Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

"bike users" with no lights...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-06, 04:41 AM
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tonight it almost happened again, some idiot with no lights or reflectors pulls out going the right way for once as I go by... I nearly hit him... dark street. I deliver pizzas and there guys seem to be everywhere on the weekends...

Any sugestions on avoiding them?
Old 03-19-06, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Don't avoid them once. then you won't have to avoid them ever again
Old 03-19-06, 08:46 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by my58vw
Tonight it almost happened again, some idiot with no lights or reflectors pulls out going the right way for once as I go by... I nearly hit him... dark street. I deliver pizzas and there guys seem to be everywhere on the weekends...

Any sugestions on avoiding them?
If you are delivering your pizzas on a bicycle (or in a car) in a busy traffic environment, I suggest you concern yourself with (or obsess about) greater threats to your personal safety than bicyclists that you can't see as well as you'd like.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 03-19-06 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-19-06, 09:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd never have lights on my bike, ever. and the only reflector would be the one on my seatpost.
Old 03-19-06, 10:09 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Get a good powerful headlight if you don't already have one so you can see them as far away as possible. It also will make them stay away from you a little bit. They will hesitate to pull out in front of you also.(sometimes)

I know this guy was going the right way, but if they are coming at you on your side of the road just stop and block that part of the road so they have to swerve into traffic, not you. (Brace yourself for impact just in case, and watch out for handlebars and parts of the other bike.) The brighter your light the more space they will give you, they can't tell how wide you are that way.

Buy some really cheap lights and give them one. Some people who think reflectors look lousy during the day, will still put a light on the bike at night.

It is illegal, see if the cops will respond.

Good luck.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 03-19-06 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-19-06, 10:20 AM
Good Afternoon!

Bikes: Various by application

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kyle90
I'd never have lights on my bike, ever. and the only reflector would be the one on my seatpost.

Too heavy?
Old 03-19-06, 12:49 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is what irks me....at the least these bikes should have a DOT reflector, not one of those stupid tiny ones they have now.
Old 03-19-06, 01:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have my reasons for not using a light:

1. Something else to take care of
2. It can break very easy
3. It takes batteries
4. I'd forget to turn it on
5. It just flat out looks stupid

It's apparently illegal to have my bike the way I have it, yet I haven't been stopped. I'd also, probably not even stop.
Old 03-19-06, 02:07 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

So you'd rather be stupid than look stupid?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-19-06, 03:25 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

3. It takes batteries

It's apparently illegal to have my bike the way I have it, yet I haven't been stopped. I'd also, probably not even stop.
1) quality lights aren't very hard to "care" for...is a battery change a month too hard? Or is plugging in a light to a charger once a week too much?

2) only cheap lights break easily...good lights can be very tough.

3) rechargables work wonders, hardest part is recharging them...and that's easy.

4) that was a lame excuse and you know it

5) how does being visible to drivers make you look stupid? Does using your headlights in a car make you look stupid as well?

Cheap lights will be cheap in quality as well...you don't need to spend huge amounts, but there is a balance point between tough lights and cheap.
Old 03-19-06, 03:58 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by catatonic
This is what irks me....at the least these bikes should have a DOT reflector, not one of those stupid tiny ones they have now.
Please furnish your reason for being "irked." What makes the original reflector "stupid" and a DOT reflector "smart?" How much smarter? And what makes you think the difference is significant in the real world where cyclists actually ride?
Old 03-19-06, 04:15 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
DOT reflectors are larger, and thus can reflect back more light, thus better.

THe CPSC reflectors are way too tiny to be really visible.

Another part of it is per surface area the DOT reflectors reflect back more light, so the improvement is further augmented.

Givne it won't improve on the weaknesses of the reflector, but in the instances a reflector works, there is a bigger and brighter reflection, thus better visibility.
Old 03-19-06, 04:18 PM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody

I have encountered this attitude often.
It is only held by part-timers. When they
start to really ride it goes away.
Old 03-19-06, 05:12 PM
Been Around Awhile

DOT reflectors are larger, and thus can reflect back more light, thus better. THe CPSC reflectors are way too tiny to be really visible
Any evidence that more is better in this usage? If so, why not 12" or 16" or more reflectors?

BTW, what is the difference between visible and "really visible?" If the original reflector is not obstructed and does what it is supposed to, it is only wishful thinking (or repeating the conventional wisdom/mantra) that indicates more is better.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 03-19-06 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-19-06, 05:12 PM

Bikes: 2004 Martin Novato w/ 2004 Burley Nomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

3. It takes batteries

...thats a nice way to die, be hit by a car that doesn't see you...are you looking for a darwin award?
Super Geek
Old 03-19-06, 06:42 PM
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^And then it would be the drivers fault, but that's ok, since when the EMT's rolled up on the scene one of them was heard to say "Humm, no light, but at least he didn't look stupid... ok lets bag him"

Steve W.
Who came d@mn near hitting a rider last night, no lights, dark clothing, dark narrow road.
Old 03-19-06, 06:55 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Any evidence that more is better in this usage? If so, why not 12" or 16" or more reflectors?

BTW, what is the difference between visible and "really visible?" If the original reflector is not obstructed and does what it is supposed to, it is only wishful thinking (or repeating the conventional wisdom/mantra) that indicates more is better.

To answer if more is better, ask if less is just as good. In this case it's not. only hting stopping a 12" or 16" reflector is practicality...it just won't fit easily on most bikes.

And as far as really visible....go drive sometime at night and compare a driveway reflector (which is one of the DOT types) and a bike reflector...which is easier to see and discern distance without prior knowledge of whether it was a bike or not.

I've seen many reflectors, and every single "stock" CPSC reflector I see on a bike, is pretty poor as far as reflection goes.

Older bikes had better reflectors than now. My old Trek 1100 had stock reflectors that were far better than anything you see stock on bikes today. I'd rather see reflectors at least go back to that size, which is at least a compromise, rather than stay at the tiny little spot they are now. The older reflectors were tougher as well.
Old 03-19-06, 07:09 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Mentor58
^^^And then it would be the drivers fault, but that's ok, since when the EMT's rolled up on the scene one of them was heard to say "Humm, no light, but at least he didn't look stupid... ok lets bag him"

Steve W.
Who came d@mn near hitting a rider last night, no lights, dark clothing, dark narrow road.
Is there something that makes the number 58 special to smug self righteous SOB's?
Old 03-19-06, 10:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) quality lights aren't very hard to "care" for...is a battery change a month too hard? Or is plugging in a light to a charger once a week too much?

2) only cheap lights break easily...good lights can be very tough.

3) rechargables work wonders, hardest part is recharging them...and that's easy.

4) that was a lame excuse and you know it

5) how does being visible to drivers make you look stupid? Does using your headlights in a car make you look stupid as well?

Cheap lights will be cheap in quality as well...you don't need to spend huge amounts, but there is a balance point between tough lights and cheap.
1. I'm lazy
2. With me, they wouldn't last a minute.
3. again, I'm lazy.
4. I don't care what you think.
5. It's your opinion as to whether it dosen't look stupid, and for me it does. I personally don't care about being visible to drivers because I'm rarely on an actual road.

Originally Posted by Roody
I couldn't care less.

Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=-

I have encountered this attitude often.
It is only held by part-timers. When they
start to really ride it goes away.
I love assumptions.

Originally Posted by geeklpc1985
...thats a nice way to die, be hit by a car that doesn't see you...are you looking for a darwin award?
Super Geek
Once again, I don't really. Oh, I imagine now some person is going to post about how much of an idiot I am for not being a saftey consious little herb. Ya'll have fun wearing pads, and having lights and reflectors and the lot. I'd rather not wear or use any. I won't and nothing could sway me otherwise, especially these scare-tactics everyone loves oh so much. Now, discuss otherwise as I really don't care what anyone thinks.
Old 03-19-06, 10:51 PM

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. I'm lazy
2. With me, they wouldn't last a minute.
3. again, I'm lazy.
4. I don't care what you think.
5. It's your opinion as to whether it dosen't look stupid, and for me it does. I personally don't care about being visible to drivers because I'm rarely on an actual road.
You're rarely on an actual road?

Where do you ride then? Are you a track-racer? Mountain biker who drives to all the trailheads?

BMXer?

If so, then wtf are you doing in the advocacy forum (As in "advocating" for the rights of cyclists as road users.") spouting off about how stupid lights look? Other than trolling that is...

-Trevor
Old 03-20-06, 10:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm.. Worthy of a response.

I choose a path that's quickest to my destination and it generally involves a combination of roads, trails, ect. I also BMX a little aswell.

Hmm.. I can, that's why. Hey, it's called an opinion. Just because you might like them or think they're somehow a needed saftey feature, then go ahead. I don't. and really, this advocacy forum.. Is bogus. Everday there's a new topic about the same old thing. But that's aside the point. You all can like them all you want, it don't mean **** to me and I sure as hell would never attach a light to a bike. Perhaps it's cuase I like the danger and like having the idea of being smashed by a car. I live on adrenaline anyway. crossing 6 lanes at rush hour is always fun.
Old 03-20-06, 10:34 AM
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha. Good luck Kyle90.

Last edited by recursive; 03-20-06 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-20-06, 10:38 AM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^^ OH SNAP !!
I HEARED THAT ! ! ! !

You da MaN !!

Old 03-20-06, 11:01 AM
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

3. It takes batteries

Please fill out your orga donor card now. Keep in mind that any insurance company will not pay you a cent if you are run over and you will have no recourse on medical expenses. An insurance company will dispute you and claim your negligence in obeying the law caused the accident. Just the same as if you were driving a car with no tail lights and get hit.

You are truly the ****** of the year.
Old 03-20-06, 11:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Umm, you're incorrect. I've been hit before and I didn't have any gear and my insurance paid with no arguement. I also, don't care. You all can be scared of getting hit and wearing and using all sorts of saftey gear. I won't. I'm kinda waiting for someone to tell me to wear a helmet so I have reason to kick their door while riding past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.