Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cloth tape to match a green Brooks

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-12-06, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts

I used Viva Japanese tape over a layer of gel tape and brushed on five coats of clear shellac to darken it. The ends of the tape are finished off with the laces from my dress shoes. I never wear them anyway. I think I came pretty close. If anything, the color could use some brown, so maybe amber shellac would be better. The tape is a bit too shiney for my taste, so I plan to brush on one more coat with talcum powder added as a flattening agent.

https://community.webshots.com/photo/...68014369jHohCP

As long as I'm showing off my handiwork, here's the Controltech seatpost I polished for it. You can only buy them in black. I hope it's stronger than it looks!

https://community.webshots.com/photo/...8014369ISyCwl#

I drilled and tapped the stem for a Japanese bell. I picked up the idea at Jitensha Studio, where I bought the bell and tape.

https://community.webshots.com/photo/...68014369mduLDn
Old 05-12-06, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice looking ride. I have one of those green Brooks and absolutely love it. Had it abot 2 mos. now. Your Green Manalishi looks good.
'84 Trek 850--spinbackle-built, '85 Trek 670 Campy Nuovo Record--project, '87 Trek 560 SS/Fixed--project, '87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp w/ Deore XT--Specialized-built, '87 Rossin Record, '03 LeMond Wayzata--commuter,
'?? TST Mtn Bike frame--project, '07 Tsunami Tandem--home-built
Old 05-13-06, 03:16 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Old vs New

I never thought a new sloping TT bike could look good with all those retro touches, I was wrong. That really looks nice. I always liked the green Brooks saddle. Problem is none of my bikes are painted a color that would look good with them.
Your bike on the other hand, really looks nice. Your next project should be one of the limited red saddles. Keep up the good work.

Tim
Old 05-13-06, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Thanks, but it's a thirteen year old mountain bike with modern touches.