Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Is Big George done for the season?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 11:53 AM
ride on !!!!

Bikes: Felt F2, Cannondale CAAD 8, Motobecane Immortal Force, Intense Uzzi Sl MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In VeloNews, it says that George is going to go under the knife for a shoulder injury caused by his falls at the Paris-Roubaix. Does anyone know if he is done for the season?
Old 04-10-06, 12:01 PM

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think there has been any "official" comment on what the prospects are for the rest of the season, but here's what Bruyneel had to say about the accident:

"George has a separated shoulder, it's not fractured but it has separated from the articulation. He's flying back to the USA and will have to have surgery soon. I agree with the theory that's out there that his first crash at 30 kms probably set the stage for the big crash later. Section after section the vibrations just kept coming till the steerer tube just came apart and sheered off right under the stem. I saw the crash on TV in the car and from the moment we arrived at the scene soon after I knew that was it, he was done for the day. And then I had to make a hard decision; we had to go there and check on George but I could only talk to him quickly. We had to move on with two guys still in the front of the race. It was very weird to have to leave him on the side of the road like that… I knew they had plenty of people who would take care of him, but I really felt bad and after the race told him so. But he said he completely understood and he knew what we had to do. All I could say to George on the bus later was it could have been worse - a lot worse - the consequences were small compared to what they could have been."
Old 04-10-06, 04:33 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Trek MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I replied elsewhere, I thought I read somewhere that after surgery George will be off the bike for 15 days. Assuming surgery goes well, pain dissipates, no reoccurence of injury, I don't see why he can't come back for the Tour...maybe not in the best of shape, but it's still almost three months away.

MArk
Old 04-10-06, 11:30 PM
ride on !!!!

Bikes: Felt F2, Cannondale CAAD 8, Motobecane Immortal Force, Intense Uzzi Sl MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I am not a huge Discovery fan; but I would just hate to watch the tour with out him!
Old 04-11-06, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No way........

most pros would be riding the rollers (upright) a few days after any surgical procedure and back on the road in a couple of weeks or so.
Old 04-12-06, 06:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lasted news I have heard is that he won't be needing surgery and should ba back on the bike in a week or so.
Old 04-12-06, 08:05 PM

Bikes: Look 586, Look 566, Ghost SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shawnj73
In VeloNews, it says that George is going to go under the knife for a shoulder injury caused by his falls at the Paris-Roubaix. Does anyone know if he is done for the season?
The Paceline says that he is out of the Tour de Georgia but will return in time for the Dauphine. As well he did not have to have any surgery done on the shoulder as it was a third degree separation and not a break as originally thought. The site says that he will be off the bike for 7 to 10 days.
Old 04-12-06, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Good news indeed. Hincapie should be riding in a week or so and should be back to full strength soon.

And, more good news. Saul Raisin has been able to move his hands and feet, and has been correctly answering questions by squeezing the hands of his family members. That seems to be a strong indication his brain is beginning the recovery process. Given his very critical condition just a few days ago, his steady progress is wonderful news.
Old 04-13-06, 09:05 PM
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out this picture of George's bike after the accident from Cyclingnews.com. Thank God it wasn't a carbon steerer or we would have to hear all of the "dangers of carbon" stuff, endlessly.