Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

The Injury Thread!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

The Injury Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 01:12 AM
Mullet Boy!

Bikes: a giant upland 03, old europia road bike or something and soon to be getting a Norco Bigfoot or something of the sort

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Injury Thread!

well, today I skidded out in my driveway, it was wet and now I gouged a knee out, I will post a pic later. Post your injuries aswell!
Old 04-03-06, 01:31 AM
Long haired freak.

Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last season I needed a total of 34 stitches. I broke one rib really bad, bad enough it hit my kidney and bruised a bunch more. Broke my hip, and got 4 concussions. I also broke a finger and a toe (toe is a long and stupid story)

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

Old 04-03-06, 01:35 AM

Bikes: doesnt matter. just ride.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
although ive never broken a bone, about three weeks ago i got mad poison oak all over my legs. it sucked blue whale
Old 04-03-06, 04:07 AM
Ride bike or bike ride?

Bikes: MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All in the one daym bruised ribs in race, destroyed ankle in expression session after race.
By stuffed, ruptured, broken ligaments, chipped bone, dislocations..... was out of action for quite a while.
Old 04-03-06, 06:12 AM
Just Ride

Bikes: 2005 Giant Yukon with the works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't really had any major injuries yet. The worse is probably slipping on my stock metal pedals that came on my Giant, it ripped my left shin apart which left scars i hope that heel. Other little injuries include bad skinned hands which happened today (forgot to wear gloves), as well as a bad skin grave on my right leg which also happened today.

It doesn't worry me at all though as you do come across little injuries like these when biking.
Old 04-03-06, 06:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a broken collarbone (Um, don't try jumping a roadbike with the bars turned up!) Numerous mashed toes, assorted mashed fingers, and some extensive roadrash.
Old 04-03-06, 06:40 AM
Hazardous

Bikes: 2005 Trek Liquid 55, 2009 Haro Mary SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Face planted on a wooden walkway after falling off a picnic table on my bike. Wasn't wearing a helmet (I know, I was stupid ) Ended up knocking out two teeth, fractured maxilla, broke my nose, severe concussion, and several other lesser injuries. Other than that one incident, I haven't had too many bad injuries. Just the usual scrapes and bruises.
Old 04-03-06, 06:54 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bent my wookie -Ralph Wiggums
Old 04-03-06, 07:48 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
So far all I have only had a few cycling related injuries:

Fractured collarbone
Seperated shoulder
Stitches in hand
Fractured ribs
Bruised kidney
Prostatis (twice)
Sprained wrist (still bothers me almost a year later)
Messed up knees
Tendenitis in elbows
Broken bone in foot (still bothers me 9 months later)

I've had a couple others I can't really remember. God I love this sport!!!!
Old 04-03-06, 09:14 AM
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LowCel
So far all I have only had a few cycling related injuries:

Fractured collarbone
Seperated shoulder
Stitches in hand
Fractured ribs
Bruised kidney
Prostatis (twice)
Sprained wrist (still bothers me almost a year later)
Messed up knees
Tendenitis in elbows
Broken bone in foot (still bothers me 9 months later)

I've had a couple others I can't really remember. God I love this sport!!!!
My list of injuries is ALMOST as lengthy , But I can't remember most of them . Maybe that's a product of never wearing a helmet unless I was forced to (races) . I do wear one now when I ride . I never thought it would happen, but I seem to be getting more mature as 40 creeps nearer .
Old 04-03-06, 01:19 PM
Crusty GrindCore

Bikes: I'm between bikes at the moment, looking into a Claud Butler though

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only serious injury came out in Banff about 3 years ago, I was new to mountain biking. My brother took me to this one campground where the campsites were setup in almost perfect halfpipe formation, with trees and bush in the valleys.

I rode off the lip off one campsite, landed on the tranny and rode out okay and was so happy I landed it that I looked back for a second (don't know why). When I looked forwards again, I was feet away from a tree, slammed on the front brake (another rookie mistake) and landed teeth first into the ground, put a nice hole in the bottom of my lip and bled for about 3 hours. No stitches here.
Old 04-03-06, 01:22 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tons of scratches, road rash, and abrasions. Broke left arm all the way through riding a bmx bike.
Old 04-03-06, 02:01 PM
Year-round cyclist

Bikes: Oryx Equipe 50, Gary Fisher Cobia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted this in another thread but this thread is more fitting to the story:

"My front fork broke off right at the head tube (going about 20 km/h) with no warning and I slammed my face into the pavement. 65 stitches in the right side of my face and ear (half torn off), four hours of surgery and three days in the hospital later I went to the nearest bike shop, bought another used bike and biked home. The doctors were surprised that I didn't break any bones or have a concussion. My face absorbed the whole impact (no other part of my body had any road rash including my hands). That is when I truly fell in love with biking.......I am stubborn.

Lesson learned-

#1- always check over used bikes before you buy them because it is your own damn fault if you don't.

#2- wear a helmet (probably wouldn't have helped in this situation as it was my face that hit not my upper head) because I got very lucky and sooner or later I will be glad I wear that helmet.

Side story.....I distinctly remember the EMTs getting mad at me because I was looking in the reflection from the back door window to see how bad it was.......it was bad, I could see cheek bone."
Old 04-03-06, 11:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just cruising along from the trails to the parking lot after a ride at the local ski resort (in the summer) and did not see the 6" step-down transition in the pavers. Not a big drop by any means but, front tire went down and the bars were no longer in my hands, and felt like I was thown from my bike. Landed on the palms of my hands thankfully, but they got so bruised that I had problems for months riding my bike and using tools at work!
Old 04-03-06, 11:44 PM
cptn. x-chains sidekick

Bikes: stumpie, xtr, sid, ultimate sd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
most recently stitches near ankle for a 3 inch gash while riding
Old 04-04-06, 06:02 AM
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ya know Hopper and LowCel...I thought I was accident prone

Now I feel better. I've only chipped a tooth during a face plant, and severely sprained (i.e. couldn't run for a month) an ankle during a stack up on a technical downhill.

Skis and Motorcycles on the other hand
Old 04-04-06, 08:06 PM
so cal rider

Bikes: '06 hardrock sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just my broke my wrist a week ago and have to have a cast on for 6 weeks, thats about it aside from all the scars on my shins from my pedals.
Old 04-05-06, 01:04 AM

Bikes: Stumpjumper FSR 30th Anniversary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by concernicus
although ive never broken a bone, about three weeks ago i got mad poison oak all over my legs. it sucked blue whale
did that last summer - gotta love all that poison oak around here.

I've been damn lucky with other injuries. Somehow ended up flying over the bars at about 15 mph on a descent a month ago and after tumbling for 30-40 ft (unclipped on the way over ) I stood up and did nothing other than jack up my thumb a bit; don't know how, but it is still bothering me.

Hockey bought me a knee surgery, and the other things I've done since have bought me 5 more...knock on wood.
Old 04-05-06, 01:46 AM
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb-chop
I've been damn lucky with other injuries. Somehow ended up flying over the bars at about 15 mph on a descent a month ago and after tumbling for 30-40 ft (unclipped on the way over ) I stood up and did nothing other than jack up my thumb a bit; don't know how, but it is still bothering me.

I flew down a long wooden ramp on the trails around here, tried to correct my course to hit the bridge I was coming to, front wheel started scooping sand, and 6 seconds later I'm yelling at my friend for missing it, while trying to figure out exactly HOW I caught my bike with my feet as it was falling on me. 1" scrape on my left elbow - falls are always better when you have no idea they're coming.
Old 04-05-06, 01:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a fairly careful rider but injuries are bound to happen to everyone.

Besides the usual nicks and scratches from branches and thorns, and the discolored shins from scarring, I've had one nasty fall on some rocks that tore a chunk out of my forearm/elbow area. I could see all the white muscle tissue, and some of it was probably bone. Didn't bleed a drop until about 20 mins later, which was very strange. The wound was too much of a mess to get stitches, and has since healed up very well.

I wound up in a tree once and was hanging almost upside down. An unknown flat tire + speed + hidden log = flight. I clipped out and landed on my back/neck and it's been giving me trouble since. Lesson learned: have your pedals looser than you think you would need them. lol

My bike's been alright though. Thats what counts.
Old 04-05-06, 01:39 PM
later

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my first major injury was torn cartiladge in my knee, that hurt like hell, but the severe pain only lasted a day or so...

the second was slipping a disc in my back, the surgery/recovery was extremely painfull, and lasted a lot longer..
Old 04-05-06, 11:57 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Last season I broke some ribs..hard to post that.
Old 04-06-06, 12:22 AM
we're all human

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get the usual scrapes and bruises. I broke a rib and a foot six months back. Most of my injuries comes from other sports though, dirtbiking, surfing, skateboarding, and snowboarding.
Old 04-06-06, 10:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nbgrom
I get the usual scrapes and bruises. I broke a rib and a foot six months back. Most of my injuries comes from other sports though, dirtbiking, surfing, skateboarding, and snowboarding.
Yeah, dirtbiking has been harder on me than anything else. Of course the broken wrist on the skateboard kind of sucked also.
Old 04-06-06, 10:25 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
Ya know Hopper and LowCel...I thought I was accident prone

Now I feel better. I've only chipped a tooth during a face plant, and severely sprained (i.e. couldn't run for a month) an ankle during a stack up on a technical downhill.

Skis and Motorcycles on the other hand
Most of my injuries happened three seasons ago. At that point I was really trying to get better at my technical riding. If I couldn't clear something I would walk back up the trail and try it over and over again. That season I went over the bars at least 60 times. I did manage to get a whole lot better so it was worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.