Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Velo Hate: Brevet this Saturday

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-06, 05:56 PM
dismember

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone want to trade flying 200s for a 200km brevet this weekend? This Saturday (4/29) is the first brevet in a series offered by the Great Lakes Randonneurs. Completion of the series allows for qualification for a 1200km brevet like the Boston-Montreal-Boston. It starts at the Super 8 Motel in Delavan, WI at 8 am.

Consider it a valley cat (sorry) (there are the checkpoints). I'm wearing a mess. bag, will ride 49x17, I have a bruised butt check from recently getting hit by a ford taurus, and all the people I know are vets at this (including RAAM qualifiers) so it should be ridiculous.

I'm posting this here for people who recently did a double metric (gorn, efarrar...) or anyone else who might be interested.

More info at: https://www.iit.edu/~csbole/
Old 04-27-06, 06:02 PM
puvpntb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds awesome. Go oytie go! Will you be riding the Kalavinka?
Old 04-27-06, 06:28 PM
R900Campagnolo

Bikes: track and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be doing 200m in 200s flying times but would like to do 200k some other time. Please, let us know of future 130 milers, good luck, have tons of stories to tell afterwards and you must post pictures too!
edit. "Fred abonded(the race) at 440mile mark..." - https://www.iit.edu/~csbole/GLRNov2005A.pdf

Last edited by marcelinyc; 04-27-06 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-27-06, 07:09 PM
this bike is an aqueduct

Bikes: Villin custom touring, Medici Pro Pista, KHS Alite1000, Windsor fixed commuter

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sweeeeeeeeet
Old 04-27-06, 07:48 PM
dmg
Beautiful Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a 200k brevet last weekend in Columbus. I was the only person without gears and still did decently. The day after, I thought I wasn't going to ever do one again, now I'm thinking about the 300km one at the end of May. Have fun!
Old 04-27-06, 08:59 PM
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmg
I did a 200k brevet last weekend in Columbus. I was the only person without gears and still did decently. The day after, I thought I wasn't going to ever do one again, now I'm thinking about the 300km one at the end of May. Have fun!
where did you ride at last weekend? and where do you find info on these type of events? i did a century (in miles) last weekend on my fixed, out by pataskala, and i was feeling the burn by the end, both pedal and sun...
Old 04-27-06, 09:53 PM
dismember

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregg
Will you be riding the Kalavinka?
Tanabe san did not have NJS water bottle mounts.
Old 04-28-06, 05:46 AM
plucky russian.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oytie this sounds like an insane amount of fun. i wouldn't be able to complete the series but would possibly be able to start with the June 3rd brevet.

i'm being serious. i would definitely consider doing these with you.
Old 04-28-06, 07:51 AM
Frankly, Mr. Shankly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I wasn't moving this weekend, I do this weekend's... so this is a series? Possibly another one then.
Old 04-28-06, 08:04 AM
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whoa. Oytie, we need to dedicate a section of track log JUST to you...nice!

Luck, if needed. However, I do not think it will be.
Old 04-28-06, 08:06 AM
dc pirate, 4evah.

Bikes: several. blue. fun.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i love distance. love love love it. count me in for future events! (though i'm not committing to doing it all fixed... i have gears for a reason.)
Old 04-28-06, 08:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's tempting, but I think I'm going to have to skip it.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 04-28-06, 08:31 AM
meet the mets

Bikes: Raleigh conversion (hours spent making it look like a Pista); Porter Track, Samson Track, Leto Roadie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So how do brevets work? How is a randonneuring race different from a road race?

Sounds like fun...I stayed in that Super 8 once.
Old 04-29-06, 03:54 PM
dmg
Beautiful Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chzman
where did you ride at last weekend? and where do you find info on these type of events?
Ohio Randonneurs has a series, all leaving from Grove City, OH, ranging from 200km to 1000km. The next one is in late May. https://www.ohiorand.org/

Randonneuring is more of self-directed thing than a normal race - you are given maps and cue sheets telling you where to turn and such. There's not really any support during the race, and the checkpoints are convenience stores where you have to get your card stamped. It's kind of like a very, very, very long alleycat, except that you have a set course.

Most of the people who do them are in their 40s and up; it definitely gives you hope for your body's future ability when a 60 year old finishes an hour ahead of you, gears or no.
Old 04-29-06, 04:06 PM
messenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sounds like so much fun.
Oytie - awesome that you are still going after being injured.
Old 04-29-06, 04:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck!

Any plans on doing the upcoming Paris-Brest-Paris brevet in 2007?
Old 04-29-06, 09:39 PM
dismember

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So here are some observations from today. As dmg noted, the crowd is generally middle and late middle aged--I saw four or five Rivendells, cop moustaches, unironic wearing of sweatpants after the race. And it was indeed like a really long and sober alleycat, except for the older dudes (I counted four women), day-glo jackets and ubiquitous cycling tights. Some people said I was crazy for doing this on a single speed, and when I said it was fixed, they said, "even worse." And it wasn't until the last quarter of the ride that I thought they might have a point.

The course was 200km, was out and back with three checkpoints (not including start/finish), with hostile hills and a malicious wind (between 20-32 mph), and rain at the end. Going out I averaged 21 mph with the wind at my back. And coming back I couldn't get over 15 mph. Over the last 10 miles I couldn't sustain over 11 mph and had to stop ever 3 miles to stretch my legs. Wind never sucked so much or took such a toll. And I was really wanting to coast and have something lower than 49x17. But now, 5 hours after I finished, my legs feel fine, and I wonder if I could have given more. After doing the first half in 3 hours, I set a goal of 7, but it took me 8 to finish. So the tally is 8 hours (not including breaks at checkpoints), 127 miles and some change.

Other highlights--hitting 38 mph on a descent and thinking that my legs were going to fly off at the hips. All the things you think about when you're alone for long stretches of time on a bike--I made catalogues, such as: different types of cows; different varieties of old men from rural wisconsin; different ways my ass hurts; different smells of manure; different riding lawn mowers; and different road kill, including, cat with rigor mortis that caused one paw to stand erect as if it was playing with an invisible ball of yarn.

PBP--a friend is trying to talk me into this, but he's a maniac with these matters--RAAM wannabe, Furnace Creek 500, gold rush etc. The plan is to do the PBP and then go to Belgium and drink beer for an indeterminate amount of time, so I might start training.
Old 04-29-06, 09:43 PM
dismember

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CAD: randonneuring isn't a race in the sense that you are not racing against other riders. Rather, the goal is to finish the distance within a set time period. So you don't get a lot of strategy common to road racing.
Old 04-29-06, 09:51 PM
Dismount Run Remount etc.

Bikes: A couple customs and some beaters.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha..."four or five rivendells" So predictable.
Old 04-30-06, 04:48 AM
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oytie
So here are some observations from today. As dmg noted, the crowd is generally middle and late middle aged--I saw four or five Rivendells, cop moustaches, unironic wearing of sweatpants after the race. And it was indeed like a really long and sober alleycat, except for the older dudes (I counted four women), day-glo jackets and ubiquitous cycling tights. Some people said I was crazy for doing this on a single speed, and when I said it was fixed, they said, "even worse." And it wasn't until the last quarter of the ride that I thought they might have a point.

The course was 200km, was out and back with three checkpoints (not including start/finish), with hostile hills and a malicious wind (between 20-32 mph), and rain at the end. Going out I averaged 21 mph with the wind at my back. And coming back I couldn't get over 15 mph. Over the last 10 miles I couldn't sustain over 11 mph and had to stop ever 3 miles to stretch my legs. Wind never sucked so much or took such a toll. And I was really wanting to coast and have something lower than 49x17. But now, 5 hours after I finished, my legs feel fine, and I wonder if I could have given more. After doing the first half in 3 hours, I set a goal of 7, but it took me 8 to finish. So the tally is 8 hours (not including breaks at checkpoints), 127 miles and some change.

Other highlights--hitting 38 mph on a descent and thinking that my legs were going to fly off at the hips. All the things you think about when you're alone for long stretches of time on a bike--I made catalogues, such as: different types of cows; different varieties of old men from rural wisconsin; different ways my ass hurts; different smells of manure; different riding lawn mowers; and different road kill, including, cat with rigor mortis that caused one paw to stand erect as if it was playing with an invisible ball of yarn.

PBP--a friend is trying to talk me into this, but he's a maniac with these matters--RAAM wannabe, Furnace Creek 500, gold rush etc. The plan is to do the PBP and then go to Belgium and drink beer for an indeterminate amount of time, so I might start training.
Way to go! You give the rest of us hope.
Old 04-30-06, 01:30 PM

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Pulsar, 1975 Motobecane Mirage (in pieces), 1948 Repco "Path Racer" (frame on the way)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mr. Endurance strikes again. Nicely done oytie.