Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Being good to my perenium

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 02:50 PM
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Being good to my perenium

I'm quite new to the track, and I had some major crotchal issues this past saturday at the Kissena instructional session. On my Soma, I normally have a brooks b17, rising stem, bullhorns and 47x17. Comfy. When it morphs into track form however, it has a really uncomfortable Avenir saddle, drops, flipped rising stem and 47x14.

Which of the following will do the most good for my nether region area between the boys and the void?
-Cycling shorts (probably better for the boys than the perrenium, right?)
-Cutaway saddle (which one?)
-Tilting saddle downwards?
Old 05-08-06, 03:27 PM
spinlikehell

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard to say exactly as everyone has different, er, needs in that area, but a coupla points:

- I'd say a definite yes to proper cycling shorts. I use Assos and De Marchi ones and like em both, plus cheapies that come with the team kit. You're generally not riding for long periods on the track, but proper shorts can still stop things getting pinched / rucked up etc

- Why did you flip yr stem over for the track?? If its more comfy for you on the road rising upwards, then I'd suggest leaving it that way on the track. You're already effectively lowering yr bar height by maybe 8-10cm by moving to drops from bullhorns.
Flipping the stem may look more 'track' but leave that stuff to the NJS street kiddiez / velospace pos(t)ers In your case it's only exagerating the increased distance between yr saddle height and yr bars and you ain't gonna gain any speed by being slightly more aero if you're fundamentally uncomfortable on the bike. Your bike handling will also be better with a less extreme position, and this'll help you to win more races on the track than any ultra low position will.

Welcome to the track - keep at it, y'll love it

HTH

mickster
Old 05-08-06, 05:27 PM
it's your bicycle bells

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy -- I was out at Kissena the other day, didn't get a chance to talk to you (I was on a Fuji track, riding in the smaller group uptrack from you guys while you were pacelining). Glad you dug it, no reason to be in pain though.

I second the advice...Of course get shorts or bibs, and beyond that I'd say you should leave as much as you can the same between your road (or fixed-street bike) position and your track position; some people like to be rotated a tad forward -- seat a cm forward, bars a cm down), but many, many others set things up identically; so far as I can figure out (does anybody have a better explanation) the downward-angled stem is a relic from the days when people were riding much bigger frame sizes for a given height. These days the only time you really NEED a downward angled stem is if you're putting a bike into double duty as a pursuit/TT bike and absolutely have to get your position lower on the tops for aerodynamic reasons. Otherwise keep your level or slightly rising stem and just swap the bars.

And don't tilt down the saddle; that's only useful if you have some kind of lower back injury you have to compensate for, otherwise it'll just make your hands hurt as much as your rear.

And leave the Brooks on there -- no reason not to go with whatever works for you. I have a San Marco Regal on every bike I own, no matter what its purpose is, for instance.

Last edited by popdelusions; 05-08-06 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-08-06, 06:19 PM
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good advice both. I'll get the shorts.

I dont think the B17 would be any good down in the drops--its like a hammock when you can get your sit bones down squarely on the back, but when leaning forward in the drops, the sit bones and the saddle form less of a right angle and more of an acute angle, putting more weight on the perenium. I think I'll look for a good cutaway, but otherwise take the above advice.
Old 05-09-06, 06:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cut away saddles dont work for everyone. In fact its proven to be a bit of a scam. If your "regular" saddle is possitioned right and your sitting on it properly you wont get those "issues" Specialized speaks of. Nearly eveyone at my shop had one on their Allez's this year and last and took them off almost right away. I rode one last year and hated it. Next time your at the track or a shop ask to sit on a couple bikes with differant saddles.

A personal fav of mine is the Fizik Nisine. I just took it off the track bike and put it on my road bike. Ive been riding that saddle design for 5 years now. Now on my track bike is the most bear bones racing saddle ive ever seen; SGD Ti-Fly. For somthing as stupid light, areo(witch makes no differance) and low profile its freeeekn comfee.
Old 05-09-06, 09:23 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by genericbikedude
Good advice both. I'll get the shorts.

I dont think the B17 would be any good down in the drops--its like a hammock when you can get your sit bones down squarely on the back, but when leaning forward in the drops, the sit bones and the saddle form less of a right angle and more of an acute angle, putting more weight on the perenium. I think I'll look for a good cutaway, but otherwise take the above advice.
It was good to see you at the track this past weekend. As a new rider myself I can relate to the problems that you are having. I would pick up a good pair riding shorts or bibs to ride on the track, they do make a difference. I would also leave your stem the way that it is. There is no reason to change what works for you. I originally was running a zero degree stem but it wasn't comfortable to ride in the drops. I know that you love your brooks so why not bring it to the track and see if that works.
Old 05-09-06, 09:36 AM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I'd suggest trying a concor, regal or flite type of saddle for the track.
I also have a B17 and just can't see it on a track bike, with the steep
angles, in the drops positioning it seems it would roll you too far forward.
Personally I don't think cut outs do much, a properly set up saddle that
fits is just as good (imho).

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.