Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

You're my inspiration...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

You're my inspiration...

Old 05-22-01, 10:54 AM
RAGBRAI. Need I say more?

Bikes: 1998 Mongoose NX7.1, 2008 Kona Jake, GT singlespeed (year unknown).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every day when I am pumping up the hill on the way home from work, I think about my friends here at BikeForums. I just don't feel as if the speeding motorist appreciate the effort I put in...cranking up the hill into a headwind. So, I am giving each and everyone of you a big thanks (and a hug, if you want one) for cheering me on every time I get on my bike.

Man, it's getting thick in here...
Old 05-22-01, 11:15 AM
Dances with Rocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great sentiment Steele-Bike. I must admit I've thought of all of you while crankin' through the woods too. It's a great feeling. I Thank You all also.
And Joe, you done good.

To become a registered member of BikeForums Click Here
Old 05-22-01, 01:03 PM
Mr. Cellophane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto, here. Yesterday, for instance, struggling to maintain 14-15 mph into a headwind the last 9-10 or so miles home (I did a 21 mile route), I was thinking how the drivers in the cars passing me had no idea what I was experiencing as they easily zoomed along, but at the same time, I knew my buds here would. That particular route goes along the lake. Where I get on Lakeshore drive I have about 1-1.5 miles to a turnaround for the 9-10 miles home. It is glorious when I make that first turn and feel the wind in my face for the short hop to the turnaround, knowing I will really enjoy the ride home along the lakefront. But when I feel that friendly push after the first turn, I know it will be a long ride home. No joy in Mudville. Oh, well, the wind just makes me stronger. It is the only resistance I get riding here in the flatlands.
Old 05-22-01, 02:49 PM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if I would ever have started cycling again without the support of BikeForums members, and the boost to enthusiasm (like from zero to ?) I gained by reading all sorts of posts here.

It's still tough getting myself to go out and I have decided I may be trying to do too much (resting heart rate too high in the evenings), so I'm spending more time at the screen and less on the bikes right now.

I'd say BikeForums is the biggest plus I have going for me. Thanks to all!
Old 05-22-01, 05:54 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The members on this forum remind me how much I love riding when life starts to interfere and I don't get time to ride as much as I would like (such as this week). However, all this changes as of Friday, when my schedule returns to something that passes for normal.

Chris

That is all.
Old 05-22-01, 07:54 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Me, too, Steele-Bike. Thanks for starting this thread.

I know I have a really BIG mouth, but my heart is a lonely, geeky commuter. You guys and gals have NO idea what you've done for me. I appreciate you as my friends.

Thanx.
Old 05-22-01, 10:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm an older guy, but not REAL old(52) who has been looking in on this forum for a couple of months, and figure now is a good time to jump in. I have begun riding recently for fitness and fun, and on those days where I haven't been self- motivated, you guys have made the difference between riding and not riding. This evening, for instance, I was not going to ride because I have so much yard work to do. So, I made a deal with myself; mow half the lawn, then go for a ride! So I mowed 1/3 of the back(never mind the front and side yards) and went for a ride. If not for you guys I probably would've just taken a shower after yard work, then sat around and ate ice cream! Instead, while riding tonight, I saw 3 deer, 4 other cyclists(they all waved) and a very nice young woman who called out, "Have a nice ride!" Yesterday, I climbed a small, not-very-steep hill, thought of the people on this forum, and climbed it 2 more times. I feel like I have made some progress in 4 months, and would like to thank you all for the encouragement and inspiration! I would be willing to bet you have inspired more people than you realize. I plan on posting here once in awhile, though I am not always this thoughtful and sane. At times I can tend toward the irreverent, but that should be no problem here!
Old 05-22-01, 10:51 PM
Dances with Rocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Grump
At times I can tend toward the irreverent, but that should be no problem here!
Heyyyyyyy!!! We resemble that remark!

But seriously, glad you jumped in Grump!

To become a registered member of BikeForums Click Here

Last edited by Dirtgrinder; 05-22-01 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-22-01, 11:05 PM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Grump
[...] while riding tonight, I saw 3 deer, 4 other cyclists(they all waved) and a very nice young woman who called out, "Have a nice ride!"
Hey, next time I want to ride along and see those deer wave!

Seriously, it's great how you made that deal with yourself and got going--you will help inspire me, too, and I need all the inspiration I can get.

Very glad to see you here and looking forward to hearing more!
Old 05-22-01, 11:11 PM
Love Me....Love My Bike!

Bikes: Bikes: Giant hybrid, Trek 4500, Cannondale R800 Some commuting 20mi/day, mostly fitness riding - 20-50 mile rides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who puts off yard work to ride!

This forum has inspired me as well.

I'm sure some people are still wondering who the grinning idiot was riding around in the rain in lycra shorts.

It was me thinking of some of these postings!

Old 05-23-01, 12:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
me too, me too...

if it wasn't for you people, I don't know whether I would have had the motivation and knowledge (to fix it when it went wrong!) to keep up my everyday commute to work throughout this winter.

thanks from the heart

claude
Old 05-23-01, 07:32 AM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by Steele-Bike
Every day when I am pumping up the hill on the way home from work, I think about my friends here at BikeForums. I just don't feel as if the speeding motorist appreciate the effort I put in...cranking up the hill into a headwind. So, I am giving each and everyone of you a big thanks (and a hug, if you want one) for cheering me on every time I get on my bike.
I am still the only bicycle commuter among hundreds of employees where I work. This is not a complaint, though, it's kind of like bragging! But this thread reminded me how for years I did my cycling largely alone and without support. Even my wife battled me over cycling related issues until very recently. Go figure!

So now, judging by the responses to this thread alone, it's interesting to note the friends I've gathered from all over the world. What a contrast to before I found this website, when I was happy in my craft, but thought myself as alone as a man on an island paradise! Now I find "we" are everywhere!

On this thread alone, there are people from:

Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Jeff City, Missouri, USA
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Northwest California, USA (amongst the redwoods)
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Malta, Europe

This of course does not include the many others who have not replied to this thread. May I say, along with that malevolent little genius of a mouse in that funny cartoon, "Pinky and the Brain," as he repeats his daily Mission Statement:

"Today, we're going to take over the World."
Old 05-23-01, 08:12 AM
Just Follow Your Feet!

Bikes: Volae Expedition, ActionBent Tidal Wave II, Nishiki Olympic, Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Logging in from Augusta, Georgia (golf capital of the world) I want to add my "I love ya man!" to the list. I have been encouraged, saved money by making wiser purchases, learned alot, and laughed even more.

Hey you guys are OK...you gals too!
Old 05-23-01, 09:43 AM

Bikes: '76 Schwinn Paramout (Liberty) and an '89 Paramount (ol' Blue)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another great thread! I agree with many of the sentiments already expressed. I am also 52, and just started riding about 5 weeks ago. I have been lucky enough to latch onto 2 really great used (FUJI RULZ!) bikes, and I am having a ball. I ride to work whenever I can, and try to get in some decent miles on the weekends. I started posting on this forum, and was actually surprised at the many friendly, positive responses I have gotten! Now, I feel very comfortable throwing in my two cents worth, and when I am having a problem, I don't hesitate to come here and ask questions. Stop and think about it....I live in rural (County population less than 6,000) Nebraska...I have a question about my bike, and I get advice and encouragement from my new friends in Kansas City, Charlottesville, New Orleans, Manitoba, Arizona, England, the 'snowy midwest' and probably a few that I am forgetting about. What an opportunity! As a newbie, this forum is invaluable, and I hope as I get better and better on my bike, I can someday return the kindness shown to me by all to some other newbie!
Old 05-23-01, 11:05 AM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope all of us that are expressing our thanks in this thread, and all the other Forum members, too, not only will be ambassadors of good cycling, but will also tell about how helpful the Forum has been to all of us, when we hear somebody (usually somebody who's only read about it in the papers or watched a scandal-ridden TV expose) make yet another ill-informed remark about how evil the Internet is!
Old 05-23-01, 02:49 PM
High cholesterol

Bikes: Bikes: Trek 730, Panasonic Dx-1000, Giant Cypress, Specialized Crossroads (wife's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty much any excuse to stay home can be answered by someone on this forum:
Bad weather? Try riding in the snowy midwest, or summer in Atlanta or rain in England.
Bad traffic? Read Claude's description of Maltese traffic.
Sick? Poptart raced on Mother's Day with the flu.
Tough ride? Read about Badger's weekend.
Too old? A couple of avid riders here in their 60's, lots of folks over 50.
Recent surgery? JonR's still riding.
Botched brain surgery? racsO deppots t'nsah tI...
Look too goofy in biking attire? Check out Rainman.
Too fat and out of shape? Look at me!

I guess my point is that we often find ourselves trying to live up to the example of people we admire, and there are plenty of folks to admire here. Thanks to you all for helping me get up, get out and get spinning.

carl
Old 05-23-01, 08:28 PM
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hah,
Somtimes when I am leaving for work I think, "oh geez, I gotta do this biking thing again*", Then I think,"But what will mike think of me if I drive? " That thought always keeps me on my bike.

*(now understand, I only think this when I have been up till 2 am waiting for all my BFC buddies to get on)
Old 05-23-01, 09:12 PM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by fubar5
*(now understand, I only think this when I have been up till 2 am waiting for all my BFC buddies to get on)
Fubar, this has got to stop and you must start logging off at a more decent hour, like maybe 1:45 AM!!! :sleep:
Old 05-24-01, 07:44 AM
Mr. Cellophane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pete, we haven't even heard from the guys from England, Wales, The Netherlands, Hong Kong, etc.. Of course, Campag Fetish Boy was headed out to tackle his favorite descent. We may have to wait til he gets out of the hospital.

Grump and Bill, good to have a couple of new members in the over-50 crowd. You see how those whippersnappers Pete Clark and HogWild (40-somethings) give me no respect. Hey, HogWild, you been talkin' to Rainbabe (Motto: You're going out in PUBLIC dressed like that?")?

I can't begin to say enough nice things about the wacky people on this forum.

Regards,
Raymond
Old 05-24-01, 08:02 AM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by RainmanP
Grump and Bill, good to have a couple of new members in the over-50 crowd. You see how those whippersnappers Pete Clark and HogWild (40-somethings) give me no respect.
Yes, this is true, those who are of greater years are necessary to
show those coming after the way. It is the elders of BikeForums
that maintain it's sanity.

YYYaAAAAHHHH@!@@@!!!!

(See, that just slipped out before I could grab it!)
Old 05-24-01, 10:29 AM
Mr. Cellophane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pete,
Actually people like you, Cambronne, MichaelW, Mike, Steve, Cheryl, Jean, etc., are the elders of the BikeForums in cycling years. We older beginners are learning from all of you.

And isn't the proper spelling:

YYYYaAAAAHHHH@!@@@!!!!

rather than

YYYaAAAAHHHH@!@@@!!!!

See, Grump, we have to keep these young ones in line.
Old 05-24-01, 02:22 PM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by RainmanP
And isn't the proper spelling:

YYYYaAAAAHHHH@!@@@!!!!

rather than

YYYaAAAAHHHH@!@@@!!!!

I guess the disappearance of the spell checker is causing headaches, after all... (See separate thread)
Old 05-24-01, 10:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gee, I didn't feel like an adult until sometime in my forties, and now suddenly I'm an elder. Guess I better start acting like an elder, so listen up, whippersnappers! Back in my day we rode up hills then turned around and rode them up again, because in those days they only went one way: UP! And the wind, by gum the wind! Always blowin' in your face, it was. Never a tail wind to help your arse up those one way hills! Matter of fact, it still feels that way. Aw, you'll find out when you're an "elder!" Believe me, your day is comin'! Seriously though, folks, I have a friend 86 years old who still rides a bicycle. He is truly one of a kind and a real inspiration. He wears an old hard hat and rolls both of his pants legs up when he rides. What a sight, those bony old legs pumping like crazy! Gotta love the old guy, I hope to be able to still ride at 86!
Old 05-24-01, 10:32 PM
hyperactive ferret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Golly! If forty-somethings qualify as "whippersnappers," I hate to think of what I'd be considered. I am but a lad of twenty.

Perhaps that puts me in the category of "punk-kid"?
Old 05-25-01, 12:02 AM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by LightBoy
Golly! If forty-somethings qualify as "whippersnappers," I hate to think of what I'd be considered. I am but a lad of twenty.

Perhaps that puts me in the category of "punk-kid"?
How about "hope for the future"?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.