Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

ever had lung freeze?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

ever had lung freeze?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-02, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ever had lung freeze?

I'm getting over the same lousy crap that everyone else has had here lately...the profusely leaking brain lubricants, the sneezing and pounding head. But the good news is it's just a bad cold and not the ever-dreaded flu. I got REALLY sick about 4 years back and I was recalling that fun time this afternoon as I rode. It was one of those days where the air temp is borderline, maybe about 40+ degrees but not what you'd call cold at all. I thought it was crazy at the time, but I had gone out for a spin and didn't bother with a face mask or a neck gaiter or anything and by the time I got back my lungs felt like they were literally on fire, yet icy, while the rest of me had been totally comfortable. I hadn't had a cold or anything prior to this, so I just figured they had gotten chilled somehow. Within two days I was flat on my back and bringing up some truly colorful stuff, and I was grounded from riding for over a week and a half. Talk about a sanity-tester! Was this just because of the chilly air or is it possible I was coming down with something and it just became apparent after I rode?
I always wear a gaiter now when the temps fall below 50, even if I just keep it around my collar and not over my mouth, but at least it's there.
Old 11-30-02, 08:38 PM
Director @ Bike Law

Bikes: Christiania, Bullitt, All City Nature Boy, Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't get htat alot riding.. I tend to get that lung on fire feeling when i'm running. Though riding in the winter ALWAYS has me lose atleast 30% of my voice all winter. Riding 35mph in freezing weather tends to do that to you.. But I hate the trainer, so I try out as much as possible.

Bike Law
We are your network of bicycling lawyers and advocates across North America.

Women's Cycling
Empowering women to bike more and worry less.
Old 11-30-02, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Amen to that trainer remark.

Just say no to stationary !!
Old 11-30-02, 09:00 PM
Director @ Bike Law

Bikes: Christiania, Bullitt, All City Nature Boy, Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh the only time i CAN do stationary is on rollers.. I bike because I love it.. and I can see things/ do things that I wouldn't be able to do infront of a tv.. anyone can sit on a stationary bike and turn the pedals.. rollers you have to have half a mind to do it... but bla its not biking. yes it gets you in shape, but you don't see the grass, or the road, or the dirt on a stationary..

Bike Law
We are your network of bicycling lawyers and advocates across North America.

Women's Cycling
Empowering women to bike more and worry less.
Old 12-01-02, 04:49 PM
Breaker of Spokes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hehe... you must really haul butt Ars... the only time I get up to 35mph is on a very steep downhill (like at least 11-12% downgrade). In fact, the fastest my cyclo computer has ever registered was 36 mph.

Today was cool... 20 mph tail wind, easy spinning in my 52/14 gear at about 27 mph... and not even feeling any wind.. just peaceful quiet and the hum of the tires on the bike trail... very cool.

As for the frozen lung thing... I do get the burning lung feeling alot. Sometimes in the morning when it's really cold (under 35 F) I kinda get that burning lung feeling, but only for about 5 mins. Once I warm up I don't get it anymore. It's not bad really. I've gotten it really bad only once before... I was in Wisconsin at X-mas, 4 ft of snow on the ground, -10F and -30F windchill. Talk about lung freeze. Geez. Took me 20 mins just to get dressed to go outside everyday.

PBW

Last edited by P. B. Walker; 12-01-02 at 04:52 PM.