Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dumb things to do after a Bike Wreck..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought it was o-k to go into a pit at a punk rock show (last night) the day after I got into a bike wreck. >_<

Anyone else have stories?
Old 06-07-06, 08:37 AM

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Walk the wrecked bike back home, and mount my other bike and go back on my merry way. After a couple minutes my bruised leg started to give me pain.
Old 06-07-06, 08:58 AM
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride a century a few days later.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 06-07-06, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twahl
Ride a century a few days later.
right now I'm having trouble walking.
Old 06-07-06, 11:38 AM
Hidden playable character

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara commuterized, Evil Imperial stealth bomber, Sun Custom Cruiser, Punk Rock Trike of Doom (in progress), and an S&M Holmes (sentimental).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try to sleep it off. It's a much bigger hassle find a ride to the ER in the middle of the night.
Old 06-07-06, 12:18 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I cracked my ribs in one of my crashes ... and got back on the bicycle the next day, and went for a ride. Not a good idea ... I ended up throwing up, which is just not a comfortable experience with cracked ribs.

In another crash I landed on my knee/leg while descending a gravel road. There was a large, deep hole in my knee (I've still got quite a scar from that!), and a few layers of skin were removed from the knee to the ankle and replaced with bits of gravel. The crash happened in the jungle of northern Australia .... I had to ride 100 miles over the next two days to get back to civilization.

Last edited by Machka; 06-08-06 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-07-06, 04:45 PM

Bikes: Tommaso Capri (upgraded), Fuji Ace, and Schwinn Racer AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
crash so hard I get knocked out, then after regaining conciouseness, telling the lady that stopped to help that I was ok, and getting back on my bike and riding home. I ended up having a concussion and I should have gone to the doctor, but I didn't even realize the true extent of what happened until I got home and took my helmet off, and it came off in two pieces.
Old 06-07-06, 05:24 PM
blithering idiot

Bikes: 1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
crawled back to the bike, wrenched the bars straight, and kept riding.
Old 06-07-06, 08:08 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neist
I thought it was o-k to go into a pit at a punk rock show (last night) the day after I got into a bike wreck. >_<

Old 06-07-06, 10:33 PM
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got hit by a truck in a parking lot... I was going about 20 mph one way, she was going about the same the other way, and she pulls a left turn into me....

I saw her coming, and aimed for a bush (the ONLY soft spot in the parking lot) .... I ended up going over her hood and landing in this bush... After hauling my bent bike home, I went to work (Where I'd been heading at the time of the accident)... Worked a full shift.

Turns out I did nearly $900 damage to the front of this lady's truck (or, rather... SHE did it, when she hit me)

I was... a little sore.

I ended up straightening my bike frame using a couple long 2x4's, and riding it the next day.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 06-07-06, 11:52 PM
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I took a very hard wipeout on the road bike that cost me my rear wheel. The dumb thing I did was to hop on my beater and continue on with my planned 30-mile ride. I didn't feel any pain during the ride, but afterwards that knee flared up like a total *****. I was out of commission from both riding, running, and soccer for close to three weeks.
Old 06-08-06, 08:05 AM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rode about 2 miles home, only to realize that my left knee cap was completely exposed (down to the bone) every time I was on the upstroke (It was January 1st, so I was wearing fleece tights, and couldn't really see how bad the cut was)

Old 06-08-06, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, you guys stories have to be worse. But I admit after I was knocked down and took a tumble in the pit some part of me said, "what the hell are you doing?" At least it was fun.

Though Im heading up to the doctor today about my arm. I usually shrug off injuries but my arm is still pretty painful to rotate. I think I may have torn a tendon or something on impact (landed on my arm first).
Old 06-08-06, 12:02 PM

Bikes: 4 Bikes: A Trek 2300,Old Nishiki lugged frame with sora/Campy wheels, Giant ATX-880 MTB & 2005 Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A car got too close and I clipped the curb and crashed (a cut open hand - later 4 stitches-lots of road rash & small cuts). A bystander called 911 and as I heard the EMS approach, I got back on my bike and rode the wrong way down a 1 way street to lose the EMS!! This was so that I could finish my first century (I was at the 95 mile point). I went to the hospital after I rode home.

Stupid!!!
1999 Giant ATX 880 MTB
Old 06-08-06, 12:13 PM

Bikes: 4 Bikes: A Trek 2300,Old Nishiki lugged frame with sora/Campy wheels, Giant ATX-880 MTB & 2005 Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the duplicate
1999 Giant ATX 880 MTB
Old 06-08-06, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Albany-12303
A car got too close and I clipped the curb and crashed (a cut open hand - later 4 stitches-lots of road rash & small cuts). A bystander called 911 and as I heard the EMS approach, I got back on my bike and rode the wrong way down a 1 way street to lose the EMS!! This was so that I could finish my first century (I was at the 95 mile point). I went to the hospital after I rode home.

Stupid!!!
Now that's hardcore
Old 06-08-06, 02:14 PM
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
The last time I was in a mosh pit I got into a fight with 3 frat boys who were to stupid to understand that the pit is not a place of anger and fighting but rather a place for agressive venting, camaraderie and fun. Then again now that I look back on it over ten years ago it was fun punching frat boys back

Bike related: I rode my bike there but ended up getting a ride back.
Old 06-08-06, 02:29 PM

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This one didnt have any extra bad effects, I was aready bad enough. On Christmas [heh 6/6/06 was luckier] I went to my cousins house with my BMX. I went ride, and I guess I didnt torque my rear axle nuts well enough. They let my chain get loose, and let it fall off and throw me at high speed onto cobblestones. I had to walk, or crawl, back to my cousins house and pass out on there sofa. Now heres the dumb thing. About a hour later, since my bmx was cursed for that day, I hopped on my cousins MTB. With my arm in a sling position, my pants cuffed into shorts with my knees wrapped like a mummy. Heh, it acually streched my cut muscles, and made it feel a little better. Then I came back and almost passed out again.
Old 06-08-06, 04:37 PM

Bikes: R3SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went and bought a lottery ticket. Hey, I figured I was due, my luck had to change. I was wrong.
Old 06-08-06, 08:35 PM
Ridin'

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
look on the bright side.... time to get a new bike
Old 06-08-06, 08:57 PM
el sombrador loco

Bikes: 1999 Trek 1000, 2006 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got into an additional bike wreck, I never did have even a modicum of good sense.
Old 06-09-06, 04:41 AM
cycling n00b

Bikes: EAI Brassknuckle fixed Sannino fixed, Thorn Club Tour, Soma Smoothie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jhota
crawled back to the bike, wrenched the bars straight, and kept riding.
+1

I did an involontary dismount over the bars at roughly 50km/h and landed on my, luckily helmet-wearing, head. I have no idea how i made it home with a slight concussion, a 15sq cm roadrash/blunt force trauma on my arm and two cracked ribs. Anything could have happened while riding in that condition, i highly doubt that I was staying out to the right side of the road.
Old 06-09-06, 07:16 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A number of years ago I had a fall on my mountain bike, I fell off a ledge and flew for awhile (it was all in slow motion - so weird!) and when I finally landed it was on the bar end of the handlebar (that was a while ago - no more bar ends on mountain bikes for me!). The end went into my thigh. Didn't puncture the skin, so after I caught my breathe and the severe sharp pain subsided, I finished the group ride and after sat and had a picnic lunch. Little did I know.

By the next day the area where the bar end hit had swollen to the size of a softball (yes very attractive). I made it to my doctor who immediately ordered an MRI. The doctor was totally amazed at what he saw and called in his entire staff to check it out (yes I was feeling very attractive at that moment). Anyway the MRI revealed a super large hematoma that went all the way to the bone and was about the size of a softball on the outside and took almost 8 months to subside (and for at least 4 months was extremely painful - I was drugged most of the time). I now have a weird depression in the inside of my thigh (like a ballon deflated).

You would think I learned my lesson for that episode - to take all injuries seriously and get immediatel treatment - but no............ !