Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Singlespeed Frames

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Singlespeed Frames

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Singlespeed Frames

I've decided to make or get a singlespeed bike. What is your favorite place to find singlespeed bikes or singlespeed bike frames?

Here a webpage about singlespeeds, for those who haven't seen it yet:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

So far, I have found two websites selling singlespeed frames and bikes:
https://www.irocycle.com/framesets.html
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/singlespeed.html

What other options are there?

Personally, I'm looking for a singlespeed road bike. I want something light and simple. After many years of never shifting, I've slowly decided that maybe what I really want is a singlespeed.

My only form of transportation is my bike. I want a light, powerful bike that's dependable. Virtually all of my riding is around town on asphalt or broken cement. I always stay in my hardest gear (44-11), so I'll want to put my own gears on the new bike. So a simple frame is fine, even preferable -- unless a whole bike is cheaper. I realize I'm not a professional racer, and I don't want to spend thousands of dollars shaving off the last few grams of weight. I'll pack less tools or go on a diet instead. But I do want value for the price. Something that's efficient and dependable, and not extremely expensive.

I've tried the local bike shop, but they only have one singlespeed option, and they'd have to special order that.

Does anyone have advice on finding a good singlespeed bike?
Old 05-15-06, 10:58 PM
Ride for Life

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
my suggestion, find a $5 old steel frame with horizontal drops, make a SS out of a rear wheel, one of the two ways (depends on the hub, see sheldon as you've found)... see how you like it

oh, and my favorite site to buy frames and bikes is eBay

as for brands... IRO is good, Surly has some good stuff, Bianchi makes the San Jose which is pretty cool. many many companies make SS's now
Old 05-15-06, 11:00 PM
armchair touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iro. ebay. search the forums.

yep...
Old 05-16-06, 03:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are there any companies that are particularly good? What do you recommend?

I can search ebay, but only once I know what is a good bike.

I do want a light, efficient singlespeed: price is not the only factor. I already have an old mountain bike on hand which I'm using for spare parts. I can use the steel frame to create an inexpensive singlespeed, but then it would be a singlespeed with a heavy, clunky mountain bike frame with massive shocks. What I really want is something small and efficient.

I would like this to be my primary bike for transportation; something I really enjoy riding and can continue to enjoy for years to come.

Anybody have a favorite singlespeed or have an online supplier that they recommend for its quality versus the price?
Old 05-16-06, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even an old typical classic frame from the 40s-80s (the cheapest frames out there really) would weigh under 20lbs when all is said and done.
Old 05-16-06, 07:31 AM
LTD

Bikes: raliegh fix conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just find an old road frame that you like and is the right size. Then strip it down and build back up using the bare minimum. I suggest a coastie on the rear wheel, but a free wheel and hand brakes are great also. This is what I did and my bike cost me $50, and it's got several hundred miles on it and holding strong.
Old 05-16-06, 07:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a road frame or mama san bike

S/F,
CEYA!
Old 05-16-06, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by born on a bus
Just find an old road frame that you like and is the right size. Then strip it down and build back up using the bare minimum. I suggest a coastie on the rear wheel, but a free wheel and hand brakes are great also.
This is actually my next project. A Nexus internally geared with a coaster brake. Or maybe an SRAM, I don't know.
Old 05-16-06, 08:05 AM
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by whoosh!
search the forums.
(sometimes it's helpful to include what search terms would work...)

IRO gets great reviews all the time and is a wonderful option for lots of reasons. other companies selling affordable SS/fixed gear bikes are bianchi, KHS, Fuji, Raleigh, specialized. or, mercier and its "bikesdirect" brethren, motobecane messenger, dawes lightening (low-end stuff branded with older, respected names that BikesDirect bought the rights to)--always available on ebay.

www.sheldonbrown.com has an article about converting old road bikes to fixed gear or single speed. also on what to look for from an old road frame. these can be found at thrift stores, garage sales, garbage piles... once you start looking for parts to scavenge, you'll start seeing scavenge-able parts all over the place.
Old 05-16-06, 09:15 AM
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
World class cycles has a good frame for $450.
https://www.worldclasscycles.com/track_frames.htm