Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Mountain bike tire suggestions

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 05-25-06, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need new tires. I blew out a side wall today on the set of Bontrager Jones AC tires I swapped from a parted out trek 4300. These tires are so much better than the specialized eduros. Much lower rolling resistance. However, they seem alittle loose in the corners. Any suggestions on better tires? I am on a budget so tires that cost 50 clams a piece ain't gonna fly. I ride mostly tight single tracks, a mixture of up hill and down hill, I like to ride on the fast side.
Old 05-25-06, 08:29 PM
Ain't gonna nuke me

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Vertex 70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Continental Escape and Explorer 2.1. They're wide but they don't look it and they corner like crazy and go through anything. Durable as hell (IMO). and can last a long time. Worth the extra clams.
Old 05-25-06, 08:49 PM

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kenda Nevegal's. Tire of the year!!!

$35 ea

Panaracer Fire XC Pro's (I ride and love these) You can find them on the net for $30pr.
Old 05-25-06, 08:54 PM

Bikes: Trek Fuel 70 (Upgraded)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently got The panaracer Fire XC Pro UST tires and i love them compared to my old bontragers.. (at least i think thats what those old ones wre.... )
Old 05-26-06, 05:02 AM
no hills in HH

Bikes: Giant ATX880 XC rig moded, Whyte PRST-1 modded.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Continental gets my vote too, I'm running Vertical 2,3 and Explorer 2,1 on my HT and FS.
Old 05-26-06, 10:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kenda Nevegal on the rear and Kenda Blue Groove on the front.

Stick-E rubber of course!
Old 05-26-06, 10:24 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeggelaar
I like Continental Escape and Explorer 2.1. They're wide but they don't look it and they corner like crazy and go through anything. Durable as hell (IMO). and can last a long time. Worth the extra clams.

That is my favorite all around tire combination as well. They are fast, they climb, they handle rocks and they shed mud reasonably well. Can't beat them. However, for dry, fast courses I will go with the Kenda Karma's. Those are great tires unless it gets muddy.

Originally Posted by chelboed
Panaracer Fire XC Pro's (I ride and love these) You can find them on the net for $30pr.
They are great tires, they just have real high rolling resistance. Also, be careful with the cheaper Panaracer FireXC Pro's. They have a different thread count than the more expensive resulting in them weighing about a pound more than their "claimed" weight.
Old 05-26-06, 10:30 AM
later

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LowCel
They are great tires, they just have real high rolling resistance.
+1..

Before i switched from my Hutchinson Pythons to my Fire XC pro's, i didnt think i would be able to tell the difference in rolling resistance, but jeez, sometimes it feels like im pulling a trailer behind me. Im considering ditching the fire xc's and picking up another set of Hutchinsons if i can find a cheap pair. I just wish they werent so bloody expensive.

I also have a set of michelin wildgrippers kickin around that i think i will try out next week.
Old 05-26-06, 11:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bontrager Jones AC is the worst you can have some don't worry. Continental is nice
Old 05-26-06, 12:04 PM

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[/QUOTE]They are great tires, they just have real high rolling resistance. Also, be careful with the cheaper Panaracer FireXC Pro's. They have a different thread count than the more expensive resulting in them weighing about a pound more than their "claimed" weight.[/QUOTE]

I thought the Fire XC Pro's were lighter and more expensive Kevlar bead.
Fire XC (not Pro) are heavier steel bead.

Right or wrong?
Old 05-26-06, 12:14 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed
I thought the Fire XC Pro's were lighter and more expensive Kevlar bead.
Fire XC (not Pro) are heavier steel bead.

Right or wrong?
There are two versions of the kevlar bead. There is the pricepoint version which is 60 (or 66) tpi casing and there is the nice version which is 127 tpi.

"This is the true, made in Japan top-quality 127 TPI Fire XC Pro. Watch out for inferior, 66 TPI Taiwan versions of this tire which are heavier and wear quicker. "
Old 05-26-06, 12:35 PM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeggelaar
+1, although I find they tend to float a bit too much in scree and gravel. The rear is almost worn out, so I'm thinking of a Weirwolf or something with a more aggressive tread for getting over rock ledges and roots.
Old 05-26-06, 12:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had great performance with Fire XC Pro's - good wear durability for rocky technical riding. Tried Michelin Wildgrippers once and hated them - way too soft, tread wore down faster than any other tire I've ever tried.
Old 05-26-06, 01:09 PM
Show Me What'cha got

Bikes: old school Giant Attraction MTB (where it all started),old school Schwinn High Plains MTB (XC and long ride duty), Mosh DJ3 (BMX basher), and Trek Bruiser 1 (freeride and full of mods and still growing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maxxis Ignitor foldable is/ or should be around $35

[EDIT] universalcycles.com had ignitors for $30 for the 60tpi version and $36 for the 120tpi version
Old 05-26-06, 06:38 PM

Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panaracer Cinder 2.25. very fast, very grippy, very durable( especially the sidewalls at low psi) and very inexpensive at Performance now. about $50 a SET and these tires 'aint skeered' to go fast and wont let you down.
I was riding with a guy yesterday and forgot he was using a lesser tire as we bombed down this curved hill with loose river rock as a gravel in a sharp turn. I hit it at 20mph without braking and while the bike was loose a little it was controlled. my man backed way off because he was all over the place. skill wise he kicks my butt all over the trail but was on less aggresive tires.
they weigh more than Fires but dont feel like it on the bike and outperform them hands down
they kick butt on any condition Ive ridden and I havent had a pinch flat yet in over 2k miles. this is my second set
Old 05-26-06, 08:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Jones AC are better than the specialized eduro. I couldn't beleive how much less rolling resistance the Ac tires had. With the eduros, it felt like I was draggin an anchor.
Old 05-26-06, 09:09 PM

Bikes: 2005 Specialized hardrock pro... pike426, e.13 drs, fsa gap crank, formula k24's, and some more/2006 Scattante R-660 easton circuit wheels.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i HATE specialized enduro's with a passion... id be faster riding with a snow tire than those
Old 05-26-06, 11:21 PM
Team Katana

Bikes: None /cry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On another forum sombody was raving about the WTB Velociraptors, when looking for them to see how much they cost and how they look I found there sister tire the Nano Raptor.

Here is a link https://www.blueskycycling.com/view_p...hp?pid=1064_52

Anybody have feedback on these, I need a good rolling tire for the 5/7 days of the week im on the road but dont want "slicks" because chances are even my road riding will have me off the road alot these look like a great dual sport type tire.

while on the subject how are the velociraptors for pure off-road biking. I think my local trails have alot of loose stuff and sand, not worried about off road tires till the ones that come on my bike are worn down.
Old 05-27-06, 05:40 AM
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
nano raptor doesn't look to have much common with the velocitaptor to me. The Velociraptor has great performance in most conditions, the nano looks strictly hardpack to me.
Old 05-28-06, 09:39 AM

Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velociraptors have a LOT of rolling resistence, especially on hard pack or pavement. the best all around tire WTB ever made( that being off road, on road) was the enduroraptor.it was hard as a rock for great on road speed and durability yet still did well off road as long as the conditions were not loose or muddy
Old 05-28-06, 10:09 AM
djentleman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
Anything from Maxxis.
Old 05-28-06, 10:45 PM
Team Katana

Bikes: None /cry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks I wont be getting the nano's then. Good special on some semi slicks online 10$ each but with 10$ s/h each... I hate to pay double ^^ going to see what my LBS has to offer before I order anything online.
Old 05-29-06, 12:16 PM
BloomBikeShop.com

Bikes: A few.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
IRC Serac or Mibro.

Once I started using Seracs I haven't been able to use anything else! (I think the Mibro is the new version, so it's probably good too.)
Old 05-29-06, 12:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not the OP but since we're talking about tires I thought I'd ask... any recommendation for grippy tires that won't let me down too much in wet rooty trails?