Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Converting a flatbar to drops

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright, Im getting stuck on what shifters/brake levers to get to switch my bike from a flatbar to dropbar. I have an 8 speed with a double crank and V-brakes, which is making everything kinda tough for me. Im pretty new to cycling so any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-01-06, 11:03 AM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ElSetho
Alright, Im getting stuck on what shifters/brake levers to get to switch my bike from a flatbar to dropbar. I have an 8 speed with a double crank and V-brakes, which is making everything kinda tough for me. Im pretty new to cycling so any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Option 1: Bar end shfiters, DiaCompe 287V brake levers.

Option B: STI with Travel Agent pulleys to make the brake cable pull match.

Even if you could find them, I wouldn't recommend buying 8-speed shifters unless they are _very_ cheap. It makes more sense to upgrade to 9-speed, since the expensive part of this conversion is the shifter, and you already need a shifter!

The only additional parts you need for 9-speed are a new chain and cassette, and these are normally consumable parts anyway--odds are yours are already close to due for replacement.

Some folks will tell you that you need a lot of other stuff to convert an 8-speed bike to 9-speed, but they're wrong.

Also, you can generally use the 9-speed shifters with your old 8-speed cassette by using the "alternate cable routing" shown at https://sheldonbrown.com/alternate

Sheldon "Nine, Ja!" Brown
Old 06-01-06, 11:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, thanks a lot man. I actually did find some 8 speed shifters for pretty cheap, my main concern is if they will work with my v-brakes or if I need to upgrade my brakes as well. Also, is it possible to use a shifter made for a triple crank on a double?
Old 06-01-06, 12:35 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ElSetho
OK, thanks a lot man. I actually did find some 8 speed shifters for pretty cheap, my main concern is if they will work with my v-brakes or if I need to upgrade my brakes as well. Also, is it possible to use a shifter made for a triple crank on a double?
You will need the Travel Agents to make the brakes work, or else convert to traditional center-pull cantilevers.

Anything that works on a triple crank will also work on a double, because 2 is less than 3.

Sheldon "Interchangeability" Brown
Old 06-01-06, 03:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heck, i just converted a older peugeot US express from flats to drops. and i used a stem mount shifter. this bike is a 14 speed. and friction and works great. except missing tape on one side......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
usexpress02.jpg (90.3 KB, 28 views)