Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best way to add adjuster barrel to RD?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 02:31 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

My Shimano XTR 960 rear derailleur was made with no cable-adjuster barrel. The intent was to use the adjuster on the shifter end to trim the unit. Unfortunately, I'm using the derailleur with some down-tube mounted Exage shifters, and there's no adjuster anywhere in the system!

My LBS suggested putting an inline adjuster in the short loop of housing from the rear chainstay stop to the derailleur, but I was hoping for something more elegant.

Is it feasible to tap the cable receiver on the derailleur and put an adjuster there? If not, are there any other options I've not thought of? I do want to keep the down-tube shifter.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-06, 03:30 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I hate rear derailleurs that don't have a barrel adjuster. To me it definitely trumps any coolness factor the derailleur might have otherwise. Frankly, a lot of the cable adjusters that fit onto down tube or head tube cable stops pretty much suck too.

Without having one to look at I'd be guessing about the possibility of drilling and tapping the cable housing fitting for a barrel adjuster. I'm thinking there probably isn't enough material there to make it work but it might be worth a try. It would be a kind of pricy mistake it it doesn't work. If it was my bike I think that I'd upgrade to an XT derailleur, with cable adjuster, for about half the price.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 05-10-06 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 05:20 PM

Bikes: '64 Schwinn Traveler, '73 Astra Tour de France, '79 Fuji Gran Tourer, '86 Dahon folder, '94 Specialized Hardrock, '95 GT Timberline, 2005 Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drilling and tapping the cable housing fitting would be a gamble. The derailer body is the only piece of the derailer that doesn't have an individual part number on Shimano's spare parts diagram.

I don't know if you could fit a barrel adjuster to the cable stop on the chainstay or not. Your LBS is correct about the inelegant inline adjuster solving the problem, though.
Old 05-10-06, 05:39 PM

Bikes: '64 Schwinn Traveler, '73 Astra Tour de France, '79 Fuji Gran Tourer, '86 Dahon folder, '94 Specialized Hardrock, '95 GT Timberline, 2005 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did some more thinking.

Could you just stick a Jagwire Rocket Adjuster, into the cable receiver of the derailer? The Rocket is intended for the shifter cables of STI brifters, but one might work.

I couldn't remember the name earlier, but a Jagwire Mickey Adjuster might fit into the cable stop on the chainstay.
Old 05-10-06, 08:16 PM
118AHC "Thunderbirds"

Bikes: Numerous (wife says to many)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My vote goes to post #4
Old 05-11-06, 02:54 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spunkyruss
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll check'em out!