Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

BB spindle and chainline?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 06:01 PM
Rolling the Hard 6

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just picked up my new old bike and it turns out that the BB spindle is just a tad to long and the chainline is a bit off. Not a lot but enough to make a bit of noise.

My problem is that the bike is french so it has a older stronglight BB with a 113mm spindle. I was wondering what my options might be interms of getting a shorter spindle? And also if anyone knows what length spindle would give me a 42mm with these cranks that would kick some ass.
Old 04-12-06, 06:31 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
If you're running the original Stronglight BB cups in it as well, chances are the cups are thin walled. You'll have trouble finding a spindle match. Probably the easiest solution in this case is to go with Sugino french threaded BB cups (available once more thru Harris); this will allow you to use a more standard spindle. Thicker walled cups. I'd check the extant cups first; just find an old standard Japanese spindle and try inserting it into the frame (w/bearings, natch). Chances are the cups will sink in so far you won't be able to get the lockring down. If not, you're good to go. You can use a Japanese-made spindle for Italian BBs instead of replacing the cups, but supply on those is short.

Should you replace the cups, be sure to crank the fixed cup down hard; because they are not reverse threaded, they can work loose.If you've got a motobecane or a late seventies/early eighties Peugeot, you may have swiss threading in the BB, nother set of potential problems.

How old are your cranks? Truly vintage Stronglights used a 120 or 119 spindle... long by todays standards.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 04-12-06, 07:06 PM
Rolling the Hard 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cranks are actually sugino mighty comps (the link to an ebay auction for the same cranks is in the original post). I guess my best bet is to get the sugino bb cups from harris and then go from there. unless the bb I have is thick walled. Right? I'm pretty sure the spindle isn't original to the BB but I'd have to check once I get home.
Old 04-12-06, 07:11 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

ah... I get it, you're running the Suginos on the Stronglight spindle. Check the thickness of your cups... save the $ if they're thick walled... you just need an old Japanese spindle to check. Fairly quick. what's the bike, anyhoo?

Old 04-12-06, 07:12 PM
blah

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Phil Wood also makes french threaded cups.
Old 04-12-06, 08:17 PM
Cornucopia of Awesomeness

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onetwentyeight
Phil Wood also makes french threaded cups.
they're not "cups", more like "retaining rings"
Old 04-12-06, 09:01 PM
Rolling the Hard 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike's an older mercier track frame with a non-original fork and a formula/mavic wheelset i scored online. I actually don't know too much about the frame, but I will post some pics when I get home from work and hopefully those in the know can enlighten me.

As for the phil wood bb... I was kinda hoping to avoid dropping that kinda cash.
Old 04-13-06, 06:45 AM
Vello Kombi, baby

The wood cups will also work with shimano un72 bottom brackets, but only that model. I've done it, it does work. A while back, there was a long post on french bikes, you might search the forum for "french bottom bracket shimano un72 phil wood" or some such, it'll likely turn up the thread. We did a lot of typing there.

All the Merciers I've run into are French thread. The obvious exception would be the far east made "Merciers" (quotes intentional) floating around now. I'm not sure how long Mercier lasted as a company. Certainly into the seventies, maybe a bit later. By the mid-eighties most every French maker had converted to English threads, though.