Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Unwanted gear shifting?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Unwanted gear shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unwanted gear shifting?

I'm a teen and know basically nothing about bike mechanics and repair, so I wanted to throw this question out.
My problem is... Just recently, the pedals on my new (used) bike have started shifting forward (as if I were changing a gear) when I don't touch the gear control at all. I don't actually end up in a new gear, but it's pretty annoying. Right now it's only when I'm in my top (or hardest gear), but I don't know- it might spread. I was using my dad's bike before this and the problem was even worse.
Is there some simple solution to this?
Or do I just ruin every bike I seem to ride?

p.s. when responding, remember i might not know the exact name of any parts you might refer to...
Old 06-15-06, 04:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cable tension to the rear derailleur have likely stretched a bit and the chain is skipping a bit because the RD is out of alignment. This web page will have directions on how to adjust the derailleur: https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

Also check out this one: https://sheldonbrown.com/autoshift.html

The other possibility is that the frame is flexing a little under heavy loads (this used to happen on old steel bikes that had a little flex in them and have the cable routed under the bottom bracket).
Old 06-15-06, 07:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So is this something I can figure out myself?
Old 06-15-06, 07:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. Follow the directions carefully and you can do it. It will likely be a very cheap adjustment at a shop, however. If you do take it in, ask them to show you how to do the adjustment.
Old 06-16-06, 06:04 AM
nyc

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix (date unkown to me), Peugeot UO-8, Soon to be IRO Angus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another funky thing that i discovered is that the teeth on the highest gear in the rear sprocket began to hook as it wore down. I had this problem constantly when I snapped my chain and needed a new one. The chain and the teeth wore at the same rate so the new chain was simply not used to the hooking.
Old 06-16-06, 06:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shipinabottle
My problem is... Just recently, the pedals on my new (used) bike have started shifting forward (as if I were changing a gear) when I don't touch the gear control at all. I don't actually end up in a new gear,
sounds like your chain is slipping over the cogs.-- if the gears are not changing. Back cogs and chain could be too worn out, and need replacement.