Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Danielson Giro/TdF Story

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Danielson Giro/TdF Story

Old 04-25-06, 07:27 AM
Guinea Hood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Danielson Giro/TdF Story

<Apologies in advance for asking what probably has been asked many times recently here. The, uh, 'search' button seems to be, umm, malfunctioning....>

Just checking: Last week I think an article in the Atlanta Journal said that Tom Danielson would be riding in the Giro and, therefore, would not be in the TdF.

The key word being 'therefore' - the language seemed to suggest that, naturally, one would not ride both....

If true, is that a Disco team decision thing? Has the sport become so specialized (no pun intended) that riding in both (not to mention the Vuelta) just won't happen anymore?

I enjoyed seeing Salvodelli in the TdF after having won the Giro...
Old 04-25-06, 07:38 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Doesn't make much sense as Basso and Ulrich are both riding in the Giro before the TdF...I think Jan is using it more for training and will probably drop out...Basso is going for the win in both.
Old 04-25-06, 07:42 AM
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, Basso is doing both. That said, I don't doubt that more racers are looking to optimize their wins. Going balls out at the Giro, resting, and then maybe going for the Vuelta may be a better strategy for Danielson at this stage of his career than doing the TdF.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 04-25-06, 07:50 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R700

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Danielson is also going to gear up big time for the Vuelta, whoops, just saw SpongeDad already posted. Anyway, what he said.
Old 04-25-06, 08:01 AM
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if my evil genius plan to single-handedly rule the world ever comes to fruition, i will dictate that riders must compete in and finish all three in order to qualify to win any one of them....
Old 04-25-06, 08:41 AM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ostuni
if my evil genius plan to single-handedly rule the world ever comes to fruition, i will dictate that riders must compete in and finish all three in order to qualify to win any one of them....
actually, that's not a bad idea.
Old 04-25-06, 08:47 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Danielson is pretty early in his career. (not by age, but by years in the European Peleton)I don't think Disc thinks he's quite ready for the TDF, and riding the Giro is a progresion in his development as a grand tour rider. I think the hope is complete the Giro strong this year, and then maybe focus on the TDF next year