Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Biking with kids????

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Biking with kids????

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-01, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking with kids????

Anyone out there have any experience with cycling with small children?

My wife and I are expecting our first child in the fall. How possible is it to cycle with very small children? How big should they be before you strap them onto a bike? How do you strap them onto a bike? What equipment is available? Any things to watch out for? Anecdotes? Answers to questions I haven't even thought of?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-01, 09:09 PM
riding a Pinarello Prince

Bikes: Pinarello, Prince and an FP5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think an ideal age to strapped a kid on bike carrier would be about 3 years old, I am not saying I am an expert on this, I am just responding to your querry, I have used the kid bike carrier with my three year old son and I think its safe
Old 06-04-01, 09:40 PM
Love Me....Love My Bike!

Bikes: Bikes: Giant hybrid, Trek 4500, Cannondale R800 Some commuting 20mi/day, mostly fitness riding - 20-50 mile rides

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just started my grandaughter in a bike trailer. We started a month or so ago when she was 18 mos. It just happened she was the right age when the weather started getting warm enough. In general I think they don't recommend the trailer too much before that, but definitely the child has to be able to keep their head up by themselves.

One thing is that if you get a helmet, and I definitely think you should, it is a little difficult to get one for a very small child. My g'daughter loves the trailer, but the helmet is the one thing that she isn't fond of. Yesterday we had her out for about 10km, with a stop for ice cream part way, (which was a great hit!),she slept for some of it, and seemed to love the ride.

I haven't had any experience with the seats, but with either the trailer or seat, I think you have to introduce them to it gradually by going on short rides first, and set a good example by wearing a helmet yourself.

Being able to take the child with you is great, it will allow you to get out on the bike much more than you would otherwise, and the fresh air is good for the child, too.
Old 06-04-01, 10:19 PM
Dances with Rocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there's some good info here Bubba. Good Luck and Be Safe!
Child Safety

To become a registered member of BikeForums Click Here
Old 06-04-01, 10:49 PM
Love Me....Love My Bike!

Bikes: Bikes: Giant hybrid, Trek 4500, Cannondale R800 Some commuting 20mi/day, mostly fitness riding - 20-50 mile rides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like good info for anybody Dirtgrinder.
Old 06-05-01, 07:12 AM
Just Follow Your Feet!

Bikes: Volae Expedition, ActionBent Tidal Wave II, Nishiki Olympic, Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend that uses a child carrier. It uses a Blackburn rack which clips on or off the child carrier. So when not bringing Jr along, you can just use the rack. He has three little ones, so he also uses the trailer sometimes, and has been very pleased. The trailer has seat belts, a mesh screen, and if it starts to rain, a clear vinyl top. There is some storage in the back end. If you jog, it can be used as a jogging carrier as well. He paid about $125 for a Pacific brand trailer.

Last edited by AlphaGeek; 06-06-01 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-05-01, 04:50 PM
TB Player

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My son has been riding with me for about a month (when I finally got around to buying a seat). He turned two this past weekend. He loves riding with me, and doesnt' mind at all wearing a helmet...even when I don't wear one. He also likes to wear a bandana. I think I could have started him out on the bike seat when he was about a year and a half. As long as your child has balance when sitting upright, it is okay to have the child ride with you on a bike seat. My son tends to get excited sometimes and wiggles around in the seat. The shift in weight could cause me to lose my own balance.

Make sure you DO NOT buy a BELL brand bike seat from a discount store. They are extremely difficult to put together and they have to stay mounted on your bicycle. Go to your LBS and buy a child seat that is already put together and will slide and lock onto your back rack. It is very convenient. Good luck!
Old 06-05-01, 05:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dirtgrinder
I think there's some good info here Bubba. Good Luck and Be Safe!
Child Safety
Dirtringer, yes, they are very informative and educational, I like the website
Old 06-05-01, 11:20 PM

Bikes: Trek 4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the link! I was wondering if there was a good policy on riding with your kids that are older--6 years old and 12 years old. Should one ride in front of them or behind? I was thinking behind them. I usually ride by myself, but I was thinking of having them ride with me to the park, or within a few miles.
Old 06-06-01, 01:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to ride with my kids in a trailer when they were 3 & 5 years old. It was the rigid plastic one with seat belts, Mesh cover and a rain cover. It was a great workout lugging the extra 100 lbs around - especially on windy days when the trailer acted as my parachute!!! But my fondest memories are when the snacks ran out in back (and I knew the exact moment that happened) and the pushing and shoving would escalate into a full blown war back there - and I would happily peddle my little crew pretending to be oblivious to the carnage going on in the trailer!!! Well, they've since outgrown the 'Plastic Cage' and I have a third wheel (is that what you call that??) and one on his own.

To answer your question........ I feel more comfortable riding behind so I can keep a good eye and act as a 'guide doggy' keeping my little herd together and heading in the right direction.

(p.s. - love your logo - TechnoGirl - 'Who lives in a Pineapple under the sea - Sponge Bob Square' ............ you know the rest!!!!)
Old 06-07-01, 08:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was able to take a day off June 7, coz, will bring my son Miguel to his pediatrician and after that I will spend some "Quality time with my son", and ride my MTB w/ a child carrier to the Don Valley Bike path this whole afternoon.
Old 06-07-01, 06:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got back from the bike ride with my son Miguel and we had a very happy time together....
Old 06-07-01, 07:53 PM
Love Me....Love My Bike!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good for you, racsO! Another future BFC member on the way!
Old 06-11-01, 11:26 PM

Bikes: Trek 4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, GirlzNGear, thanks for the advice. I will attempt to ride with them soon...me trailin' behind. My daughter told me today she would like a bike just like mine, but smaller of course, since she wouldn't be able to reach the pedals of course. She was listing what she wanted for her birthday (it's in Sept) , and that was on the top of her list.

Yup, love Spongebob! If you haven't seen the "Jellyfish" episode, it's a definite must! That episode had me ROFL!
Old 06-12-01, 08:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good advice, one and all! Thank-you.

So I guess it'll be a little while before I get to take the bean cycling.
Old 06-12-01, 10:42 PM
Love Me....Love My Bike!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing you have to be when biking with kids is prepared (just like in Boy Scouts).

Last weekend we went out with the grandaughter in the trailer. We stopped for ice cream, and as she was walking around eating, she stopped and I noticed her diaper was down around her ankles. The sticky stuff that holds it on had come off.
My SO tried to put it back together, but once that stuff comes apart that's it, it won't stick anymore.

Enter my seat bag. Among other things, I carry some duct tape rolled around a pencil. (Mike also mentioned this in an earlier thread). I was able to cut some off and repair the diaper, and we continued on our way.

Now nobody can kid me for carrying all that stuff around all the time!
Old 06-12-01, 11:53 PM
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duct Tape! I knew i was missing something in my camelbak