Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best light for bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Best light for bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best light for bike

What is the best light I can get for my bike? I bought a cat eye and the bracket broke off the bottom of the light rendering it useless. The light still works but I can not mount it to the bracket on the bike. Kind of a cheesy set up.
Old 03-22-06, 10:01 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by babysaph
What is the best light I can get for my bike? I bought a cat eye and the bracket broke off the bottom of the light rendering it useless. The light still works but I can not mount it to the bracket on the bike. Kind of a cheesy set up.
It depends on what you want to do. If you want to ride 24 hour events (I doubt you do ) a very expensive HID light would probably be your best bet (although I'm partial to halogen myself). If you want to ride back and forth to work and are only going to be using it for an hour or two a day, I'd go with a Niterider Trail Rat (I might juice it up a bit but I like to tinker) or even 2...or 3! But if you just want something for touring, I'd look at something like the Nite Hawk Emitter. It's pretty cheap, has okay light and runs for a very long time on alkaline batteries. For touring I'd avoid rechargables. The shelf life of rechargables between charges isn't that good and you have to carry a charger and find somewhere to plug it in, which you usually forget and then you have a dead battery when you need light.

Now, if you just want something to use while you are in camp, I'd get something like this. My daughter and I used them on our trip along the Columbia this summer and they are very bright, last a long time and have 2 settings. We even used them to explore APE Cave near Mt. St. Helens. They could even fit on your helmet in a pinch. They are a great little light.

One word about lights and touring. I carry a light with me on tour. Always have. Something that I can use if I get caught out at night. But I have never used one while touring...not on the bike anyway. I have never been out late enough to need it. The only place I ever use them is in camp, so I carry one that works well in camp. Do you need one, in case you are out late? Yes. Should you carry one? Definitely! Will you ever use it on the bike? Probably not. But listen to the voice of your mother in your head and carry one anyway
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-22-06, 11:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclo, thanks man. You have been a big help for this newbie and you know a lot about bikes.
Old 03-22-06, 12:09 PM
bificurated

Bikes: Cannondale 3.0 Criterium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frog lights by Knog are amazing. no clamps/brackets to worry about (theyre kinda like a jelly bracelet) and they're $9 a pop.
Old 03-22-06, 07:53 PM
In planning

Bikes: Revell custom tourer,Kona Stinky,Omega TI,Gaint TCR,Simonchinni,Raliegh ti,S&M Next Gen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
buy the best lights I love them check out lumicycle I love their lights. https://www.lumicycle.com/pages/default.aspx