Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

cycling from Victoria to Calgary

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm planning on biking across canada this summer from west to east. i'm not sure what the bc/rockies are like. i also need some information on getting from the ferry to outside vancouver.
thanks
Old 04-11-06, 02:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which ferry are you asking about, Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay .. or .. Schwartz Bay to Tsawwassen ?
Old 04-12-06, 02:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
riding into vancouver

If you're ballsy, you can just stick to the shoulder of highway 99 all the way from the ferry into town - though this might mean riding through the massey tunnel (2 lanes, both of them full of agro rushour drivers) - which might not be that fun. There may be a more sceninc route into town, but I'm not aware of it. If you're willing to cheat just a little bit in order to skip that crunch area of highway/ commuter traffic between the ferry and Vancouver, you can always throw your bike on the front bike racks of the bus - its only a couple of bucks into town.
Old 04-12-06, 04:36 PM
Faster than a SwiftTurtle

Bikes: Thin Blue Line Hardtail Mtb, Giant OCR Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there!

I'm going to pimp out a website I created a couple months back. Its a collection of journals/webpages of people that have cycled across Canada. ITs a good resource to check out what others have thought about the routes they have taken.

https://xcanada.roosmachine.com

There is a resource section on the webpage with links that you can use right across the country, including BC Ferries webpage.

For getting through BC, Mr Roughly's Touring BC webpage is the best resource I have found.
https://www.vanc.igs.net/%7Eroughley/bike_bc.html

roopurt
Old 04-12-06, 07:14 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Though I have been to BC many times I haven't cycled there so I wasn't going to jump in with something like "dude before you even get to the Rockies, you have to clear the coastal range". Good thing I didn't. Look at "Vertically exaggerated profile of British Columbia along the 51st parallel", on Roughly's site!
Old 04-13-06, 11:56 PM
sth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roosmachine
Hi there!

I'm going to pimp out a website I created a couple months back. Its a collection of journals/webpages of people that have cycled across Canada. ITs a good resource to check out what others have thought about the routes they have taken.

https://xcanada.roosmachine.com

There is a resource section on the webpage with links that you can use right across the country, including BC Ferries webpage.

For getting through BC, Mr Roughly's Touring BC webpage is the best resource I have found.
https://www.vanc.igs.net/%7Eroughley/bike_bc.html

roopurt
Hey Andrew,

I dont want to hijack DKrit's post but I just wanted to say thanks for your website. I just checked it out. Lots of good reading there. I am right in the middle of your Crazy-Guy journal and am really enjoying it. I hope to do the trip in a few years.

steve
Old 04-14-06, 12:10 AM
sth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DKrit
i'm planning on biking across canada this summer from west to east. i'm not sure what the bc/rockies are like. i also need some information on getting from the ferry to outside vancouver.
thanks
No matter how you cut it, leaving Vancouver at sea level means hills hills hills. My suggestion would be to take the southern route along Highway 3. At least 4 BIG passes to conquer but scenic overall. You could also take Hwy 5 up to Jasper then on to Edmonton. Not as much climbing but along way around. My biggest suggestion would be to avoid the Trans-Canada from Kamloops to Banff. It is very busy in the summer and it is narrow and in less than perfect condition in spots.

If you are taking the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver and plan to head into Vancouver, you CANT ride thru the tunnel. Dangerous and illegal. You can hop on a transit bus (they have front racks but you would likely have to remove the panniers etc or you could hire a cab. The only other logical way to get across the river is a long detour to the Alex Fraser bridge.

Heading east you want to get yourself to Hwy 7 on the north side of the Fraser river. Less congested.
After Hope it is decent highway riding.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-14-06, 01:52 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I hope you are not planning to leave Victoria any time soon!! See the Western Weather Warning post.

BTW - the Rocky Mountains are ... mountainous ... but you won't reach them until you get nearer to the BC/Alberta border. However, between the coast and the Rocky Mountains, you'll get lots of practice in mountainous terrain.
Old 04-14-06, 09:57 AM
just 5 more miles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this link https://www.adamk.ca/CrossCan_Page1.htm at the bottom of the page to get you out of Vancouver. You'll need a local map. Keep us updated on your trip. I'm also planning the same trip for 08. A great book is Cycling British Columbia by Paul Wood. ISBN 0-9684856-2-7. $22 Canadian. You might be able to find it a Amazon.com or Chapters. It will give you routes, distances, area histories, vertical profiles and provincial camp grounds. If you have problem finding one email me and I'll help you out.

Vin
Old 04-14-06, 02:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclesomatic
If you're ballsy, you can just stick to the shoulder of highway 99 all the way from the ferry into town - though this might mean riding through the massey tunnel (2 lanes, both of them full of agro rushour drivers) - which might not be that fun. There may be a more sceninc route into town, but I'm not aware of it. If you're willing to cheat just a little bit in order to skip that crunch area of highway/ commuter traffic between the ferry and Vancouver, you can always throw your bike on the front bike racks of the bus - its only a couple of bucks into town.
Last time I was there, Bikes are not allowed through the tunnel, You wouldn't survive anyway. There is a sign/number posted about a van that the Highways Dept. will drive you through.
Old 04-14-06, 02:27 PM

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sth
No matter how you cut it, leaving Vancouver at sea level means hills hills hills. My suggestion would be to take the southern route along Highway 3. At least 4 BIG passes to conquer but scenic overall. You could also take Hwy 5 up to Jasper then on to Edmonton. Not as much climbing but along way around. My biggest suggestion would be to avoid the Trans-Canada from Kamloops to Banff. It is very busy in the summer and it is narrow and in less than perfect condition in spots.

If you are taking the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver and plan to head into Vancouver, you CANT ride thru the tunnel. Dangerous and illegal. You can hop on a transit bus (they have front racks but you would likely have to remove the panniers etc or you could hire a cab. The only other logical way to get across the river is a long detour to the Alex Fraser bridge.

Heading east you want to get yourself to Hwy 7 on the north side of the Fraser river. Less congested.
After Hope it is decent highway riding.

Hope that helps.
Take Hwy. 7 to Hope, Hwy 5 Coquihalla to Kamloops or 5C Coquihalla Connector to Kelowna and TC to Banff. The Trans-Canada is a fast, unforgiving highway, not my choice for a holiday but people cycle it, pass the snow sheds by going around them. IMO Highway 3 from Hope and then 93 via Radium is a better route. Be prepared to camp.
Old 04-14-06, 08:49 PM
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Or if you want to ride through Vancouver, you might take the ferry that lands into Nanaimo.
Old 04-14-06, 10:42 PM
Touring senior

Bikes: Cannondale touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An easy way to cross the Fraser River is to use the free ferry at Fort Langley assuming your ferry from Vancouver Island is landing at Tsawwassen - there are many different ways to get to Fort Langley - I came all the way across on McClughan (88th) Ave. The western half was city riding (I used sidewalks) and the eastern half was more open.