Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Floyd Landis

Old 01-07-03, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Floyd Landis

who else in here think floyd landis rules. I mean Lance Armstrong will also be the best. But Will Floyd Landis be the next Armstrong?
Old 01-15-03, 07:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess he's cool.

He's a great rider, quite capable as a time trialer and a climber, but not quite good enough at either to be a threat in any grand tour. How old is the guy? He's at least 26 as far as I know. I think he's too old already to develop into something resembling Armstrong calibre. When Armstrong was 26 he had already won Fleche-Wallone, 2nd in Liege-Bastogne-Liege, and had won a World Championship (to list but a few).

Although Landis' 2nd place in the Dauphine Libere (next to Lance) is impressive, it must be noted that his ability to have placed so highly in the first place was because he took about 15 minutes out of most of the other riders in a breakaway he was involved in during one of the early stages. He held to the top of the leaderboard commendably, but I personally think that it's highly doubtful we'll see that happen again. He'll have to genuinely earn placings like that in the future -- other teams won't let him get away in a long break.

It should be noted that Lance has been a team leader since he was 22. It's unfortunate for riders like Landis, but because he is currently riding as a domestique for Lance, he won't get the opportunity to assume leadership for AT LEAST another two years.

Again, he's a great rider. No Lance, but I'd say he's sixth best American (behind Armstrong, Leipheimer, Hincappie, Hamilton, and Rodriguez).

- Maurizio
Old 01-15-03, 08:42 PM
Mad For Marinoni !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand that Floyd broke his hip this past week so we will have to see how that affects his career. I'm sure it will not be positive.
Old 01-15-03, 09:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, Landis did break his hip. But frankly, I think it may be good for his career, due to the changes in his upcomming season it has caused.

Bruyneel has stated that Landis will now, in all liklihood, ride the Vuelta. Look what happened to Vandevelde last season when he was excluded from the USPS Tour squad. He rode the Vuelta, and was MAJOR help to Heras (actually, he was about the ONLY help to Heras as Rubiera seemed to be a bit off...). Vandevelde got his chance to really prove himself as a capable climber, and all around good stage race rider to not just the USPS team management, but also to other, less well funded European pro teams that might be in search of a leader who commands a sallary less than those of the established stars of the sport.

Landis will assume a much greater degree of leadership and possiblity as part of the Vuelta team than he will at the Tour, and that extra leadership is what provides career opportunities.

- Maurizio
Old 01-15-03, 11:13 PM
Donating member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maurizio,

I don't disagree with you that in the long run this could work out for the guy...but man are you ever a heck of an optimist! That is a good trait and I mean it as a compliment. A guy that can find a positive outlook in a broken hip for a cyclist is a guy that sees the cup as half full.

Good on ya'

FantasyBikeRace is now FREE to play!
Old 01-22-03, 11:04 AM
Sneaky Slow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
has anyone heard anything in the way of recuperation time for FL? i read that postal thinks he'll be ready for le tour, but haven't heard anything definite. i'd hate to see anything hamper this kid.
Old 01-22-03, 03:53 PM
xc AND road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Floyd's website is here.
Old 02-15-03, 10:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by easyrider
Maurizio,

I don't disagree with you that in the long run this could work out for the guy...but man are you ever a heck of an optimist! That is a good trait and I mean it as a compliment. A guy that can find a positive outlook in a broken hip for a cyclist is a guy that sees the cup as half full.

Good on ya'
Old 02-15-03, 10:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We all know another biker who had a major, life threatening, setback in his career and most of us think his career turned out o.k.
Old 02-18-03, 10:51 AM
Mr. Cellophane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forget the exact recovery timeframe, but it seems to me everyone seemed confident he would be in shape for the Tour or at least the Vuelta. Whether he can get ready in time to convince Bruyneel to actually ride the Tour is another question.
Old 02-19-03, 11:17 AM
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I heard a brief interview with Landis and also the doctor that did the repair work on his leg (Testa?). The bone was screwed back together w/titanium screws, so he was back on his feet immediately, but had to lay off serious training for a while. The recovery would not be nearly as long as with the normal break repair (6-8 weeks in a cast). Landis felt like he would miss some of the early action in Europe, which was okay because of the lousy weather, but that he'd be back in action early enough for consideration for the TdF squad.