Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fridays Ridazz high gravity night

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

lot of crashes friday night. must have been something in the air cause i saw at least half a dozen people go down, a couple for no apparent reason. anyone know if anyone got hurt bad? i stopped for one lass who went down over the train tracks. she got back up and kept going but i'm sure she's aching this weekend.
btw-powers that be, i keep saying the rides should end or at least return back by the start. i passed a couple people sorta lost on the way back, including a girl basically alone in the middle of downtown at like midnight, which seems kinda sketchy. there' so many people that drive to the start that ending at some random intersection across town seems a bit lame to me.
Old 06-11-06, 12:54 PM
dkb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was my first Ridazz'zz last Friday. I always figured that it would be full of hipsters and other assorted biker ilk that I wouldn't want to put up with. Also a midnite ride with 100's of people sounded like a police magnet. But it was great. When the cruiser went by at the start and megaphoned "get out of the street" and everyone took up the cry, I had to laugh.

Not ending at the start was another sketchy thought since I don't ride downtown and I had no idea where the fock "Little Pedros" bar was at when we finally arrived. I just kept my eye out for blinky lights on the way back, if there was more than one riding together, I figured that was a good bet to get back. Got back to Echo Park with no problems. With the amount of people (at least more than 50%) that drive there, I figured, hey, there should at least be a few that I can follow back. Seemed to be the case for me. With that many people milling around at the end, and everyone wanting to go back at different times, it might be tough for someone to stand out of the crowd and announce, "I'm going back, follow me!", maybe.

Unreal take-over-the streets and ride, I'm going again next month.
Old 06-11-06, 03:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're not kidding about the random go-downs. Do people not tighten their wheel bolts/QRs anymore, or something? People were eating **** for no discernible reason all night long.

FWIW, these often do seem to happen seconds after the Rida makes some loud, wacky comment to his friends behind him.

Getting from downtown to Echo Park is easy-peasy. Here's a trick to make it even easier: just find your way to Broadway and 2nd. At that point you can either go west on 2nd (it's a one-way, you can only go west) through the tunnel, veering right when 2nd turns into Glendale, or go north on Broadway (towards Chinatown) and turn left on Cesar Chavez, which will turn into Sunset. First way is mildly uphill all the way, second way you get some climbs and descents. Take your pick. There are a million other ways to get there, of course, but if you just memorize that intersection you can't go wrong.
Old 06-11-06, 07:44 PM

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It was my first Ridazz, too, and I went down. I'm from northern O.C. and generally avoid L.A., so I had no idea what to expect when we made that left onto the street with the billions of railroad tracks running down the center. I was navigating the tracks well enough; once I felt them underneath I glanced down to see WTF was under me and to make sure my wheels didn't get caught. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the effing curb-like thing that ran the length of the tracks. I tried to hop over it, but my back wheel caught and sent me sprawling to the road.

No big; a wee little road rash on my knees and a little bit of a bone-bruise on the ankle. I hopped right back up and was on my way.

A buddy of mine lost his chain going over the tracks; it was stretched and a little too loose, but he didn't eat asphault.

For what it's worth? I thought it (Ridazz) was AWESOME and I've already marked out the 2nd Friday of each month so I can go. :-)