Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Crank forward bikes....

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Crank forward bikes....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crank forward bikes....

I am considering a touring setup for a urban/commuting/road rig. Coming from a recumbent background one of the bikes I am considering is a crank-forward design by Rans (www.rans.com). Anyone out there tried one of these for touring? Heel stike would not be an issue with those monster chainstays. I like the upright posture because of neck problems. I went to recuments because of the neck problems (was riding a Trek 1000 ) but I may have jumped off the upright design too soon.

The other bike I'm considering (and drooling over ) is the LHT. Some really awesome builds out there!

Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-04-06, 02:55 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rans are good touring bikes I think. I have a way more recumbant bike and found it hard to use, though it was designed to carry racks. It's for sale when I get around to it.

I camped with some guys who where on Rans and similar bikes and they had come from penn all the way up the coast to northern New Brunswick. The had Bob trailers.

LHTs are a great bike too, but I feel that while they are good, part of the appeal is they just let people loose to create a bike from scratch. People seem to really get into that. I have seen some very expensive all the bells and whistles builds (as well as the reverse). At some point when spending as much as many do, one has to ask at what point does a custom frame become a logical upgrade. I see guys with all the billet parts electronics, fenders that would get them half way to the custom bike, and yet they are stuck on standard dimensions and features. So as long as the LHT is the perfect fit, or you are trying to sus that out, go for it. I mean, a lot of recumbents are really pricey, you could go full co-motion americano for what they cost, might solve your neck pain to be on a custom. I did the LHT type thing last fall, now I am building a custom bike. By the time I buy the tubes etc... and buy parts at retail, I could probably get an upper level custom with billet parts just because they source the stuff cheaper.
Old 05-05-06, 06:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peterpan1,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am familiar with Rans recumbents (I ride a Bacchetta recumbent now). They do make quality bikes. I'm just curious about the crank forward models (https://www.ransbikes.com/zenetik%20tour.htm). The are a lot more upright than a standard recumbent but offer the benefit of little pressure on the arms and wrists.

Truthfully, I am not necessarilly looking for a touring bike. I'd like a commuter/urban/road bike that is comfortable. I had neck issues with a standard road bike and that pointed me towards recumbents. But I miss uprights!

-Dave
Old 05-06-06, 12:44 AM
Steel is Real.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wxlidar
Peterpan1,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am familiar with Rans recumbents (I ride a Bacchetta recumbent now). They do make quality bikes. I'm just curious about the crank forward models (https://www.ransbikes.com/zenetik%20tour.htm). The are a lot more upright than a standard recumbent but offer the benefit of little pressure on the arms and wrists.

Truthfully, I am not necessarilly looking for a touring bike. I'd like a commuter/urban/road bike that is comfortable. I had neck issues with a standard road bike and that pointed me towards recumbents. But I miss uprights!

-Dave
I've got a Bacchetta Corsa and an LHT. Commute on both, but the Corsa is WAY faster. If you do get the LHT, do a proper fit. https://www.rivendellbicycles.com/htm...framesize.html <- these guys have a clue. You want the handlebars at around saddle height. For touring I'm thinking of going to a tadpole trike like a Catrike Speed. https://www.catrike.com
Old 05-06-06, 04:47 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have neck trouble, often seems to show up after sleeping. I was worried about touring on my upright. Oddly, it seems the cause is computer time, and I had no neck problems while out on the road and sleeping on the rough. Probably not going to be the dsame for anyone else...
Old 05-07-06, 03:02 AM
bificurated

Bikes: Cannondale 3.0 Criterium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll second the neck pains while at the comp. I feel great on the road.