Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Southern Tier: Gulf States/Katrina Update?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-06, 11:00 AM

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm planning a west to east, coast to coast unsupported camping tour starting in April. I haven't had much luck finding info on the road conditions/lodging along Adventure Cycling's Southern Tier.

The route itself is 100% open, but there are conflicting reports on the condition of the roads. Also, I heard many campgrounds are full capacity because of temporary workers and refugee victims.

Anyone live along this route or planning this trip that could give me a first-hand report or advice? Thanks.
Old 03-25-06, 12:14 PM
The Observant One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry. Not a first hand report exactly, but on my tour during/after Katrina last year, I stayed for a few days at Joe Wheeler State Park in northern Ala.
I read in a little local paper that FEMA was putting in 80 trailers there to house people. It was scheduled for the weekend that I left there and I didn't see that happen.
Certainly something to consider.

Last edited by pur1138; 03-25-06 at 08:06 PM.