Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Disc Brake Ride report

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Disc Brake Ride report

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-03, 01:46 PM
Part of the furniture

Bikes: Specialized RH, Scott Unitrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disc Brake Ride report

Hi guys.

I finally got both my disc brakes installed upon receiving the correct manitou adaptor. I must say that they feel weaker than my vbrakes. Bleeding is not an issue as my LBS did the job by using the new shimano bleeding kit. Is it normal as they are brand new not to be able to lock wheels? They are the DeoreXT discs by the way. .Also is it normal to see very little (veeery little) oil on the bolts of the reservoir cap on the levers? Anyway i am happy with them (since i payed them a ****load of money) and i hope that they will become stronger.
Give me some feedback crew!
Thanks.
PS . No oil on rotors or pads. Rotors dead clean (and dead new!)
Old 01-21-03, 02:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate computers...I just typed a whole thing..and it didn't post, cause my system freaked out. OH well.....

Check to make sure the oil isn't just from when they bled em. If you clean it off and it comes back then that's an issue, cause if oil is getting out, then air is getting in, and will make the brakes feel mushy and not lock up

Check the bladder to make sure it isn't ripped, twisted, crooked.

Try a new bladder.... check all that and tell us what happens

The brakes do have a break in period though too...so see what happens after you break em in, if it's too cold or you don't have big hills to break em in on fast, then get pulled my a truck and hold the brakes a little...just enough to brake em in. Be carefull thought, ya can over heat em and warp your rotors..ha ha ha

Old 01-21-03, 04:10 PM
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They will clean up. I got my first taste of discs a few days ago and they are way WAY better than vbrakes. My hayes book said to give them time to seat, and mine did in the first ride, and even got better after a couple long rides. Give them time to seat and burn all the slick stuff aff and you'll be smilin'
Old 01-21-03, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like Mike said. Discs need time to bed in and your XT's will definately need some time to bed in. What i did to help my minis bed in was while i was waiting in the parking lot i did a whole lot of consecutive panic stops to get them heated up. My friend rode up and down his driveway with his breaks intentionally dragging(he has XT's) and that did the trick just fine for him

Good luck
Old 01-21-03, 10:50 PM
Part of the furniture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what is the bladder???
Old 01-21-03, 11:51 PM
Part of the furniture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well i wiped the reservoir cup clean....but i still see some little oil residue. Is it due to the brakes beeing new? Has some oil come on the bolts and its taking its way out? i think its imposible to leak through the bolts.
Old 01-22-03, 09:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bladder is the rubber thing when you take off the resivour cap. What it does is it allows the fluid to expand and contract with out letting air in. Now if it is torn or anything like that then you'll get air into the system. In my opinion....I'd try and bleed them again and ride them for a week or so and see how it goes. It's hard to firgure out where the oil is coming from with out seeing it. Is it coming from around the bolts under the cap? Or is it coming from around the blots on top of the cap? Did the bolts get overtightend and cut the bladder? I mean it could be as simple as the bolts just got a little oil on the threads when the shop bled them and the oil you see is just from that. It's hard for me to say with out seeing it. I really hope I'm not making this to difficult!

Like I said before if you can bleed them again and take em out and ride em for a week and then see what happens then.

Old 01-22-03, 11:40 AM
Part of the furniture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All systems go chief

It seems that the oil was from the bleeding process. Some oil must have got caught on the bolts and on the recess of the bladders so with the pressure kept slowly coming out. As i woke up today i inspected it and the levels of oil were ok no more oil out. so its a go.
I am so happy after all to see my front disc installed with the correct rotor on my manitou fork.
PS. Easton EA50 stem or Raceface stem?
Old 01-22-03, 01:44 PM
reddingmountainbiking.com

Bikes: Cannondale Jekyll 3000sl, Cannondale F500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thomson stem
Old 01-22-03, 02:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
s stem is a stem as long as it doesn't snap
Old 01-23-03, 07:49 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which Raceface? If you go with the SYStem, I really like those! I also really like the Diablos.

I'm currently running a Thomson.

With the RF SYStem and the Thomson the clamp mechanism is underneath (kinda, more in front) so there are no rough edges or bolts sticking out to smash your knees upon!

I have had both, and they are both super stiff. The Thomson has a glossier finish and much smoother, whereas the RF SYStem is more cobby looking, a little rougher looking, and has a satin finish.

I'd stay away from the Easton only because I often smash my knees against the stem and those bolts hurt!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger