Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tourning shoes?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tourning shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-06, 08:13 PM

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tourning shoes?

hey guys i was looking to get a pair of cycling shoes, i want to get raod style shoes but i also want to be able to walk around at the sites i visit...I also really don't want MTB shoes because i dont want to get the small SPD pedals...i'm afraid i'll get "hot spots" after riding. So what kind of shoes do you guys recomend that are either SPD, Look or SPD-R compatible and that are walkable in?
Old 03-25-06, 08:59 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe I'm lucky, by I never got hot spots using SPD pedals. My favorite all-time cycling/touring/walking shoes are the Shimano SPD sandals.

https://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=1218

For some funky alternatives that would give you walkability, consider something like these:

https://www.rivendellbicycles.com/web..._clips_straps/
Old 03-25-06, 10:41 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
The SPD are what I use and like them with an MTB shoe. The cleat is not scraping the ground and you can walk pretty normal, except for stiff sole. MTB shoes with SPD are the only pair I carry on a short tour.
Old 03-25-06, 10:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my shimano spd sandals too... but I think if I had to leave for an extended trip, i might get back to toe clips.
Old 03-26-06, 01:10 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Magictofu
I love my shimano spd sandals too... but I think if I had to leave for an extended trip, i might get back to toe clips.
I use clips and straps myself. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good stiff soled shoe that I can use with them as well! All I can find are mountainbike shoes without the cleat, and they're pricey. I don'r like riding in sandals, either, because I'm a clip and strap rider.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant