Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Burley Solo Seating Position ?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 07:16 AM
JoeWolcottCT

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I don't know what happened with my earlier attempt to post this question.....my PC hung and then posted a blank entry.....

Anyways !

I have recently purchased a Burley Solo for my now 19 month old daugther. She's average height & weight. I took her for two rides of 14 & 17 miles last weekend and I've noticed a couple things.
The seat & harness do not appear to keep her seated upright enough. By mid ride she's slid down to where the strap that comes up from between her legs finally holds her but this is far too low. There's not really any adjustment that I'm aware of to remedy this as the bottom of the seat is fixed and the strap must come around the edge of the bottom before going up to buckle with the shoulder straps.
I must say that after listening to all the glowing reviews of Burley trailers in general I'm somewhat disappointed that I now have to look to jury rig something after the fact so that my daugther can maintain a more normal, upright seating position.

Any thoughts or suggestions ??

Thanks,

Joe Dowski
Oxford, CT.
Old 06-06-06, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is that what looks "normal" to you may not be normal to her. You and I . . . well, you . . . might be uncomfortable in a semi-reclining position, but she may not be. I didn't have a trailer when my children were small, but I have several friends who've used them, and as I recall, the kids nearly always did seem to slide down. If she's not fussy about it, though, what's the harm? If I were concerned, I'd write to Burley and ask them about it.
Old 06-07-06, 07:02 AM
JoeWolcottCT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response Velo,
Her seating position ends up being with her from the neck down nearly horizontal with just her head kind of tilted up......I am just surprised that I haven't read about it from other users of the trailer. I feel like I did my homework prior to purchasing the Solo. My daughter is plenty old, large, & strong enough to be riding in the trailer at 19 months so I just feel like I missed or wasn't told something. That's why I was hoping to get some comments from other trailer users....particularly Burley Solo users.....

Originally Posted by Velo Dog
First thing that comes to mind is that what looks "normal" to you may not be normal to her. You and I . . . well, you . . . might be uncomfortable in a semi-reclining position, but she may not be. I didn't have a trailer when my children were small, but I have several friends who've used them, and as I recall, the kids nearly always did seem to slide down. If she's not fussy about it, though, what's the harm? If I were concerned, I'd write to Burley and ask them about it.
Old 06-07-06, 12:58 PM

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Joe,

My youngest is a very petite 3.5 year old, and we have a 'two seater' Burley Bee. Like most trailers, it has a sling type web seat that provides little real back support. More like a hammock than a traditional seat. As a result, she looks pretty slumped before long. Her only complaint is the head tilted forward issue related to the helmet, but by placing a folded towel behind her (neck to knees), there is space for the rear overhang of the helmet.
Old 06-14-06, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Our daughter lvoes the solo but also seems to slouch a bit and again the problem seems to be more that it pushes the helmet over her eyes. There are a couple of straps at the top of the seat that can be loosened to provide a reclining position (for napping I suppose) and when I tightened those as much as possible the slouching was reduced. Burley talks about the "recessed helmet pocket" on this and other models but that doesn't seem to exist. If my daughter were taller, her head would be above the back of the seat and the helmet would have room between the above mentioned straps. I think I might try to put a cushion or something for her to sit on that will put her high enough to have her head above the top of the seat to correct the helmet problem. Also, I found after a bit of experience that the shoulder straps can be quite tight and still be comfortable for her and that helped with the slouching a bit too.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-14-06, 01:33 PM
JoeWolcottCT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response Jim,
My thoughts regarding tweaking the seating position have run more towards doing something to move the strap that goes between their legs farther up forcing the my daughter to maintain a more upright position. I would have to cut a hole in the seat pad though so before I do that perhaps I'll try and fashion a seating pad of my own to see if it works before I cut the Burley pad. I would probably try to get the Burley pad stitched too around any cut I make so as not to create a fraying problem.....

Any other ideas ???
Old 06-22-06, 10:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd call Burley

We have a 2 year old d'Lite (I think it's similar to the current models) and have done various things over the past 2 years as our son has grown. When he was too small to reach the "helmet pocket", we put a small pillow behind him. This kept him upright and enough distance away from the back of the seat so that his helmet didn't get in the way. Now that he's a bit taller, we don't need the pillow and we adjusted the tension straps to give him back support. He sits in there very comfortably. If the solo has a similar seat to the d'Lite, I'd suggest that you just need to adjust the straps at the top and back of the seat (behind the seat in the storage compartment). If it doesn't seem obvious, I'd just give Burley a call - their customer service is very friendly and helpful (I called them to get a replacement flag after I got mine caught in the garage door.)