Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling Clothes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-06, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling Clothes

I'm wondering what the point in cycling clothes is... I mean if I just want to use a bike to get from one place to another as a means of transport, having to carry multiple sets of clothes seems kind of pointless. What's a jersey going to do that the top I had intended to wear wouldn't be doing anyway?
Old 05-28-06, 01:26 PM

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The jersey is better for sweat, and the shorts have padding for comfort. etc etc etc etc. . . . .. . . .
Old 05-28-06, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you don't break a sweat, it doesn't matter

if you sweat

keeps you from feeling clammy
Old 05-28-06, 02:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So do you guys wear these clothes every time you ride (like if you're going to work or a friends house or shoping) or just when you're riding for the sake of riding?
Old 05-28-06, 03:01 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
There are also issues of wind resistance, and freedom of movement. The only dedicated cycling clothes I wear are gloves. If I were into longer distances, I could change my style.
Old 05-28-06, 03:11 PM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4564646544
So do you guys wear these clothes every time you ride (like if you're going to work or a friends house or shoping) or just when you're riding for the sake of riding?
I commute to work on a bike. I like to wear dresses and skirts, and even when I wear pants, I don't like getting them muddy or dusty. My bike has a chain guard, so that's not a problem. I'm not a great sweater, but even riding slowly and sedately to work will give my clothes a somewhat ripe odor. It's not a big deal when not working, but I deal with the public in an office environment. Also, I live in the Pacific Northwest. Riding to work in the driving rain requires a change of clothes.

I actually don't own any "cycling-specific" clothes other than gloves and a pair of chamois undies for longer rides. When I ride, I do like to wear synthetics that wick moisture and will dry quickly. So I have some poly and cotton/poly t-shirts and some fishing pants and shorts that I picked up cheap at the Columbia Sportswear Outlet store here in Portland. I have a semi water resistant windbreaker from Sierra Trading that was also cheap. It has some reflecting stripes on it for riding in the dark. I think it was originally sold as "running gear". When it is colder, I have some synthetic long underwear that's good at keeping the sweat away.

I am saving for a good set of raingear for next fall/winter, but it's expensive. I can cope with the rain this spring because the worst of the cold is gone.

Outside of work, I wear whatever best suits the occasion.
Old 05-28-06, 04:15 PM
Not evil! Misunderstood!

Bikes: Gary Fischer Tassajara Disc GS, Motobecane road bike (needs fixin up)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the nike dry fit shirts cause they wick away the sweat and are comfortable. I wear mt biking shorts cause, well I am sure I don't look good in regular biking shorts. They have the nice Lycra or spandex or whatever inside with some padding. Keeps things from rubbing together when sweaty and chafing. I unfortunatly sweat a lot so just a t-shirt isn't very comfortable and if it is a bit cold, you get colder. I have a waterproof running jacket and am going to get some pants for commuting cause like donnamb, I am in the PacNW and rain is abundant. I keep my work uniforms at work and take them home and clean them and bring them back on my day off so I don't have to carry them around with me and let them get all wrinkled.
Old 05-28-06, 05:09 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Commute in what's comfortable for you. I used to commute in my work clothes when I was working construction, I was going to be filthy and smelly before break anyway When I was working at the hospital we had lockers and the commute was a bit longer so I wore more cycling specfic clothes, typically padded shorts with a regular tee shirt in the summers, wool leg warmers and fleece in the winter. For rain gear I still prefer a cycling specfic poncho. The only other thing I reccomend is make sure whatever top you are wearing is bright colored. Nothing PO's me more than to come close to clobbering a cyclist because of poor visibility. Dark hoodies and dark pants and no reflectors work wonders for increasing the risk of getting killed.

Aaron
Old 05-28-06, 05:34 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great troll bait there.

The skin tight lycra, mistakenly called spandex, helps support those big thigh muscles like compression shorts.

They are compression shorts with padding to soften the ride and prevent chafing.
Old 05-29-06, 06:54 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look man if your riding to work and not really going far or you work someplace where your eventually going to sweat and/or get dirty anyway then don't bother with a second set of clothes; if you work in an office and have to ride more then a few miles to get there and bad odors could be an issue then use a second set of clothes for work and do a bird bath in the bathroom upon arrival.

You also don't need to get expensive with bike clothing if you don't want to or don't have the desire to look like Lance Armstrong. Walmart sells jerseys called StayDri? for about $14 that is make of 100% polyester which is the same material that expensive jerseys use...however, polyester will stink faster then cotton or especially wool. If you just riding just say 8 miles to work a cotton T or golf shirt will work just fine. Also shorts, you don't need a padded spandex short if your going less then 12 miles! You could use cargo shorts or gym shorts whatever.

If you plan on doing longer rides after work or on weekends then by all means get padded (stay away from gel padding) spandex shorts or MTB shorts (I prefer because their looser fit and are more comfy), Perfomance sells the cheapest ones I've seen. Also again refer to Walmart for their jerseys because I have a $85 "high tech" polyester jersey and Walmart Jersey and can't tell the difference between the two; I also have wool jerseys which I prefer over the polyester especially on long rides but those are expensive.
Old 05-31-06, 04:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the Nike Dri Fit t-shirt here. They come in plenty of colors and can be found cheaply at a Sports Authority, etc....especially good if you don't like the skin tight look.
Old 05-31-06, 05:03 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Today. I had some near by errands. So I wore Mtn Style Bike shorts. By Zoic, I think... The chamois just does not compare to those in lycra. Made my arse hurt. Normally never notice arse aches. Rode a total of 12 miles maybe,hurt more than 50 in lycra.
Old 05-31-06, 05:12 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm wondering what the point in cycling clothes is... I mean if I just want to use a bike to get from one place to another as a means of transport, having to carry multiple sets of clothes seems kind of pointless. What's a jersey going to do that the top I had intended to wear wouldn't be doing anyway?

If you have to ask what the point is, then you probably don't need them.
Old 05-31-06, 05:38 PM
Kelly Drive Amateur

Bikes: '86 Super Sport with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to wear cotton t-shirts/shorts for 10-30 mile rides. When I started doing longer distances, I switched to cycling shorts (with light running shorts over them) and proper cycling jerseys. They are so much more comfortable that cotton, I always wear them and will never go back unless just for my 3-8 mile commutes.
Old 05-31-06, 06:38 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Nice TROLL
Old 05-31-06, 08:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Nice TROLL
I'm not trolling, I was genuinely interested. But since I've only once cycled more than a couple of miles, I'm not sure there's much point in them for me. I'd spend more time getting changed than riding...
Old 05-31-06, 09:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wear regular shorts and t-shirt or wicking t shirt to commute to work - then I change into teaching clothes - I worry about the smell in warm weather - in winter I sometimes just wear the clothes I am going to teach in - but not always - I keep work shoes in my office. My commute is only 5ish miles each way. when I go longer than 10 miles or so I make sure I am wearing bike shorts because of comfort.
Old 05-31-06, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Falcone Alpini
Another vote for the Nike Dri Fit t-shirt here. They come in plenty of colors and can be found cheaply at a Sports Authority, etc....especially good if you don't like the skin tight look.
Yes, they are terrific. I found a version that was being sold as a "soccer shirt". Very cheap. Comfortable. Does not look goofy when you are shopping at Krogers. The "Cool Max" shirts are equally good. One of those shirts, cut-off jeans, a pair of sandals...cycling doesn't get any easier.
Old 05-31-06, 10:06 PM

Bikes: 1999 Norco ht mtb/2006 C'dale road bike/2007 Colnago CLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me I found some nice t-shirts on REI that has UV 50 protection near the bikes/tri/running section; ~$30. I'm fairly sensitive to the sun. They are quite tight fitting and much softer & lighter than the polyester t-shirts I used to wear for soccer; though a little more expensive.

I wasn't able to find any (cheap) bike t-shirts that has UV protection.

Was surfing around the net just now and found out they're supposed to be for wave surfing/swimming.
Old 05-31-06, 10:28 PM
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep..... but then i don't ride my bike to go shopping or to work.... so yes.... every time i go riding.... i put on the "get up"!
Old 05-31-06, 10:35 PM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I'm not trolling, I was genuinely interested. But since I've only once cycled more than a couple of miles, I'm not sure there's much point in them for me. I'd spend more time getting changed than riding...
Have you thought of taking up cycling?