Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Route suggestions - DC to Ches.Bay ferries

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-01, 12:25 PM
yahmanal

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Anyone here have a recommended route(s) from Washington, DC, to one of the Chesapeake Bay ferries -- Point Lookout, MD, or Reedville, VA -- that runs over to Crisfield, MD? Suspect most of the "blue roads" once outside the District itself afford reasonable cycling. But would welcome any advice regarding a) how best to exit the District, and b) routing to either of those two ferry locations. Many thanks.

Old 05-24-01, 01:24 PM
Donating member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Again, for Point Lookout, I would take Metro, DC's subway system, to bypass the district. The Green Line goes south into Prince George's County, last stop is Branch Avenue. You can ride on weekdays before 7 AM, from 10-4, and after 7 pm, I think. You can board at either end of any subway car. Also, you have to use the elevators, not the escalators at the stations. I think the Metro's web address is www.wmata.com.
Old 05-24-01, 01:56 PM
yahmanal

Thanks, Nitter. I do recall your name and your earlier post on a different board. However, I confess having lost that response and regrettably I had no way of getting back to you.

What's more, I don't recall your having suggested the Metro as being the recommended way to get out of the District. That certainly sounds like the quickest and safest way, but is there any way out on two wheels heading toward one of those two ferry locations? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-24-01, 02:26 PM
Donating member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry if my wording confused you. While I talked some about the route in MD earlier, I did not mention Metro. In my opinion, riding south from downtown DC is dangerous, due to the type of neighborhoods you ride through. On the Virginia side, you can take a bike path along the Potomac to Mount Vernon after crossing the Potomac on Memorial Bridge near the Lincoln Memorial. That's all the help I can give you.
Likes For Nitter:
Old 05-25-01, 07:10 AM
yahmanal

Nitter - Read you loud and clear ... one reason for my routing request to begin with. Appreciate your help.

Old 06-25-01, 01:27 PM
BFSSFG old timer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hope this isn't to late, I'm usually not on this thread. Here is a link with lots of MD related bike links. Also, you can get free bike route maps from the Maryland Department of Transportation. Just go to their web site and fill out a form. It's a little difficult to find the bike info at first, but poke around, it's there. Good luck.
Old 06-25-01, 04:37 PM
NOT a weight weenie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Nitter. I would not ride through Southside D.C. Either go west out of D.C. or go out the East side and loop down. I know that is long, but anything to avoid the Southside!