Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New tire/rim compatability

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-06, 01:15 PM

Bikes: 1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is for all you 50 Plussers with more tire experience than I.

It's time for some new tread. I am currently using Ritchie Speedmax Cross 700x35 on Salsa Delgado X rims that are 22.5mm wide. According to what I read (Sheldon Brown), the 35's are at the low end of what is recommended for rims of this width. I wanted to try some tires that might be better for road riding although I do ride on hard-packed dirt roads with some loose sand areas at times. I had been considering the Riv. Roly-Poly but, at 27mm, are they going to be too narrow? Any suggestions on a 35 or 37mm tire that would be better for road riding?

Thanks guys for any suggestions. P.S. After having some knee problems in Dec., I dropped a washing machine on my foot and broke it. Just now getting back on the bike and I am considering this as my official beginning of dedicated riding. So, just as the smoker goes public to add to his commitment to quit, I am going public with you ladies and gentlemen to really restart my cycling. I promise to keep you posted

Rick
Old 04-09-06, 01:35 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Turtle:

You don't say what your bike is, but I grew up in the area and first started riding in 1970 while in college there (remember Bugs N' Bikes on 34th?) I have a good idea of your terrain.

I suggest one of the Schwalbe Marathon in a 32 or larger. Great for the road but can be ridden off road some also. I'm not afraid to hit the dirt roads on mine provided it is only a few miles.
Old 04-09-06, 01:45 PM

Bikes: 1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
Turtle:

You don't say what your bike is, but I grew up in the area and first started riding in 1970 while in college there (remember Bugs N' Bikes on 34th?) I have a good idea of your terrain.

I suggest one of the Schwalbe Marathon in a 32 or larger. Great for the road but can be ridden off road some also. I'm not afraid to hit the dirt roads on mine provided it is only a few miles.
Hi Monoborracho, that is when I started riding also, at Tech in the early 70's. I had a Motobecane Gran Record then. I now ride a Surly Cross Check I built up in '03 but haven't spent enough time on it . The Marathons are the tires I am considering if I stay with 35's. Just didn't know if 28's would be too narrow for these rims.
Old 04-09-06, 05:35 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
turtleguy54,
The width on Sheldon's chart is the inside dimension of the rim. I wouild guess that is about 19-19.5mm which puts a 28 tire in the ballpark. also found this quote on the speedgoat.com site

Q: What is the smallest road tire I can run on this rim...23? John, 10/22/2005

A: I don`t think a 23 would work, too small. We probably wouldn`t go below a 28mm. You might want to contact Salsa. You can find contact info at www.salsacycles.com.

I don't have delgado rims but as for tires, I really like the Continental Sport Contact 32 for the road on my fixed gear bike. The are almost slick with a small amount of siping to carry the rain away. I run 85psi which is the recommended max.... soaks up the bumps well. They are not cheap at $29.00 ea. and can be hard to find but I will buy another set when these wear out.

Conti Sport Contact

HTH,
Dogbait

Last edited by Dogbait; 04-09-06 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-09-06, 06:09 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use and absolutely LOVE the WTB (Wilderness Trail Bicycles) "Silckisaurus" 700x37. They aren't as wide as they seem! I also find that these are the most "predictable" tires I've ever ridden - I can lean to alarming angles and the tires maintain control and traction even over bumps and at high speeds! Although rated at 85 psig, I routinely ride mine at 100 psig without problems. I've worn out my first pair in a year and just ordered replacements of the same make and model. I've ridden tires as narrow as 23 mm, and still do if I want to ride a half-century or more, but for everyday riding and training, Slickisaurus is for me! No flat problems, no drama, easy pedaling, and spectacular reliability. WTB hit a home run with this model.
Old 04-09-06, 06:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the helpful replies. I think I will check out the different Marathons first. I would like a tire though that will allow me to comfortably do 50-100 mile rides. That's why I thought the 28's might be better although I don't really think the rolling difference would be that noticeable.