Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

HR questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HR questions

Hello,
I am a 35yr old, 5'10", 200lbs, I've been riding a mtb for the past few years, and just recently started riding a road bike('06 Trek 1200), good news is that I have gotten the fit right, no back pain. I do weights twice a week and soccer on sundays.

I ride twice a week with a couple friends and normally the route is about 18 miles averaging around 15mph, we recently did a 45 mile ride averaging 15mph, HR avg 167. My goal is to join a large club ride which is about 50-60 miles and avg speed 19-20mph. I suspect riding in a large group is easier due to draft.

My long range comfort level HR is around 165-170 and I can push to 175 for short periods, but if I cross 180 things shutdown soon after. I suspect 180+ would be my lactate threshold

Am I over/under stressing my HR ? Apart from putting in the miles what can I do to monitor if I am training poorly ?
Unfortunately where I live there are no club rides less than 50-60 miles.

Thanks,

L

Last edited by lennyk; 04-21-06 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-22-06, 02:31 AM
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say it's probably less than 180+ if you're shutting down at that point. You should be able to sustain at or just under LTHR for a little while.

The threads on HR training abound here. You have a couple options to consider when you start wanting to train with HR. Some people train against max HR, which is how I started back in December. After a little bit, I took advice and read Friel's training bible. Now I train on zones based around lactate threshold and get much better workouts. If you want to "train" to improve, I seriously recommend Friel's book. I looked at a couple others but was completely happy with what I got from Friel.

Realistically though, because I'm not training to race, I use my HRM as a limiter more than anything else. I'm riding solely to accumulate miles this year. If I'm going to do a long distance ride, I have a number I try to stay under so that I can maintain my pace for the entire ride. If I'm riding laps or doing "sprint" work, then I try to force the hear rate to a number to get the effective workout.

Measuring lactate threshold isn't really so tough. There's a lot of scientific ways to do it. I find the 40k TT one to be the easiest, and after a couple tries I got a good round number that works for me. Again, I'm not training to race TTs, so my number is only for me. If I take a full out 50k hammerfest, my average HR ends up being around 167 total. My 40k TT rate (only taking the middle 20 minutes) works out to be closer to 174-175, so I'm using 175 as my LTHR.

The other way to see if you're training poorly is to document your training thoroughly. My personal training plan improved greatly once I started documenting it more thoroughly.

Finally, the "how do you feel" test always works for me too. If I start to feel sluggish on the bike for no apparent reason, the reason becomes apparent as overtraining I think. So, I take a little break.