Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Safe to clean chain with WD-40?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I did a search of the forums and couldn't find a good answer to my question, so I'll ask here.

I have an old Specialized mountain bike with a somewhat rusty chain on it. I figure to clean the chain, I could just let it soak in a bowl of WD-40, and then just dry it off and apply bike lube. I've read some things on the internet however, that say WD-40 shouldn't be used on a chain as a lube. My question is, is it still safe to use for cleaning purposes?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 05-17-06, 04:56 PM
Why Be Normal?

Bikes: 2005 Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WD-40 is a water displacer/penetrating oil and would be fine to use to attempt to bring back to life a chain that's seen better days. It would break up the surface rust and penetrate the links to get where you can't. Typically to clean a chain I use Simple Green and then use a paraffin based lube on it. BUT, your questions is specifically aimed towards cleaning up an old chain.

Probably the best choice would be to get a new chain but then you'd really be better off getting a new cassette too, and that adds up. I'd do exactly what you're doing, clean that one up and see how it does..

Last edited by Gorsar; 05-17-06 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-17-06, 05:03 PM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a messenger it was my lube of choice in the winter, kept a can in my bag always. Yea use it for cleaning if you want it'll break up alot of the crap. Makes a wonderful cologne as well, for that mysterious grease monkey vibe.
Old 05-17-06, 05:14 PM
Hardtail

Bikes: Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some good answers.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ght=chain+lube

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ght=chain+lube

Beyond that once the smooth finish of your chain becomes rusted it is still serviceable but it now has a much more abrasive surface that will accelerated the wear of your rings and cogs. This is no real big deal but I point it out in case you want to prolong the utility of some perhaps hard to replace components. New chains start at about $9.
Old 05-17-06, 06:01 PM
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I used it. It works, just only for about 1 ride. Get some real chain stuff.
Old 05-17-06, 06:42 PM

Bikes: Intense SS, Old spesh P series, ski/snow bike, fixie conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used it to clean my rusted over chain too. I stuck it in a bowl filled w/ WD-40 over night and then washed the WD-40 off with water and then dried it. Finally slapped it back on the bike and lubed it up. It works wonders!!
Old 05-17-06, 06:45 PM
Flatland hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I killed many a chain as a kid using WD-40. I would advise against it, even as just a cleaning agent. If your cassette isnt ancient and still in decent shape, i think you'd be better off with a new chain. They are quite cheap.
Old 05-17-06, 07:12 PM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My chain rusted solid three times this winter [lots of road salt to melt the snow and corrode my bike], and I brought it back to life all three times with sloppy quantities of Finish Line Wet XC lube. It's alot like Phil's Tenacious Oil, but not as sticky. Hose'r down with that, go for a ride to 7-11 to get a Slurpee, wipe it down when you get back. Repeat as necessary. Don't drink your Slurpee too fast or you'll get brain freeze. Here endeth the lesson...
Old 05-17-06, 09:13 PM
dirt is good

Bikes: norco wolverine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This reminds me of when I told my dad that I needed to lube my chain and that I would do it when I got home from school. But when I got home my dad told me that he couldnt find my Chain Lube that I had specifically for my bike so instead he just used gun oil :O I hope it doesnt do anything gay to my Chain or anything like that.
Old 05-17-06, 09:16 PM

Bikes: doesnt matter. just ride.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its gross. keep it away from bikes
Old 05-17-06, 09:18 PM
ec velo

Bikes: XC: PUSS; Winter Beater: GT avalanche SS; Jump: Transition Trail or Park; Fixie: Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is a hotly debated topic. wd40 vs. advanced chain lubes. I've used both. Depends on how much you care about/ how much you've spent on you bike. I use wd40 on my single speed winter beater; wd40 will never touch my 3k xc racing machine.
Old 05-17-06, 10:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always used wd-40 for a chain lube. My last bike I bought new in '96. I rode it for 8 years and only replaced the chain once. Just lube your chain before and after every ride and also after washing your bike.
Old 05-18-06, 01:12 AM
I'd rather be riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use WD-40 to flush the nasty road gritty bits out of my chain, give it a good wipe, repeat until pretty dern clean and finish up using some proper chain lube.
So far it has worked a treat and I ride my bike just about every day rain, hail or shine.

Hope that helps
Old 05-18-06, 02:13 AM
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its good that WD40 displaces water and carries away grit. The next question is whether proper chain lube will displace what WD40 leaves behind after its volatiles evaporate away. If not, it may be a problem.
Old 05-18-06, 08:19 PM

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, DeVinci Podium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well I'm THINKING (for a change)......... that most of us get the idea...

WD40 isn't a good lubricant, but it can have a good use cleaning, and prepping a chain for a good lubricant. I see alot of threads for guys using, (abusing) WD40, 'cuz we've been brought up thinking this is a lube;

I have half a dozen lubes - some dry, some wet, and don't ride in either real wet or real dusty conditions but will say that the (nearly) silent "hum" of a clean well-lubed chain is wonderful.
Old 05-18-06, 08:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WD-40 is a miracle fluid for many purposes and squeeky chains is one of them.

But, beware! Mixing WD-40 with other lubes will break down the hard working lubes on the axle bearings and also will break down the lub in your freehub. If you regularly WD-40 a chain, plan to rebuild/relube your axle bearings more often.

Everything in moderation!

BTW, another way to drive out water is isopropal alcahol, the %'age kind. Then you know the chain is ready for a proper chain lube.

Funny comment on the Water Lube... Water is actually a very good lubricant... used properly