Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What is considered "normal" runout on a road bike wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just curious what are the normal limits for side to side runout on road wheel. I bought a new bike which came with American Classic 420s, and the LBS (a very reputable one) claims to have trued the wheels. However, when I spin the front wheel and look down at the brake pads, I can see a very obvious side to side movement every revolution of the wheel. If I move the brake pad to where it is just barely touching the rim, I can spin the wheel and get a pronounced drag with every revolution of the wheel. Any thoughts? Is it impossible to get a road wheel perfectly true?
Old 06-15-06, 06:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on what you mean by 'perfect.' I'm not a picky person so if I can get the runout (vertical and horizontal) down to less than a mm I'm perfectly pleased. I'm not riding on glass, after all, and if the spoke tension is all about right, it should be fine.
Old 06-15-06, 07:02 PM
Klaatu barada nikto

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This question comes up frequently ("What is a properly built wheel?"). The standard for bike shop repairs is Barnett's Manual and they define it as follows:

Lateral true: no more than 0.5mm
Radial true: no more than 0.5mm
Dish: no more than 0.5mm
Relative tensioning: Spokes should all be within 5% of each other.

Any experienced wheelbuilder will tell you that meeting these specs assumes a good quality rim. That being said, I just did a wheelset with CR18 rims and they met all of the Barnett's specs. CR18's are $20 rims, so you can figure for yourself what you should expect. All rims have some variations from "perfect". There are weld seams, unwelded seams, and the like to deal with. But, if your shop can't build to standard specs, they should be telling you why.

Also, a wheel built to those specs should last for a very long time, assuming no abuse.
Old 06-15-06, 07:08 PM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by bjkeen
Depends on what you mean by 'perfect.' I'm not a picky person so if I can get the runout (vertical and horizontal) down to less than a mm I'm perfectly pleased. I'm not riding on glass, after all, and if the spoke tension is all about right, it should be fine.
I agree; if I've got a millimeter or less of lateral wobble I'm happy with it. The Park Tool "Big Blue Book" says:

"Wheel rims do not need to spin perfectly straight, with zero run out, in order to be completely serviceable. Most wheels will be adequately true if they wobble laterally less than 1/16" (1.0mm), and the rim does not strike the brake pads."

Park says the same tolerance (1.0mm) is acceptable for radial trueness.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 06-16-06, 01:58 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I agree with cascade 168. And if you can see the wobble it's too much.

Al
Old 06-17-06, 08:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not hard to get a wheel to +/- 0.5mm wobble, takes skill and time in truing the wheel. Depending upon which person at the shop trued your wheels, it could be a 10-year vet or a green high-school kid working on his first wheelset. Best step at this point is to learn to true your own wheels, over 90% of the work's already been done, minor tweaking and fine-tuning is all that's needed.
Old 06-17-06, 08:12 PM
LeMond Lives!

Bikes: In 1963 my sister taught me to ride on her girl’s frame (no wonder I shave my legs) Schwinn it was blue and it weighted a billion pounds. – Gone, 2nd bike - a Schwinn Colligate (Gold) 5 speed – Traded in, 3rd bike – 1971 Schwinn Continental (Maro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_The_Jew
Is it impossible to get a road wheel perfectly true?
No it is easy to make a wheel perfectly true! As an old "wrench" when I train new people. They need to be able to true a wheel with no movement side to side....and yes it needs to be centered on the hub. Also all the spokes need to be at the correct tension.

Take it back!

Cheers