Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Tri clothing for women?

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Tri clothing for women?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tri clothing for women?

I'm new to triathlons (did one 2 years ago and didn't know what to do then either) and am trying to figure out what clothing women wear or what are the options?

I'm more interested in how a tri suit (either one piece or two piece) works when running? I.e. does the suit act as a sports bra also - is it that supportive/tight/fit in order to do that during the run? If the suit does that, then what to wear biking and running makes sense to me (bike jersey then running shorts for the run)...otherwise it seems you need to put a sports bra on for the other events after the swimming event.

Thanks for any help/comments/suggestions!
Old 06-05-06, 11:03 AM
Poseuse.

Bikes: giant ocr3, adapted to triathlon as best it can be. 1976 kia "star" women's "racing" (soon to be a beater commuter bike, it's brown!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heya, there are two recent-ish threads about this in the women's forum, too. It's a hard call because people feel more comfortable and troll-free about omgzwomenhaveboobies over there, but tri-specific should be over here! I'm going to copy-paste, and you could PM Koffee Brown to get into the "Ladies' Room"....

"I started out with a combo of various options, but came down to a one-piece tri suit with bike shorts, and a quick-drying actual triathlon sports bra under. Yes, it's compression-only, but if you're doing a 1/2 IM, you want the durn thing to dry before the run so you're not chafing. Try everything on for chafing possibilities, and stock up on a lovely product called BodyGlide.

Anyway, links to what I wear :

Zoot is a bit cheaper, and I like their fit, but most stores don't stock their bras so I didn't get a chance to try one on. I firmly believe in that, and will drive over an hour to find stuff to try before buying.

I came to the one-piece suit because a top rides up, showing my belleh. I also like longer bike shorts, tan line and what not. Wearing the one-piece with a bra enables me to unzip quickly for the portapotty before donning my wetsuit, or to zip up entirely for the bike (no bugs in the cleavage), or to unzip for breathing room on the run. And that is why I wear what I do.

HAVE FUN!"
Old 06-05-06, 02:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info and I'll PM her.
Old 06-05-06, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posed this very question a month or so ago -- you'll see it in the Women's Forum when Koffee gives you access.

In short, I wore the Tyr trisuit that Sweetharriet recommended, with a dri-fit Champion sportbra (this one) underneath.
Old 06-05-06, 06:29 PM
One day at a time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In defense of the good character(s) around here - they're really all a bunch of good guys... with guy senses of humor, that's all. This remains a fabulous forum so don't be afraid to stick around!
Old 06-06-06, 07:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Women's forum

I PMed Koffee Brown, but no response yet that I can tell. Where is the women's forum located (I don't see it on the list of forums?)? Is it hidden from view until you have access?

Thanks-
Kate