Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Surly LHT with wrong fork size

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-15-06, 03:34 PM
Bring That Beat Back

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I won't go into too much detail about how it happened, but during the build-up of my LHT, I have realized that I was shipped the wrong fork. Yes, I purchased a 58cm frame, but was shipped a fork for the 26" wheel models. So anyway, I didn't realize this until I already had the fork cut (just a small cut, most of the stem is still visible).

Sooo...is there anyone out there about to purchase one of the smaller LHT frames and would like to grab the 700c size fork and we could pull a switcheroo? I know that Surly sells the forks individually, but can you even order one in the correct color (powder blue or whatever it's called) or do all of the forks come in black only? I'm a bit miffed about the entire thing, but I have a feeling that since I already cut this one I'm SOL.
Old 05-15-06, 05:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would contact the LBS and tell them what happened. I probably wouldn't notice the difference until I mounted a wheel.

They did send you the wrong fork. See if they will fix you up.

-Dave
Old 05-15-06, 05:06 PM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I would be suprised if they didn't replace the fork. It is not your fault you were given the wrong fork.

I had some problems with my LHT frame and I am currently waiting for the replacement to arrive.
Old 05-15-06, 06:27 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm sure they will make it right. Too bad you cut it, I need a 26" LHT fork but I need the whole thing.

I will point out a fairly obscure fact that has me excited, but I am sure will not be of any interest... Well anyway. If you use the 26" fork you can use some linerar brakes with regular drop brakes, or brifters without any need for a travel agent, assuming you use the 26" wheel with 700c wheel. Not sure you can get away with that on your frame though, since it might not be the right height with the wrong fork and 700c wheel.

In my case, however I am after the 26" fork just because I am running that size of wheel.
Old 05-15-06, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
I will point out a fairly obscure fact that has me excited, but I am sure will not be of any interest... Well anyway. If you use the 26" fork you can use some linerar brakes with regular drop brakes, or brifters without any need for a travel agent, assuming you use the 26" wheel with 700c wheel. Not sure you can get away with that on your frame though, since it might not be the right height with the wrong fork and 700c wheel.
Um, no, you can't, if I'm understanding your post correctly. Fork and wheel size have not a whit to do with brake lever compatibility. V-brakes work with v-brake levers. Traditional cantis and caliper brakes work with normal brake levers. Playing with fork and wheel size isn't going to change this.

Anyway, I'm sure that both your LBS and Surly will acknowledge the mistake and correct it. Bad business practice if they don't.
Old 05-16-06, 06:43 AM
Bring That Beat Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll see what they can do. Thanks for the posts.
Old 05-16-06, 01:29 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"Um, no, you can't, if I'm understanding your post correctly. Fork and wheel size have not a whit to do with brake lever compatibility. V-brakes work with v-brake levers. Traditional cantis and caliper brakes work with normal brake levers. Playing with fork and wheel size isn't going to change this."

Wrong, it changes the relationship of the boss to the rim, and as a rusult it changes the take-up ratio. The only problem is you can only use U-brakes with adjustible pad positions that reach the new rim, and even then how much leverage you have remains to be seen, still it's low profile, and it works.
Old 05-16-06, 04:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same thing just happened with me. 58 Surly with a 26" fork and didn't realize it until LBS was putting the wheels on. Bought it over the net from universal cycles. They are sending out a new one and paying for shipping of the old one back. Have no idea if my LBS cut the fork, but will be suprised if Universal Cycles or Surly has the gall to ask me to pay for it if it was cut. Their screw-up, not mine.
Old 05-26-06, 10:07 AM
Bring That Beat Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turns out that my fork was the right size after all...looks like the problem was that the mounts for the front brakes were welded on in the position that they would be if it had been a 26" fork (i.e., they were in the correct position if you measured from the bottom up for a 26" fork). I've never heard of a defect like this with Surly's products, but I'm not surprised that it has happened to me (dumb luck).

Anyway, they're sending a new fork and it should be here today so hopefully I'll be able to be riding the LHT this weekend. My only concern now is that they're going to send the wrong color and I'll be stuck with a strange combo. I so want to simply ride this bike, it's killing me.
Old 05-26-06, 11:01 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You now have the perectly customized fork to run motobmx brakes with brifters or any other road levers.

So the obvious question is... did they get the rear brake mounts in the right spot?
Old 05-26-06, 11:06 AM
Bring That Beat Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
So the obvious question is... did they get the rear brake mounts in the right spot?
The rear brake mounts are in the correct place for the frame size. I imagine that they're going to want the defective fork back, although that hasn't been asked of me yet. I don't think I would ever run anything other than cantis on this frame, so I don't think the current fork is of much use to me. I suppose I could throw on a smaller wheel for kicks sometime.

Still, this whole incident has put a bit of a sour taste in my mouth as far as Surly bikes are concerned. I figure that will pass once I finally get the chance to ride this beauty.
Old 05-26-06, 11:37 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I bet Surly has a sour tast in their mouth about their supplier. Seems like a simple eror in tooling. It might be an idea to build the tooling so the boss jigs can't be indexed on the wrong forks.

Sending the fork back does sound like an unecesarry expense for everyone. I'd buy the fork if my touring bike didn't have a 1" stem.
Old 05-26-06, 11:45 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My Surly LHT had the canti studs welded on incorrectly on the fork and frame. Seems like they are having some QA issues. I am getting a replacement frame - someday...lol!
Old 05-27-06, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently building a LHT for my sister, 49cm. The brake bosses are fine for the 26" wheels but the fork crown and rear brake bridge leave enough room for a 700c wheel. Is this normal? The fenders are gonna look funny in my opinion. Anyone have pics of a complete build of a 26" wheel LHT with fenders?

Last edited by Moose; 05-27-06 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-27-06, 09:08 AM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
do a google search on the net you'll find lots of LHT pics, but this is the owner's group site - the guy who runs it has a 26" LHT w/ fenders.

https://surlyville.net/surlylht/
Old 05-27-06, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what's google?
Old 05-27-06, 05:14 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
are you serious? www.google.com - its a search engine
Old 05-29-06, 10:16 AM
Bring That Beat Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Supposedly my replacement fork will be in tomorrow, so I'll post an update if all is well at that point. I just can't wait to ride this bike.
Old 06-01-06, 09:17 AM
Bring That Beat Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the replacement fork came in and all is well. I absolutely love this bike.

All of the Surly bashing over the past few weeks is now gone. I have nothing but good things to say.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.JPG (99.6 KB, 14 views)
2.JPG (91.5 KB, 20 views)
3.JPG (99.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-01-06, 10:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your new LHT, Old Dirt Hill! I just finished mine a week or so ago and it is a joy to ride. Now head on over to https://surlyville.net/surlylht/ and include your build in the 'owners rides" section.

-Dave