Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

puzzling PX-10 serial number...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 03:18 PM

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10, Spitz cyclocross, Specialized RockCombo, Bridgestone MB-1, Trek 720

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I'm trying to date my PX-10 and the serial number doesn't seem to follow the pattern described here:

https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Fra...10_history.htm

Apparently "there are six digits used on bikes from the 50's and 60's and seven digits used on bikes from the 70's." However mine has only 5 digits (726**). It's stamped on the bottom bracket shell and it definitely does not look as if a number was scratched out or not embossed deeply enough. I'm pretty sure there was never a plate with a serial number on the bike; in all the pictures I've seen of the plates they are riveted on in two places. There is only one hole in the bottom bracket on this bike, and I'm pretty sure that's the drain hole (sorry, don't know the technical term).

My father bought the bike in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1970 (for something like $250). The bike has the black and white paint job, fancy Nervex lugs and fork crown, and chrome tips on the fork and stays. I've used this bike since I was in high school in the late 80's and would never sell it. I'm just trying to find out more about it.

I'd be happy to provide more info if it might help someone make a better estimation.

Thanks,
Greg

PS Is there any compelling reason NOT to list the complete serial number? I don't think it's a problem for a 36 year old bike but I'm a bit paranoid.
Old 04-26-06, 03:58 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Are you certain it's a PX-10? Peugeot made many models of bikes that were similar in appearance at a glance (including some variants of PX-10's).
Old 04-26-06, 04:13 PM
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Fra...10_history.htm

Talks about plates added to the bikes in the 70's with the serials on them.
Old 04-26-06, 06:47 PM
hunter, gatherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the most helpful thing at this point would be good pictures of the bike, decals, and head lugs..
nervex changed the style of their professional series lugs early on...
also, if you think the components are original, these would help date the frame..
the crankset is a good start
Old 04-26-06, 07:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have what appears to be a very run of the mill UO8. The serial number, however, is only four digits, which I read someplace, most likely Classic Rendezvous, is supposed to indicate a track bike frame. Mine clearly isn't, lacking horizontal dropouts & high quality tubing.
Old 04-26-06, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
My 1974 Px10LE has the two holes for the S/N plate, but there is no plate. There is a six digit serial number stamped into the steel where the plate should be.

A much better way to find out when your Peugeot was made is to post pictures here.
Old 04-26-06, 09:43 PM
hunter, gatherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey!! my px10 is the exact same way!
6 digits, two holes for a plate, no plate..

how did you date yours accurately ?
i could never find a good resource for decals online after the classic rendezvous links broke...

mine has the 'peugeot' on black background
decal headbadge
record du monde...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PX-10 (1).jpg (58.6 KB, 53 views)
IMG_1652.jpg (90.2 KB, 62 views)
Old 04-27-06, 12:52 AM

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10, Spitz cyclocross, Specialized RockCombo, Bridgestone MB-1, Trek 720

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pics of puzzling PX-10...

Okay, here are some pics of the PX-10. I won't worry about showing the complete serial number now...in the interest of dating the frame. It's clearly stamped 72677.

None of the components are original except for the headset, brake calipers and levers, shift levers and bottom bracket. I replaced the original Stronglight 57 with a Stronglight 99 (which I run w/out using the front derailleur, effectively making the bike a 5 speed). The bike is currently out of commission pending a few repairs and part swaps. You can see that the front wheel is 700 while the back is 27"; I've got to get a tire on the other 27" to have a matching set. The short cage Suntour Cyclone derailleur probably won't work with the megarange cassette so I'm looking for a suitable long cage.

Any ideas about the age? I'm almost positive this is a PX-10 but if anyone thinks otherwise I'd like to hear why.

Thanks for your time.

Greg
Attached Images
IMG_1920.JPG (41.6 KB, 68 views)
IMG_1921.JPG (38.0 KB, 57 views)
IMG_1923.JPG (30.8 KB, 55 views)
Old 04-27-06, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by coelcanth
hey!! my px10 is the exact same way!
6 digits, two holes for a plate, no plate..

how did you date yours accurately ?
i could never find a good resource for decals online after the classic rendezvous links broke...

mine has the 'peugeot' on black background
decal headbadge
record du monde...
I know mine's a '74 because I bought it new and I worked at the shop that I bought it from.

I think I have a link to decals for $90 on my home PC. I'm at work now.

Mine looks like this:
https://community.webshots.com/photo/...68014369GPeTnK
Old 04-27-06, 09:37 AM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Your decals (both pictured PXs in this thread) are early to mid seventies. I'd put post number 8 at about 1971; that's purely a geuss based on frame geometry and lugs. Posistioning of the 531 decal (if extant it will be either on the seat or downtube) is a good dating clue; the last year for it on the seat tube was 1973, as I recalls. The one in post #7 looks like a PX10E, 1973... however, I'm dealing with tiny internet photos here, and have been known to make mistakes a plenty. Both bikes are in that range, I think, from about 71-3.

I have a 73 which I've dated exactly because I have the original reciept; a 72 (clear from plainer lugs and position of 531 decal), and a 67 (identifiable by components)

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 04-27-06, 11:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Earlier than '71...

Poguemahone,

The 531 decals are long gone. I know for sure there was one on the fork because the triangular outline is still discernible. I *think* there was another on the seat tube; I'll look for clues when I get home. I don't recall a 531 sticker on the downtube at all.

If it helps I have pictures of my father out for a ride on this bike and the pics are dated (not by handwriting but by the Kodachrome printing process) June or July 1970. That was a month or two before I was born so it sticks in my mind. My father just wrote and said that he remembers buying it "at the bicycle shop on Bow St. just off Harvard Square" in '69 or maybe '70. He added that he can't be sure about this though.

I'm curious about my 5 digit serial number and the information about PX-10 serial numbers floating around the internet. Do we need to revamp the data?

It's really too bad that the PX-10 Database was abandoned and that several of the pages are no longer accessible. Does anyone know what happened?

greg
Old 04-28-06, 04:20 AM
pcf

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
For decals, check with Andy at Yellow Jersey, or see this link to their web site:

https://www.yellowjersey.org/peudecal.html

I recently obtained a set of these for my 1972 PX-10. They appear to be correct except that the head tube decal says, "Made in France" on it.
Old 04-28-06, 08:35 AM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I've seen obviously mis-stamped Peugeot serial numbers before, so I suspect that explains yours. Obviously, I don't know, but that's an explanation. I know the earlier bikes had a different decal set, but I've never prescisely established when the switchovers were. Bike could be a 69 or 70. It's not earlier, and no later than about 1973/4 or so.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 04-28-06, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by pcf
For decals, check with Andy at Yellow Jersey, or see this link to their web site:

https://www.yellowjersey.org/peudecal.html

I recently obtained a set of these for my 1972 PX-10. They appear to be correct except that the head tube decal says, "Made in France" on it.
That's the link I was talking about. I didn't want to post it because I don't want them to be sold out when/if I get around to having mine painted. It looks like the set for a '74 is a double set. Anybody want to split it with me?