Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

about Mr tuffy.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

about Mr tuffy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
about Mr tuffy.

every time I use mr tuffy in my tires I get a flat tire. So what am i doing wrong .
Old 04-21-06, 11:31 AM
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
have you looked at the tube to see where your flat is?
Old 04-21-06, 11:51 AM
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Mr Tuffy causes flats, myself... The edges of the liner tend to pinch tubes.
Old 04-21-06, 12:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think so, I've had them on for 10 years now and I have had fewer flats for such a long time, I say they are worth their weight to ride with. Of course I rubber cement mines in and use duct tape to seal the overlap. One of my greatest concern on a road bike is going downhill real fast and having a front blowout; with a tuffy in place the front tire when flatted will roll in somewhat a control state. I know from experience; I once was flying down a hill at 30 miles an hour and bang tire blew out and my tire kept rolling enough for me to slow down safely. This only works on road bike tires I've notice.
Old 04-21-06, 06:31 PM
JRA...

Bikes: trek 520 & 736, DeRosa Professional, Fuji Professional, Raleigh International 3-speed, Saronni (any info people?), Humber 3-speed, Raleigh Sports, Carlton Grand Prix coming soon!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
I think Mr Tuffy causes flats, myself... The edges of the liner tend to pinch tubes.
it's a good practice to feather the edges to prevent this. i've had wood screws lodge deep between tire and tuffy, so they have my vote. to the OP, i'd suspect either this, object lodged in the tire you haven't found, or bad or lack of rim tape. particularly the last one if you have a double-walled wheel with stock tape or rimstrip. that stuff usually doesn't cut it.
Old 04-21-06, 09:22 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mr Tuffy's aren't all that tough. But if you insist on using them then do as Dafydd does and feather the edges, you may also be using ultralight tubes which combined with the abrasive action of the liner rubbing against the tube could cause a flat so instead use standard tubes.

Personally for the weight of an average tire of 230grms, plus 140grms for the Mr Tuffy, plus a 90grm average tube and your sitting at about 560grms give or take 50grams. So why not use a Specialize Aramdillo that weighs 380grms and is a heck of lot more flat resistent then a regular tire plus a Mr Tuffy, then add a 60grm ultralight tube and your only at 440grms...a savings of about 120grms plus have less flats!