Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Just want brake and shifter cables and housing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking through my performance, nashbar etc.... Im having a hard time finding what to order. I want cable housing, brake and shifter cables - for maybe 3-4 bikes. Not that Im going to use the stuff right away, but there are times, a buddy needs new lines, or I want to switch out. Seems like a lot of money going through the shop for this stuff, one bike at a time. Can I order somewhere - where I know what to order, and get in a small bulk batch?
Old 05-02-06, 08:41 AM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I buy that stuff in bulk from the LBS.

Al
Old 05-02-06, 08:47 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Try Bike Tools Etc. (www.biketoolsetc.com) They have bulk cable housing and cables of all types. They even have shift cables with a Shimano STI fitting on one end and a Campy Ergo fitting on the other. Their prices are good and the service excellent.

BTW, their catalog of bike tools is nearly as useful as a good service manual. There are tools for every imaginable bike repair and great descriptions and tips.

Another good source is The Third Hand /Loose Screws (www.loosescrews.com). They tend to specialize in obsolete and unusual parts.
Old 05-02-06, 09:13 AM
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ebay.

For instance, 25 Jagwire cables for $25: https://cgi.ebay.com/Case-of-25-JagWi...QQcmdZViewItem

You should be able to get bulk housing for under $20 for 50 ft on ebay.
Old 05-02-06, 11:28 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Harris Cyclery will sell you housing by the foot or in 25-foot lengths. You can also buy Jagwire cables from them at pretty good prices.
Old 05-02-06, 12:03 PM

Bikes: 29"ers, fixies, and 29"er fixies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The above examples are good.

Any good LBS should be willing to sell you housing by the foot. That's how I buy my housing (usually about 15' at a time). They may give you the ferrules/cable ends to go along with it.

I also buy the cheapo Quality house-brand cables, and they honestly work great and last all year. On a tip from a friend, I started buying the non-stainless steel cables b/c you can solder the ends (use acid-core solder). It makes for a clean look, and you can actually remove/reinsert the cables if you want (I sometimes switch between 2 different bars (complete with shifters/brake levers) on my bike).
Old 05-02-06, 02:09 PM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
::Thread drift alert::

You can get the same effect as solder with superglue, which sticks to stainless a lot better than solder. Not that I've, um, tried that whole soldering thing
Old 05-03-06, 12:43 AM

Bikes: Miyata 100, Miyata fixed gear conversion, Centurion Ironman Master (halfway done)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of you may ridicule me for this, but I like using the $4.25 Bell-branded cable pack from Walmart. It comes with cables and housing for brakes and shifters, ferrules, and cable crimps. These cables probably shift several hundred milliseconds slower, but I'm too insensitive to notice and too cheap to care.