Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Road to MTB

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Road to MTB

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 08:44 AM
Chasing the Century

Bikes: Scott Speedster S2, Cannondale F600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road to MTB

Hey all. I'm a roadie that just purchased a MTB yesterday. Picked up the CDale F600. I was very surprised at how well this bike rode. The only MTB I had ridden was an old Huffy POS that weighed as much as my car, was uncomfortable and shifted like a car without transmission fluid in it.

The bike came with the Shimano type clipless pedals. I have Time pedals on my road bike that I like alot. I found it a little difficult to clip into the new pedals. Does it get easier when they are broken in, or is it just a difference I've got to get used to. I was considering trading these out for a set of Time ATAC XC pedals. Does anyone have any comments/suggestions on pedals?

Also, it seems like it might take a little more getting used to clipless on an MTB. On the road, once your rolling you aren't doing a bunch of maneuvering around on loose soil, so it seems like I need to be ready for some spills from not unclipping quickly enough.
Old 05-26-06, 10:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to adjust them, there is a little hex adjuster on both sides. turn it all the way tight then back it off. You will feel it "click", count the clicks so both sides of both pedals are the same. Your foot should pop right out with a slight outward twist of your heal. Its best to play with them on soft ground like a grassy field where you can fall and not get hurt.

Remeber they are not ski bindings!
Old 05-26-06, 10:54 AM

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper, Giant TCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You just have to get used to it... i switch back and forth between my two MTB's, (Candy SL and Shimano SPD systems) and my road bike (Shimano SPD-SL). I always find that clicking in to the road bike is a pain in the ass until i get used to it about a mile or two into the ride. Primarily because you can't click in from either side... gotta rotate the pedal around to get the right position.

When i was younger i used to watch the road bike guys trying to balance themselves at stoplights like circus-rejects. Now i know why...

So why stick with the pedals for the road bike? Because they feeeeeel goooood and offer a very stable and even platform for road riding. Way worth trying the ass-clown balancing act if you hate clipping out.
Old 05-27-06, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might want to adjust the release tension. SPDs are about the easiest pedals to use- (although I prefer eggbeaters for mtn)