Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nokon cables on Cane Creek 200TT levers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm trying to figure out if the standard Nokon "road brake cable system" is comptable with my time trial style levers. basicly i'm confused about the cable end types. excuse me if i don't know the correct terminology, but isn't there a "little roud type" and a "larger flat round type".

thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-06, 03:21 PM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Man Euro, you're everywhere I am. ST, RC, and now here. Anyway....

I'm assuming you have Tektro/Cane Creek TT levers. IIRC, these use lollipop style ends with a disc that the cable enters radially, which is what mountain bikes usually use, but have a look at yours and make sure. Road stuff uses the ones with ends that look kind of like a microphone -- A thick cylinder on top of a thinner one, with the cable entering axially.

I've never done a Nokon install, but my understanding is that the magic is in the housing and lining, and the cable is pretty normal stainless steel stuff, so you can swap them anyway. I would measure your cable runs, though, and find out how much housing you get with each kit. I think the MTB one gives you a little more.
Old 05-01-06, 05:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fancy bumping into you here! it seems that springtime comes around the bike comes back out, i always have to do a couple of upgrades ya know. found this forum and might stop in occasionally as needed. i think you bumped into Rich at the CM the other day, when him and i hooked up we were trying to track you back down, no luck though. i was the guy in the red petzl helmet with the skull and crossbones on it if you happened to spot me. the three of us should ride man!

anyways, back to bidness. yup, those are the levers i have, and i like your analogie, yes they are the 'lollipop' style not the 'microphone' style. i gather from what you just said, i might need to purchase the "mountain" kit not the "road" for my ride.

now if only i could verify that, as well as my links. i fear i may need to buy an extender kit with it, as my bike is doesn't have any cable stops brazed on, just housing routing so that the rear cable runs entrily in a housing from lever to brake.
Old 05-01-06, 06:22 PM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I had to bail off of CM, though I did see a guy in a red petzl helmet and didn't put 2 and 2 together. Oh well, we'll run into each other somewhere I'm sure.

No cable stops? Man, you're looking at some expensive cabling. What does this bike get used for? With only 2 points of entry for the gunk, are you sure you need the Nokons?
Old 05-02-06, 07:54 AM
Bike H4><0R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not to interfear w/ reunions but hes right, the 200tts use barrel style/atb style brake cables. i found this out last night after the lbs closed up :@