spacious ground floor. I skipped the coat check and put my jacket near the stage, the place where I’d be spending most of my time tonight. There was a DJ on stage playing some good music. I started moving around, warming up for the main performance. As the place filled up, I moved closer to the stage and met some people close by who were just as excited as I was. Finally, the Thievery Corporation came on and hit us with some good vibrations. A large screen above the stage provided cool visuals on top of the music. An apple stuck with many sticks of incense at the foot of the stage encouraged the audience to match the smoke with our own herbal incense. From the beginning I was dancing around, trying to find enough space to move amongst some stationary spectators. I was too busy feeling the good music myself to wonder why everyone wasn’t dancing. Female vocalists came out and put their beautiful touch on the electronic sounds of the two “djs”, while percussionists added depth to the tracks. They even had a guy on the sitar, which added a great middle-eastern/Indian sound. To finish off the show, a couple of dreded guys came out and gave us a touch of reggae. At the end we were jumping around on the dance floor with one of them and then he invited us up onstage to dance. It was a great ending to a great show. I hung around and danced to some good tunes for a couple hours after the show before exiting to the streets to try and find the correct bus back to Nancy’s. After lots of walking and head scratching, I finally got on the right track. I made it home 3 hours later, very tired, but still feeling good from the great show. Unfortunately I had to wake up the household because the key I had been given didn’t work. I came in and passed out the nice comfy bed. (9 miles)

Peace

Dave
Whirrled Peas - No War!
Old 12-10-02, 12:43 AM
In Banff, AB

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Worksman Trike (customized for hauling)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pic: Tanisha and Antonio pose near our "Leaning Tower of Dominos"
Whirrled Peas - No War!