Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Project Bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Project Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-02, 02:34 PM

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Project Bike

I don't have any particular question in mind, I just wanted to get peoples' feedback and ideas on this. I'm putting together a project bike over the winter with an inexpensive, decent, road and light trail bike being the objective. So far I've got: a Nashbar steel ATB frame, Rock Shox Judy fork, fsa orbit headset, Azonic ORC stem ($5), Icon matador bars, Tomac bar ends, Ritchy seat post, AWG comp saddle, used Seguino Impel cranks with Shimano square taper bb, Shimano 536 pedals, and a Nashbar quick-release seat post binder bolt. I have yet to get wheels/tires (Shimano LX/Rhno Lite) and a component set (probably shimano xt). With the above listed parts I've spent $277 so far. My goal is to come in under $500 for the whole thing and have a decent bike that's fun to ride that's %100 built by me. I'm just curious as to how other people would tackle the same project and their ideas as to: components, where to get the cheapest parts, and mechanical advice, and especially feedback from people who've done this and their suggestions for cutting cost and parts selection.
Old 12-09-02, 07:57 PM
I ride a REAL Schwinn!

Bikes: Lemond Nevada City (stock), '00 Schwinn Moab 3 (very upgraded)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One suggestion for cutting cost-

I don't know that you'd need to go with XT for the kind of bike you are saying you want to build. I would think that LX, possibly even Deore, would work fine for the type of use you described if your really looking to cut cost on the project. If you do decide to go for the XT, Performancebike.com is having a sale on Shimano Xt 9spd shifters for $50. This is the cheapest I've seen them lately. I know you can get some pretty good deals on LX stuff at jensonusa right now too. The Rhyno Lites might also be overkill for the application. Remember the roatating weight is what you feel the most on the bike, so a lighter wheelset might be worth it. They would certainly last forever, but you might be able to save some cash and ease of pedaling on the road with a different set. Lighter wheels wouldn't necessarily be more expensive-the Rhyno Lites are built up to take the demands of heavy trail riding. You might be able to get a similar priced set at an equal price with lighter weight. It depends on your weight also though. If your a bigger rider or you have really rough roads, you might want the durability of the Rhyno Lites. Make sure to get some tough-compound fast-rolling tires too as it sounds like most of the riding will be on the road/light trail riding. Hope this helps.

-Moab
Old 12-09-02, 08:27 PM
I ride a REAL Schwinn!

Bikes: Lemond Nevada City (stock), '00 Schwinn Moab 3 (very upgraded)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Made a mistake with the price of the XT shifters. They are $60, which still isnt a bad price. The rear derrailleur is 35 though, which isnt bad either if I remember the prices at other places correctly.

-Moab
Old 12-10-02, 02:28 PM

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're right. The LX is a good way to go too (an option I was considering-which would also allow me to use some old LX parts) I just like the performance of the XT upgrade so much on my other bike. As for the Rhyno Lites, I am 6'2" #250-durability is a big concern for me and these have a good reputation for holding up for bigger riders. Pricepoint has them for $94.98 with skewers. If I go for those wheels with my old LX components, I should come in right around $400. Thanks for the input.