Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake Alignment

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake Alignment

Hopefully this question hasn't been asked a million times. The search option is disabled so I couldn't look it up.

I have a stock 04 Rockhopper with linear pull brakes. Right now I've got a pair of Kool Stop dual compound MTB Pads and I'm having a hard time getting my brakes to stay quiet. I know about alignment and toeing in etc. but I was wondering how others go about installing and aligning their brake pads. It just seems to take forever to get them adjusted correctly so nothing rubs on the tire, so that they are quiet and so that they feel good.

Any tips, suggestions or techniques that help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-08-06, 04:18 AM
GranitCurbVia53x11Sprint

Bikes: Cervelo R2.5 Campy Record 10, Dean Ti 'Cross, Merlin Agilis (road), Litespeed Obed (mb), Basso (ss/fixie)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
brake allignment

I found taping a dime to both sides of the rim, and then alligning this under the brake pad as a 'third hand' an easy way to get toe-in. squeeling brakes is a majorr issue with almost any brake though, I even heard them when I watched the pro peleton ride-by in the Tour De Trump years ago. Search the forums and you'll find all sorts of comments, toe-in seems to work good, others then try toe-out, different brake pads, sanding the break pads, cleaning the rim (no oil on the rim EVER this will instantly ruin your brake pads). feel free to e-mail me direct if you'd like mor einfo.

Todd RIchards
(email: wildegallery@clinic.net)
Old 06-08-06, 07:25 AM
Bike Nurse

Bikes: A whole shop full

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its not you it the pads! Koolstops are notorious squeelers ... you'll have to compromise ... keep them on and squeeling like pigs with great stopping power ... or swap them for another brand like Jag or Aztec or ?? .. these will slow you down.
Old 06-08-06, 07:46 AM
this one's optimistic...

Bikes: cannondale r400 2006 kona smoke 2005 scott cr1 team

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like sqeeking pads. its like an alternative to a bell sometimes